News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bassfest

Started by Onslow, June 30, 2019, 06:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I have an longstanding relationship with the streams and rivers of central NC. Most of my younger years were spent there, and when I needed amusement, or a reprieve from troubles, it is to the water I headed. Some things are difficult to let go, and walk away from.

Opportunities to fish these rivers are far and few between in this adult life, but my buddy Jeff had been coaxing me to partake in recent weeks.  He'd been texting me pics of 30 bass caught in one day on a nondescript river in Montgomery County, many of which were between 3-5 pounds.  This past Thursday, I got a call.....his family was out of town, and conditions weren't shabby. 

I barely wrapped up the chores in time Friday evening to get ready to roll in the AM. In order for me to meet at the take-out by 7, I had to get up at 4 AM.  I don't leave the house without pinching off a loaf.  I jerked awake at 3 AM, and waited for the alarm, and proceeded with the activities a bit on the tired side.  Jeff had suggested that I should have got up at three, and texted him at 4 AM so we could have started running shuttle at 6.  That boy is one sick homie.  BTW, this place is almost a 2 hour drive from my place!

The river looked great upon arrival, and the air wasn't too heavy.  We got our canoes in the river just before 8 after running shuttle.  Jeff was carrying 2 baitcasters, 1 spinning outfit, and one flyrod.  I had 2 flyrods, and one spinning rod.  Topwater fishing was largely the game we were going to play.

His first

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I lost a 2-3 pounder right out of the gate to took an intruder.  I managed to loose a couple more before getting on in hand.

This were kinda slow until around nine, followed by a one hour long uptick in action.  Plucked this one out among the rocks with a clawdad.

This river is way to rocky to fish PEs, Clousers. and most anything that sinks.  The Intruders always work well in the rocks, but all the hooks on mine are dull, and sharpening circle hooks has been a frustrating experience.

Shortly after the noon hour, we came upon some gradient. The river broadened out, dropped over some ledges that were followed by some righteous pools populated with submerged boulders.  I pulled ahead of Jeff, and anchored up near some nice eddy lines.

I noted an interesting rock flanked slot of water pouring into some deep stuff.  I tossed a Heddon Torpedo right at the ledge, and water just friggin exploded.  Got some great tuggage, leaps,  Guessing 4.5 pounds.

Things picked up again around 1.

As the afternoon wore on, the fish were getting a little picky.  Things had kinda shut down on my end, but Jeff started fishing weightless flukes, and massacre continued for him.

However, around 3, we encountered some islands where the water became braided and skinny.  This row of rocks greeted up.  I went left, and Jeff went right.  I thought my side had the most water, but the water kinda seeped through tiny channels to the right.  Jeff proceed to hook some bigguns in some skinny.

The island were a complete pain in the arse on my side.  Although the fish were there, the water was hot and skinny.  I did manage to observe a bald eagle while dragging my boat over rocks and such.

Jeff had found a sizable trib on his side of the islands that I will not name.  He ventured up, and managed to catch 5 bass back to back between 3 and 5 pounds.  Here is one of them.

Damn, 8 hours of fishing in the the bright sunshine got us lobstered up a bit even with reasonable protection.  This was fun.  Jeff had caught about 30, and maybe 12 for me.  Nothing under 12.  Most were 2 pounds and up.

itieuglyflies

Outstanding day and report. Wow! Happy to know there are still some places left that offer that kind of fishing. I only wonder what it would have been like had you actually got up at 3am!!!!!

Woolly Bugger

d:b now we're talking !

Nice reportage on a day of catching!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

That is one helluva day. Obviously that river is not fished much because the over all size of your fish is out of sight.    Good stuff !!!!

JT

Dougfish

Dayum Ken. Pulling out all the stops. And feesh.  -+;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Quote from: Stone-Man on June 30, 2019, 09:28:50 AMThat is one helluva day. Obviously that river is not fished much because the over all size of your fish is out of sight.    Good stuff !!!!

JT

It does receive its fair share of fisherman.  That being said, this is an awesome river once ravaged by the effects of textile operations upstream.  The Ararat, Tuck, Deep, Haw, Eno, SF Catawba were all once the color of dye as recently as the early 90s in some cases. Those days are long gone, but unfortunately, dams that provide power for some of these mils are still standing.

This river was slam full of fry/baitfish, all manner of mussels. What was striking was the absence of gar, and the pesky aquatic weeds that grow in the shoals and shallows in this part of the state.

Big J

That is one of the best bass reports I've seen in a good while.  Smallie fishing seems to be really rough the past couple years.  LMB ftw.

DRIFTS

Nice... I'm hearing the bugs starting to holler loud here in the trees...top water time!!!
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave