News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Rosman

Started by Cantondawg32, September 12, 2006, 13:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cantondawg32

I will be in the area of the north fork of the french broad river. Where is the best places to fish in this area?

flyman

Most of the NFFB along Hwy 215  flows thru private land. There is some public access but your best bet is to take Hwy215 toward the BR parkway. Couple miles after you past thru Balsam Grove (don't blink) look on the right side for a improved grave FS road, #140 I think? This is all public land and the road runs beside the NFFB for a couple of miles.

Does NASA still maintain a spook station near there? Anybody know?
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Cantondawg32

I'm staying on some private land on the NFFB but the fishing is not great there. I have caught a few trout though. thanks

trout_boy_II

Quote from: flyman on September 12, 2006, 21:55:40 PM

Does NASA still maintain a spook station near there? Anybody know?

OK - I'll bite - where exactly was this supposed to be?  Near the Courthouse Creek end?

TB

Cantondawg32

I have only been to the land twice. I'm not really sure of the landmarks.

flyman

http://www.bfec.us/bfectxt8.htm, quote from this link

"Rosman started operations in 1963 and ceased operations as a NASA tracking station in 1981 at which time the site was turned over to the Department of Defense. In 1995 the Department of Defense closed the facility and transferred the site to the U.S. Forest Service. In 1999 the site was purchased from the U.S. Forest Service and gifted to the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute for use as an astronomical research and education facility. See their WEB SITE for photos and history"

It was a NASA/DOD tracking/listeing station..........spook, you know slang for intel gathering

TB- I hear they are now offering map reading and GPS classes ;)
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

trout_boy_II

Interesting - didn't know that was there..  Sorts over towards Tanasee I guess.

TB