Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 01, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 21, 2020, 08:26:30 AMFishing report: Know your bugs

>>>How important is it for us to know about what insects are in the Bitterroot and when they hatch? I have always promoted the pocket guide for insects written and published by Orvis. A new book has been published, written by Paul Weamer, titled "The Bug Book: A Fly Fisher's Guide to Trout Stream Insects." This book promises us a complete guide to aquatic entomology for fly fishermen, covering all the important insects and their imitations for the entire United States. I don't know about you but I don't plan to fish all of the United States in the remaining years of my life. I plan to fish a few rivers in Montana and maybe Wyoming, but do I care about the hatches in New York or Maine? Are the insects the same there as they are here? The answer to these questions and others that you may have are in the book or books that have been published in the past. Insects won't evolve in my lifetime or in several lifetimes to come, but knowing about your own home river might be a challenge to the novice fly fisherman.

https://ravallirepublic.com/news/local/article_67bc13b6-8bfb-5de7-b9a8-6e372eb3cad4.html

Never heard of Paul Weamer, but it appears he is one hell of a photographer, and this text seems worth it.

From my brief perusal of his work, it seems he has a certain concentration on the upper Delaware River watershed.  Fishing trips to the west and east branch of the D were some of my favorite angling memories.

There was an eddy downstream of Deposit that I visited several times.  I'd perch on the left descending bank and watch for hours and hours this eddy for emerging insects.  I collected a ton of different mayflies, and it was the only place I have ever fished where a brown would be feeding on one species of mayfly, and another brown a few meters away would be feeding on another species.  It was damn fun!  I still have many of the mayfly and caddis specimens in storage.  Most of the "yellow" mayflies I gave to a researcher in Indiana who was revising the group.

More power to those that want to expand their understanding of the critters.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Kill fish to save fish: Behind Colorado's effort to revive the Rio Grande cutthroat trout

The multi-agency project to restore the native species has been years in the making. But the optics still can be shocking.

>>>On a beautiful early September day, Ken Gierhart hiked a trail familiar since boyhood to Music Pass in the Sangre de Cristo mountains above Westcliffe. As he dropped off the saddle toward the Sand Creek lakes, he noticed people heading the opposite direction with fishing poles.

"How's the fishing?" he asked one woman.

"They're all dead," she replied, saying nothing more as she passed.

Puzzled, Gierhart came upon another woman heading away from the lakes and tried his question again.

"There is no fishing," she said. "They're all dead."

This time, the angler paused to explain that Colorado Parks and Wildlife, according to signs posted in the area, had used a chemical called rotenone to kill all the fish in the lakes and Sand Creek, which meanders south down the mountain before veering west to eventually disappear, after 13 miles, into the depths of the Great Sand Dunes.

https://coloradosun.com/2020/09/24/kill-fish-to-save-fish-behind-colorados-effort-to-save-the-rio-grande-cutthroat-trout/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Alaska's Tongass National Forest combats climate change, supports Indigenous communities, provides clean water

>>>A plan released by the U.S. Forest Service will set the stage for the federal government to open millions of acres of old-growth temperate rainforest to logging and development. 

The Final Environmental Impact Statement, issued Sept. 24, is one of the last big pieces needed before the administration can remove protections from more than half of the 16.7 million-acre Tongass National Forest in Alaska.

Proposed changes would exempt the Tongass from a law called the "Roadless Rule," which is designed to protect the very wildest parts of America's forests from reckless development. For the most part, people don't want this to happen: a majority of some 140,000 public comments solicited by the Forest Service about the plan favored keeping the Roadless Rule intact. And the president of the Central Council of Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska has said this rule-making process "repeatedly disrespected and ignored sovereign tribal nations and their tribal citizens." 

https://www.wilderness.org/articles/blog/3-reasons-ramped-logging-our-biggest-national-forest-could-be-disaster#
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Nate Burr of Rexburg hoists at 31-inch Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout from the Snake River, clinching the newest Idaho catch/release state record fish.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/outdoors/yellowstone-cutthroat-trout-catch-and-release-new-idaho-record-nate-burr/277-3a0eb8a6-71ce-47ef-b210-49e68e590520

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Experienced Perthshire anglers left stunned after 20lb salmon leaps right into their boat
Arnot McWhinnie and Peter Keay, friends for decades with a combined 120 years salmon fishing between them, were left open mouthed with amazement

>>>Two experienced anglers were left stunned when a 20lb Atlantic salmon leapt right into their boat.

>>>" I heard Peter's warning shout and my first reaction was to look at the rods thinking a fish was on. Then something slammed me in the back as Peter roared a salmon had jumped into the boat.

"It was absolutely amazing. The salmon smacked me a couple of times before Peter managed to grab it and held it for a very hurried photograph before returning it to the river.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/experienced-perthshire-anglers-left-stunned-22821118
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Colorado cutthroat restored to 23 miles of Hermosa Creek
Decades-long project creates longest continuous stretch for native fish

>>>A decades-long effort to restore the Colorado River cutthroat trout to the upper reaches of Hermosa Creek has been completed, resulting in the largest continuous stretch of waterway for the native fish species in the state.

"This is a 35-plus-year vision come true," said Jim White, an aquatic biologist with Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

After Western settlement in the late 1880s, the Colorado River cutthroat trout were fished to the point of extinction. Then to make matters worse, settlers dumped other, more competitive species of trout into the cutthroat's habitat.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/349899-colorado-cutthroat-restored-to-23-miles-of-hermosa-creek
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Hatchery salmon that survived Archie Creek Fire will be raised at elementary school

>>>ROSEBURG, Ore – The 700 coho salmon juveniles from the Rock Creek Hatchery that survived the Archie Creek Fire will be raised at Eastwood Elementary School and released next spring in Cow Creek, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlifre said Thursday.

"This is a great outcome for the coho juveniles, and we're grateful for the partnership with Eastwood Elementary where we've had the ODFW 'Fish Eggs to Fry' program and a steelhead smolt program for years," said Evan Leonetti with ODFW. "It's a change for the kids to raise coho instead of steelhead, and it's a great opportunity for them to learn more about our native salmon."

The coho were the only juvenile fish to survive the fire. Another 700 adult spring chinook and summer steelhead survived and were transferred to Cole Rivers Hatchery and are being spawned to meet Rock Creek's production goals.

The fish will be headed to Eastwood elementary next week.

https://kcby.com/news/local/hatchery-salmon-that-survived-archie-creek-fire-will-be-raised-at-elementary-school
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://www.bayjournal.com/columns/bay_naturalist/wild-brook-trout-if-they-re-seen-the-water-s-pristine/article_6d7f1f86-0f1c-11eb-abdd-0ba0d2747f4f.html

>>>Recognizing the uniqueness of eastern brook trout and its decline in this region, an alliance, the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture, was formed in 2004. This partnership of state and federal agencies, regional and local governments, businesses, conservation organizations, academia, scientific societies and private citizens is working to protect, restore and enhance brook trout populations and their habitats across their native range.

Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture works on a variety of activities including identifying and prioritizing brook trout restoration and conservation projects; restoring brook trout habitat using bank stabilization, instream structures and streamside plantings; removing dams and other stream blockages; and promoting livestock fencing.

These efforts not only help brook trout but provide economic benefits to local communities by providing buffers against flooding, increasing fishing and other recreational opportunities, and improving the local environment.

From 2006 through 2018, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's National Fish Habitat Action Plan funded 88 eastern brook trout conservation projects from Maine to Georgia: three in Maryland, 14 in Pennsylvania, three in New York, five in Virginia and nine in West Virginia. Two hundred forty different organizations were involved in these projects at the local level.

Forty-nine projects enhanced 240 stream miles, while another project enhanced 157 acres of lake habitat. Twelve projects resulted in enhancing and/or restoring 357 acres of riparian habitat.

Forty-three projects removed 103 barriers to fish passage, reopening 321 miles of stream to brook trout and other fish species.

For information about protecting and restoring brook trout, visit the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture at easternbrooktrout.org.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

U.S. Secretary of the Interior Bernhardt Announces 30 New National Recreation Trails in 25 States

>>>Like administrations before it, the Trump Administration continues to add new National Recreation Trails across the country. And 1,275 new trail miles are now open to the public.

From national water trails to accessible trails for people with disabilities, new National Recreation Trails are now in motion across the country.

U.S. Secretary of the Interior David L. Bernhardt announced the new trail designations from Lake Mead National Recreation Area. There, 76 miles of the Colorado River became a new national recreation trail, the Mohave Water Trail.

"I encourage Americans to get outside, enjoy our incredible public lands, and visit a nearby national recreation trail. Spanning more than 83,000 miles, larger than the interstate highway system, the National Trails System provides easy access to a wide variety of outdoor experiences," said Secretary Bernhardt.

(It's important to note that these 1,200 miles of trails already existed; they are just now getting a new designation.)

https://gearjunkie.com/new-national-recreation-trails-2020
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Alabama Shakes frontwoman Brittany Howard on solo music, fly fishing and feeling like an alien

Anthony Mason talks to Alabama Shakes frontwoman Brittany Howard about going solo, making deeply personal music about family, love and racism, and how you're most likely to find her in the river these days, fly fishing.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Arizona Agencies Will Pay Anglers To Catch Brown Trout At Lees Ferry

>>>Lees Ferry on the Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam is a world-famous rainbow trout fishery. But in recent years a different nonnative fish, the brown trout, has started to grow in numbers. The brown trout is a predatory fish that gobbles up not only the rainbows but also endangered native species in the Grand Canyon. Now, state and federal wildlife agencies have come up with a plan to reduce their numbers. They're paying people to go fishing. Starting today, anglers can earn 25 dollars a head for catching and harvesting brown trout. KNAU's Melissa Sevigny spoke with Ken Hyde, chief of science at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, about the new incentive program.

https://www.knau.org/post/arizona-agencies-will-pay-anglers-catch-brown-trout-lees-ferry
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Flooding and Blocked Streams Endanger VA Trout

>>>This week's heavy rain caused flooding in areas where streams are blocked by rocks, leaves and tree limbs.  Those barriers are an inconvenience for people, but they're threatening the survival of another species beloved here in Virginia.  Sandy Hausman reports on a team effort to save our brook trout. 

Claire Catlett says she's got the best job in the world – wading into Virginia streams on behalf of the Piedmont Environmental Council.

"As you walk in the creek, you're able to catch the fish in your nets and put them in buckets," she explains. "If there are enough young fish, it  shows us that they are reproducing.  We also want to see the bigger fish, because that means this habitat is suitable for longer lifespans."

For months now, she and her colleagues have been counting, measuring and assessing the health of colorful brook trout and American shad -- to find out if manmade bridges and culverts are causing a build-up of rock and soil -- keeping fish from swimming upstream to lay their eggs.

Celia Vuocolo and other scientists are working with engineers to improve the odds for Virgiia's brook trout.

https://www.wvtf.org/post/flooding-and-blocked-streams-endanger-va-trout#stream/0
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A lesson in patience from a man who loved life

>>>Some people love to share life.

Pete Buckley was one of them.

Pete was a member of the community. He was a member of the Rotary Club, involved in non-profits, ran his own insurance business, had his ring of friends and with his wife, Muriel, raised a family who attended Warwick schools and have stayed on to have families of their own.

Pete had a passion for fishing and especially fly-fishing and that's what introduced me to his spirit of adventure.

As fishermen are renowned for, Pete was adept at telling a good tale. The circumstances surrounding a catch would come to life as he described reading a stream's flow, watching the hatch, selecting a size 18 royal coachman from his fly box and tying it to hairline tippet before deftly casting between the overhanging branches to have it drift freely downstream.

That would be the moment in his story when he'd pause. He had you hooked.

https://cranstononline.com/stories/a-lesson-in-patience-from-a-man-who-loved-life,156855?

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fish Tales: Montana loses another fishing legend

>>>On Nov. 10, 2020 Montana lost another fly fishing legend, Paul Roos of Lincoln.

If you are a guide or outfitter, have fished the Big Blackfoot, or leafed through an Orvis catalog you have probably heard of him. If not, his name will go down in history with many of the great conservationists in the fly fishing industry. Pat Barnes, Dan Bailey, Bud Lilly, and George Grant are a few that come to mind.

His name is synonymous with the Blackfoot as are the others and the rivers they made a living on and helped protect. Paul began his guiding career in 1970. At the time, the Blackfoot wasn't much of a fishery.

https://ravallirepublic.com/news/local/article_c143dbf0-ede5-537b-9929-01c877c8f3b9.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

FISH ON!
Tom Rosenbauer Bio

>>>Tom is a self-proclaimed geek whose desk has long disappeared under stacks of books, papers, and fly-tying materials in mad-scientist disarray. He is credited with bringing bead-head flies to North America, and is the inventor of the Big Eye hook, Magnetic Net Retriever, and tungsten beads for fly tying. He is the kid who spent his youth capturing reptiles and amphibians, and while the other kids played sports, he was fishing on a pond near the school and discovering wild brook trout in a suburban Rochester stream. A bicycle to local streams evolved to a car headed to the Catskills and Adirondacks. He was a commercial fly tier at age 14.

https://www.orvis.com/s/tom-rosenbauer/15263
me -There's a season?