News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Boy Scouts of America!

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 24, 2017, 07:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I am writing in response to the article published in the Charlotte Observer on February 2, to Tami Fitzgerald, director of the N.C. Values Coalition who said that the Boy Scout organization has "lost its way."

As the Scout Executive of the Mecklenburg County Council in Charlotte, I want to let you know that your statement is a distraction to all families across our state. But know this, you will not distract me. I assure you that the Boy Scouts of America has not lost its way. We will continue to serve and we will instill character, leadership and citizenship in young people across this great country.
I am tired of hearing from one side how Scouting could change and align itself with their cause, their fight and their social view. At the same time, I also grow tired of hearing from the other side how Scouting has buckled beneath the weight of political correctness and that we have lost our way. It is exhausting to hear from both sides; today you're my friend, tomorrow you're my foe. The Right praising the BSA, the Left attacking. The Left excited today and the Right calling for folks to rally against the Boy Scouts

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article131920399.html#storylink=cpy

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Native Fisher

Very well done response.  I am more concerned about BSA financially surviving if the LDS church does pull all its members out of Scouting.  I was out backpacking with the troop this past weekend enjoying the wilderness.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Native Fisher on May 24, 2017, 08:41:49 AM
Very well done response.  I am more concerned about BSA financially surviving if the LDS church does pull all its members out of Scouting.  I was out backpacking with the troop this past weekend enjoying the wilderness.

They may survive losing the Mormon kids but not the Mormon money.

My brief interaction with the Scouts was ~30 years ago.  We had several LDS grad students come through our shop and at the time, my wife and I were heavily involved in archery.  The LDS had me give several archery talks and exhibitions, and I even went on an overnight camping trip with the local troop.  The entire engagement was rather benign, if I remember correctly.

I would not have survived the Scouts as a youth.  Passing the tests or achieving acceptance of the entry level Webalos or Cubs would have proved too daunting.  When asked to compile a list of rules for the pack, my first and only rule would have been, No Rules!

Plus, my nickname, assigned in first grade and lasting through high school, was 'Girl Scout'.  I was a visionary and did not know it at the time. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutfanatic

I was thrown out of the scouts at the ripe old age of 12, for smoking cigarettes.

I always believed in scouting, whether it was Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts or Ventures. My daughters did the Girl Scout thing, but rapidly lost interest because it wasn't what they anticipated. They didn't want gender norming activities applied to them like cookie sales, arts and crafts. They wanted to hike, camp, fish, catch bugs and reptiles. I offered to take the troop on a camping, canoeing, and fishing trip in the Uwharrie. Some parents were all in, and some volunteered to assist and chaperone. Unfortunately, the military officer, housewife types that wear athletic wear all day and drive cars they can't afford, thought it was too dangerous and that their kids would get dirty.

I shit you not.

At least I help them get fishing merit badges at Pechmann.

Everything is politicized or dumbed down to coincide with a political agenda. I have given up on government and politics, I haven't given up on humans.

that's a good letter Keith.

Native Fisher

TF,

If/when your girls are old enough, check into any Venture crews that may be in your area.  Every crew is different, some into EMT, some High Adventure, etc.
https://beascout.scouting.org/Why_Scouting/Venturing.aspx

Onslow

I would venture to guess the most vocal critics are nothing more than lazy, ignorant incendiaries who've never sacrificed a cell of skin for the cause.

TF, if venturing is done correctly at the unit level, your daughters should be able to find a home in a local crew.  The key to the success in any troop or crew is simply being engaged, and aware as an adult.  I've labored for a couple years to make my troop more.active.

troutfanatic

NF/Onslow,
They used to run one on Bragg. Not sure if they still do. What is the minimum start age?

I've given my girls a lot of skills that are not typically had by girls their age. They are both good with bows, rifles and air rifles. They can properly read a mad and compass and navigate without trails, using terrain association. They can grow their own food. The older one hunts, but has yet to seal the deal on a deer. They know a good bit of basic fieldcraft and know how to use tools and knives. They went on a school trip to a place near Lake Toxaway in 4th grade. They had to gut and help cook a trout. Many of the boys were crying over a dead fish, girls hiding from the instructor, and there's my two demon seeds tearing shit up. They had to eat them too, they went back seconds and thirds.

I just gotta keep my wife in check, because she keeps making them do girl things, like cheerleading.

Native Fisher

13 and completed 8th grade.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Onslow

Brian, I'm no expert on the Venture Crew experience but.....

* Skills are an important part of any scouting experience, but teaching these skills effectively to risers as a youth is more important.

*  If your youth join a Venture Crew, they will probably be involved joint activities with the Boy Scouts, as well as their own.

*  Some think Venturing is a watered down version of the Scouting.  This isn't true.  If a Venturing program is executed correctly, it will be quite rigorous.  Some adults may find the requirements and recommendations daunting.

*  Public service is the most satisfying aspect of Scouting.  Youth working with youth, and adults working with other adult leaders, and parents results in community cohesion, empathy, and strong bonds of brotherhood.

*  We need leaders!  There is a deficit of adulthood, and this deficit is compromising our great country.  I'm of the opinion an active leader in any BSA is on the path for an illustrious career in the military, politics, or education.  And may I repeat, we need more well adjusted people with a fukking clue!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on May 24, 2017, 18:34:25 PM
..........  And may I repeat, we need more well adjusted people with a fukking clue!

I agree, but I'm not sure faith-based youth clubs are the answer.  Perhaps there are other secular avenues that may serve us better.

http://campfire.org/
https://www.bpsa-us.org/
https://navigatorsusa.org/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2015/11/study-finds-that-children-raised-without-religion-show-more-empathy-and-kindness/

troutfanatic

Are scouts and ventures considered faith-based? I didn't know that.

My parents were not religious. We did not go to church unless it was someone's wedding we attended. that was pretty much it. I don't recall anything remotely religious about my time in the scouts. Now in more recent years, I've seen religious-inspired attitudes affect scouting, particularly with homosexuality, but I'd never have known it was a religious organization. The girl scout troop my daughters were in was with a catholic school so, there's that...

troutfanatic

Ken,

I do volunteer at a limited level. I help with the fly fishing merit badge clinics at Pechmann. We put a couple hundred kids through per year.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on May 25, 2017, 08:46:39 AM
Are scouts and ventures considered faith-based? I didn't know that.

You're kidding, right?

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing/About/welcome.aspx   

<The Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.>

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Boy-Scouts-of-America-a-religious-organization

http://scoutingwire.org/marketing-and-membership-hub/new-unit-development/chartered-organizations/religious-chartered-organizations/

And more, if you believe Fox News:

<However, in several legal briefs, including one in a 1992 case in Kansas and another in 1998, lawyers for the Boy Scouts put in writing that the Scouts are a religious organization. Here's the quote in '98:

"Although Boy Scouts of America is not a religious sect, it is religious, and, while the local council is not a house of worship like a church or a synagogue, it is a religious organization.">

Beetle

Scouts are apolitical and welcome any and all.    Faith based worship is not a requirement.   "Duty to God" is subjective- you may worship any God you like.

Most scouting groups are indeed hosted by churches.   They provide access to facilities and resources.   Never once, at least in our troop and pack, has the church interfered or asked us to do anything remotely religious- other than Scout Sunday where Scouts are recognized for their volunteer work in the community.

So give it a rest Hiner.   Stop throwing rocks at good people who just want to do good things.   There's no catch, no hidden agenda.   If you don't understand it- then come on down and spend some time learning and seeing just exactly what the Scouts are about.   

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Beetle on May 25, 2017, 09:42:45 AM
Scouts are apolitical and welcome any and all.    Faith based worship is not a requirement.   "Duty to God" is subjective- you may worship any God you like.

Most scouting groups are indeed hosted by churches.   They provide access to facilities and resources.   Never once, at least in our troop and pack, has the church interfered or asked us to do anything remotely religious- other than Scout Sunday where Scouts are recognized for their volunteer work in the community.

So give it a rest Hiner.   Stop throwing rocks at good people who just want to do good things.   There's no catch, no hidden agenda.   If you don't understand it- then come on down and spend some time learning and seeing just exactly what the Scouts are about.   

Are you sure you want to play hard ball with me? 

I never threw a "rock" at any "good people".  But to say, some of these groups are not faith, religious based is simply not correct.  You're "'Duty to God' is subjective- you may worship any God you like" says it all!!!!

John, if I've offended you or any others, that was not my intent, BUT honestly, I don't give a shit!  I trust we understand each other.