News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I've been going down memory lane by writing a few short stories about my time in Vietnam - written 12-15 so far and pasted them on FB. Thinking about consolidating them and maybe fleshing them out into a book but not sure about that yet.

One of the FB groups where I paste them got me to thinking about June Collins whom I knew from that era. At the time I met her she was a broker of bands and exotic dancers who toured the rear echelon units to entertain the troops. I met her when my immediate supervisor pulled me from command of one SF camp and sent me to another. There was about a week between assignments and I bunked with him at his hooch in Moc Hoa. Low and behold I wasn't the only one bunking with him - June was there sharing the same accommodations however the sleeping arrangements were a little different :P . Turns out she was there hiding from the Kakia Mafia as detailed in a book of the same title written by Robin Moore with June Collins as co-author. Some of you old fellows may remember the big military club scandal where lots of folks from that era went to jail or retired early - big conggresional investigation. I have the original hard copy of The Kakia Mafia - it's listed as costing over $1000 if you can find a copy. I recently re-read it and looked up June Collins on the internet. She is still alive and has written several more books about that era on her own. I downloaded the Kindle version of Goodbye Junie Moon and am reading it now. Brings back lots of memories. You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.

Dougfish

Do it, Al !

I read a 2010 interview with Ray Bradbury. What a great storyteller. In the inerview, his last answer was remarkable. You could build a great novel off of that answer.
Now I want to go back and read everything he wrote.

https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/6012/the-art-of-fiction-no-203-ray-bradbury
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

"Three geese in a flock. One flew east, one flew west, and .............."
You cannot view this attachment.

Al

Quote from: Dougfish on April 16, 2020, 13:37:24 PMDo it, Al !

I read a 2010 interview with Ray Bradbury. What a great storyteller. In the inerview, his last answer was remarkable. You could build a great novel off of that answer.

https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/6012/the-art-of-fiction-no-203-ray-bradbury

Doing it now - looks like it will be 200 pages plus in soft cover paperback format. Still editing, adding a few photos, table of contents, preface, etc. We will see ....................

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

What a story! Enjoyed this one. 🏕 🚎

#intothewild #alaska #alexandersupertramp #christophermccandless #

https://amzn.to/2Y1odf3

Woolly Bugger

I read that after reading Into Thin Air!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

Quote from: Al on April 23, 2020, 19:10:52 PM
Quote from: Dougfish on April 16, 2020, 13:37:24 PMDo it, Al !

Doing it now - looks like it will be 200 pages plus in soft cover paperback format. Still editing, adding a few photos, table of contents, preface, etc. We will see ....................

Looking forward to it Al. Good luck with it.

troutrus

900+ pages of rambling nonsense. Not quite sure why I didn't throw it in the recycle bin weeks ago.
One good paragraph about bugs having sex.

Onslow

Quote from: troutrus on June 09, 2020, 19:31:20 PM900+ pages of rambling nonsense. Not quite sure why I didn't throw it in the recycle bin weeks ago.

Worse than Moby Dick?

troutrus

Quote from: Onslow on June 09, 2020, 19:47:01 PM
Quote from: troutrus on June 09, 2020, 19:31:20 PM900+ pages of rambling nonsense. Not quite sure why I didn't throw it in the recycle bin weeks ago.

Worse than Moby Dick?

Not sure. Read Moby back when I was young, and I don't recall some things from that time period. 😳

Dee-Vo

troutrus

If ya liked old Moby, and ya hadn't tried this, you might like it. A much more relaxing read.

troutrus

This was possibly the most thought provoking book I've ever read.

"After awhile you could get used to anything."
― Albert Camus, The Stranger

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutrus on June 11, 2020, 12:22:51 PMIf ya liked old Moby, and ya hadn't tried this, you might like it. A much more relaxing read.

Quote from: troutrus on June 11, 2020, 15:45:13 PMThis was possibly the most thought provoking book I've ever read.

"After awhile you could get used to anything."
― Albert Camus, The Stranger

Will look into these. Suggestions are always appreciated.  :cheers