in case you haven't been following Fukushima news....

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 03, 2019, 12:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/02/japanese-utility-makes-first-contact-with-melted-fukushima-fuel/

Late last week, the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) sent a probe into the damaged second reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant. The probe's mission was to explore the solidity of the nuclear fuel that melted back in 2011, when a tsunami hit the nuclear plant following an earthquake, causing a meltdown of the plant's three reactors.

Eight years later, TEPCO is making slow but steady progress toward decommissioning the three damaged reactors. The mission to touch the melted nuclear fuel with a remote-controlled probe aimed to find out how solid the melted fuel is and whether it could be transported away from the site. This was the first time that field crews had been able to use any device to physically interact with the fuel since the reactor meltdown.

The melted fuel in reactors 1 and 3 has not been touched yet, but information gathered from this probe will help TEPCO form a plan to move forward in the decommissioning process. Full decommissioning is expected to take 30 or 40 years

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on March 03, 2019, 21:12:46 PMWe're so fucked.  <-;:

That bitch is still pissing millions of gallons of radioactive water into the pacific with no way to stop it anytime soon. Isn’t that how Godzilla an Rodan got their start?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!