News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

ANother new guy- 1st post

Started by troutfanatic, November 07, 2010, 20:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

Greetings to all.

I just joined the forum tonight. I stumbled across it by searching google. I had joined Southeast Fly Fishing Forum a month ago but never received posting privileges so I was searching for an alternative. Anyways, when I join these things I like to do an introduction for a first post.

My name is Brian; I am a native Pennsylvanian who lives in Raeford NC by obligation of military service. I am stationed at Fort Bragg and have spent most of my 23 years in the Army there.

With regards to fly fishing, I am a novice at best. I have been fishing for 36 years and trout has been my main quarry. I grew up fishing small streams in western Pennsylvania but mostly using spinning equipment. at age 12 my stepfather taught me how to use a flyrod but using it to drift fish live bait for smallies. 10 years later I rediscovered the flyrod as a college student and dabbled in true fly fishing. Coming back in the army and being stationed in parts of MO, NC, and KS that had no close trout fishing made me lapse for many years. in 2007 I returned to the flyrod and have become passionate about it. I can't get out enough. My wife and 2 daughters love to camp so I find the opportunity to fish through taking them camping. The closest trips are Stone Mountain SP and other areas in Wilkes, Surry and Allegheny counties. Once in awhile I do a solo trip to Bryson City and fish a plethora of rivers and streams and rivers around the GSMNP. I am always looking for new places to go and don't mind hiking to find the less-touched wild water.

Besides fishing, I am a home brewer and beer aficianado, I like to grow a vegetable garden and I enjoy most all outdoor sports. I collect guns and used to hunt but the war and fatherhood has taken alot of my hobby time from me. I also collect vintage lionel trains.

I guess that's about it for now. I look forward to chatting back and forth.

cheers,
Brian

jwgnc

Search this board for "Pechmann".  It's the NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education Center - very close to your home base.  You'll meet a lot of fly fishers at the events staged there.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

5xTippett

Welcome!  There are a couple of people on here from your neck of the woods.

cmiller51h

Hey, welcome! It's good to see another army guy on here. I just got back from Afghanistan 2 weeks ago and am going back in October as a 1SG in a Route Clearence Company. I've got a collection of American Flyer trains that my Grandad left me. Hollar at me if you want to go fishin. I'm on leave thru the end of December! 125 days built up!
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

kylemc

I have some old trains my grandfather left me that I don't have a clue about. Well, I really don't have a clue about anything.

Kyle

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Welcome, and thanks for your services. I just got back from a trip in a part of the US that a train enthusiast would pee themself. Every 10-15 minutes, you would hear the bellowing of several SD40's hauling hundreds of coal cars/cargo boxes thru the valley. Other than liking trains myself, I too am also huge into fly fishing. Im in Raleigh, so I feel you on the drive. Kinda sucks but work is based here but I still do about 30 trips a year. Let me know when you want to give the trouts a visit... ;)

kylemc