News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCB3, mobcrack, creakycane and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

troutrus

Couple questions:
-What is the situation with walking along the railroad right of way to access fishing areas? Back when I was fishing the area on a regular basis there was talk of prosecution for trespassing.  :o
-Are felt-soled boots permissible in the Smith and other Virginia trout water?

Dougfish

Still "technically" trespassing. Walking on any tracks is. You have to get caught, though.  V:;

Felt is legal in VA. Doug would die without felt.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Boo, browns, and beer!

got a wild hair and spooled up a CFO III with a DT3F and decided to take the 1971 Orvis Flea out and catch some Smith River Punes on a dryfly.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The rod calls for a HFG line which is akin to a 4wt, I cast in the back yard and the 3 weight line cast well enough.

I didn't get off as early as I wanted and when I arrived at the Mirror Plant at nine there were three cars there already. I had no ideas where there would be on the river. Two cars were from Virginia and the other was from NC with a competition nymping decal on the back window. What the heck, I'll walk down the field and see if I can find some open water as I would have hated to have walked the track only to find a crowd down at the trestle pool.

I lucked out, not another angler in sight!

Clipped the old nail knotted leader off about a foot from the fly line, tied a perfection loop and added a new 9' 6x leader with two feet of 6.5 Trout Hunter tippet and tied on my best Puff Daddy!

I quickly realized that I was having a lot of difficulty turning over the fly. I wasn't casting the  wiggly 6'6" bamboo rod very well. It took a concerted effort to slow down and get that rod to load. I got a few good casts and got a trout to rise, but the hook didn't stick. Finally, I coaxed a few of the diminutive browns to take the fly.

free CDC

I think Dougfish was here and left the 76ers and a belgian behind.

DT4F ordered
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Nice, boss. Nice.
And you know I pick up other's litter. And I hate SA beer.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

ryguy

Nice!  The Flea looks to be in great shape, that's on my list of rods to own one day...  That and a 1 piece bamboo rod.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: ryguy on August 06, 2019, 17:21:26 PMNice!  The Flea looks to be in great shape, that's on my list of rods to own one day...  That and a 1 piece bamboo rod.

rod and reel are minty... circa 1971
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Big J

Perfect Pretentious TR Bossman. 

Woolly Bugger

I was going to go over the hump to the SoHo / Watauga but when I came home the Rube Goldberg plumbing under the sink had given way and I had said the next time it came apart I would fix it properly. So my early morning hours were spent plumbing. Then I decided to hit the carp pond but forgot that the art museum was having a car show and there was such a crowd that there was no parking available. At that point I should have started tying flies but found another diversion and took care of some chores. I went back to the pond after lunch when the crowd had dissipated. The cloudy skies made visibility impossible and there were no carp to be found. I packed it in and headed up to the smith with the bamboo and a new DF4F line spooled on the CFOIII, damn that reel is tiny. Zero backing and the line just fit, I will be switching over to the CFO123 in the future and maybe try to spool a WF4F on the III.

There were two cars in the lot when I arrived a little after four. Both were from NC and I stickered them.

Thunder boomed over the ridge and I checked the radar, there was a small storm, but it looked like it was going to pass to the south. Ian and his partner pulled in, they had been floating in the Hooligan again. I headed on down to the bend in the river and jumped in right below another angler who was working his way upstream. Then the thunder got louder and it started to rain. The angler reeled in and came over to stand under the sheltered bank. We talked while the rain drenched us but the skies promised that it would end soon. Turns out the other angler is also from Winston Salem and his name is Bill and has been fishing the Smith for many decades. I spied a couple of risers in the rain, and when it stopped I was planning on targeting them, but the fog became a problem and I was still having issues casting the boo. Tailing loop after tailing loop made long for my graphite and I almost quit in frustration.

Bill in the fog.

Rays of hope

Success in twitching up a few punes on the puff daddy, I was at the dregs of my fly box and only had a few ratting and abused Puffs and even fewer comparaduns.

The day was getting long and only a few more fish came to hand,

Trout chow.

I hiked out with the last of the daylight, all the cars were gone with the exception of Ian and his friend's.
I popped a barley pop and had some cheese and chorizo while packing up. Ian show up well after nine, they must have worked their way quite far down the river.

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

Woolly Bugger

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back for more abuse from those picky trouts. But I made the drive up and got to the lot at 4. One truck in the lot got stickered and I hiked it to the usual spot. When I ducked into the river I ran into Alex, the guy who managed to dump the Sam Adams beer cans from his pack as he exited the river at o'dark thirty.  We talked for a bit and he complained about how picky the little bastard trouts were before he moved on upstream. I was armed with the Sage SP 9' 5 wt and tied on a comparadun and cast out into the run. Second cast and a trout rose and took the fly. Damn, I thought this would be a good evening.

The waxwings were staging in the trees and tracked down any flying insect with unmatched precision. There were quite a few birds working the "evening hatch" although I didn't see that many bugs and there were even fewer fish rising. But the graphite rod enabled me to place the fly where I wanted it to go and I managed to coax a few punes to the surface and even brought a few to hand. I whipped the TG out of my vest pocket and in a habitual movement, turned it on and pressed the shutter button. The low angel that I take the photos from doesn't allow me to actually view the screen, so I failed to notice the "NO MEMORY CARD" warning and I thought
I had successfully captured images of the fish I had caught. I only realized my error when I went to write up this report!

I fished towards dark and was back at the car by 8, Alex was gone by then.

You cannot view this attachment.

me -There's a season?

Al

Glad to see that I am not the only one who messes up my camera from time to time. :P

driver

I would have though with that new camera you wouldn't even have to take the card out. It does't connect to your Wifi?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on August 12, 2019, 19:43:10 PMI would have though with that new camera you wouldn't even have to take the card out. It does't connect to your Wifi?

I still download to the computer and post process in Lightroom  d:b
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I made a bit of a last minute decision to Smith it Friday morning before the generation. Just a quick attitude adjustment. Kitted up and walked back through the hay (sic) field.

Now, my normal route to the mirror plant does not go over/by the river.
And I did not have a storm at my house on Thursday night.
So imagine my surprise at eyeballing the muddy river.  n!n
I waded in otherwise, changed my planned presentation to a hopper with a flashy dropper. Fished a notoriously good run and .....nuttin.
Walked back down, climbed out and back to the car. Went up towards the dam to get around the main source of the mud.
Still wasn't great, but better. Clipped off the hopper and tied on a largish klinkhammer sulfur and proceeded to whack 6 average browns. No bows for the first trip in a while.
And lost the only husky fish of the hour.  b';

Climbed out at a little after 11 and watched the water come up before boogieing home.  -0-
But I know I wasn't the only one not paying attention. :laugh:

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,