Gps questions?

Started by robs_seven, March 26, 2012, 22:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs_seven

Looking at getting a gps. Right now I'm hungup between the oregon 450t and the delrome pn60w with inreach. Anyone use the delrome on here and can give a review on its mapping and usage??  I know a lot swear by the Oregon but my wifey wants me to get the delrome because it has the communication device with it

Thanks
!!!Tying, building, fishing!!!

Quote from: Transylwader on June 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
This creek was so big that a high hole was virtually impossible.

Transylwader

I reckon that Delhorme is a good deal for $250.
The Oregon 450T will set you back at least $300 and it does not have the two way SOS communication module. Since the bulk of my fishing is done here in the SE, we don't have seriously remote places like they got out west. When I head into the Sierras in July to go after Goldens, you gotto know I will take no risks out there. My buddy has a GPS with that protocol. My Garmin Oregon does the job for me just fine locally.

Like I mentioned to you last night, write down the places you will be (coords or the name of the road)x2 one copy goes to your wife, one copy goes on the dashboard of your car and if the S hits the F, NPS will be able to come find you with just that info. I like the idea of 2 way SOS. I am surprised Garmin doesn't have that module available in their units.

robs_seven

I know Mike, but if thats what makes the wifey happy then I might have to go that route.  Its $250 for just the inreach module and $600 for the module plus topo gps handheld.  Its $10-$40 a month on the inreach plan for the auto tracking way points, SOS, and text messages. 

If the gps would work nice I would use it just up in ashe to get some one to pick me up when Im done.  Last time I got dropped off to fish I had to hike half way back to get cell service to get picked up. 

If I go this route Mike you are more then welcome to borrow it in July bro

Robby

Transylwader

Quote from: robs_seven on March 27, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
Its $250 for just the inreach module and $600 for the module plus topo gps handheld.  Its $10-$40 a month on the inreach plan for the auto tracking way points, SOS, and text messages. 
Holy crap! Thats long dollar. Is your wife paying? My wife paid for my Garmin coz she was worried about me doing solo missions. Now she wishes she never bought the damn thing, since she took out a life insurance policy on my ass 3 years ago... ^-^

WRector

I just recently bought the Garmin 62s.  I know it not the Delarma, but does just about everything I need it to.  Thought I would give you a heads up on the base mapping though.  Not sure if the Delarma is compatable, but you can save yourself some serious coin by using free maps and uploading them to your GPS.

You can find the free maps @

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

With the Garmin, you have to use the Base Camp software, free download from Garmin.  Upload the downloaded maps to the Base Camp software and then upload them up into your GPS.

Mike, not sure if you have used this yet, but they have plenty of stuff for out West.

Good luck with your decision...
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

WRector

Just thought of something else,

Keith's (WB) son bought one of those communication devises and used it on the AT to track there location.  I think it had text message capability, but I'm not sure.  Maybe he will chime in with some more information, or you could use the search function and see if you can find his post about it.

May be a less expensive option.

robs_seven

Is she going to buy it? Unless there is an extra direct deposit every 2 weeks I don't know about then the answer is no. She said $400 for the garmin vs $600 for the delrome, she voted delrome.  My only leg to stand on is if the mapping blows on the delrome

Transylwader

Quote from: robs_seven on March 27, 2012, 12:16:46 PM
if the mapping blows on the delrome
Well, keep this in mind, Garmin screens are 2"x4" I doubt youre gonna find a device thats waterproof/shockproof etc with a screen that size with that kind of detail. The mapping is awesome. Its US Topo 100K maps that comes preloaded. It has 3D view, I can save my tracks and use these as short cuts to and fro dodgy creeks the next time I hit them and it also allows you to find your way back with the "man overboard" feature if you remember to save your begin point. I am on ARCGIS at least 6 hours everyday, (mostly for personal use) but it's on my desktop in my office. If I am headed to a dodgy canyon, I print the map in color, laminate it and take it along. I use my GPS alot, mostly at home, plugging in coords etc, once Im in the field? I usually save a way point here and there, marking specific pools where I lost a biggun so I can go back and layeth the smack down. The great thing about the 400T is that it's within 5ft of accuracy of actual location. Some GPS units are only good at 200ft or so. That 200ft makes the diff between making it out of a rhodo thicket ending up in the back of the Coroners vehicle.

robs_seven

Mike you know anybody and everybody. Call garmin and tell them to add that feature so there are no questions and they take over the top spot

WRector

robs_seven

Wrector that might be a great option that teamed with the Oregon

FoulHook

I got a Garmin eTrex 20 at Christmas and love it so far. It tracks great, is waterproof, have dropped it a few times already and leave it hanging off the front of the pack and it takes the beating of climbing and jumping (which is one of the best parts of bluelining). I didn't feel like paying for maps after shelling out for a GPS. Ended up finding this site: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php and downloaded a few of the NC maps and they work perfect and are free. You can add multiple maps to layer the view. I use a standard topo with a trail map layered on top of that. Works perfect.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

robs_seven

So this morning I drop a few bills and got a Garmin 450 T and a spot connect unit.  Had a fun afternoon with the garmin, joined in on the geocaching thing.  The wife says its dumb but kinda neat I think plus it put the gps to the test.  It got me within 5-10 on a few finds this afternoon.  Going to wait till next payday or till I sell another rod to activate the spot, its $99 a year.  Well heading to higher ground tomorrow in Ashe, gotta check out the cabin for the 1st time this year and push mow.  Then hoping to hit the water right behind the house to test out my new 6'6" 2wt with a cortland retro. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: WRector on March 27, 2012, 11:02:05 AM
Just thought of something else,

Keith's (WB) son bought one of those communication devises and used it on the AT to track there location.  I think it had text message capability, but I'm not sure.  Maybe he will chime in with some more information, or you could use the search function and see if you can find his post about it.

May be a less expensive option.

You can "pre program" two text messages on the SPOT. It has three buttons: OK, HELP, and SOS. OK sends a text message to the numbers that you have programmed, HELP send a different message to the numbers that you have programed, they can be the same or different. The SOS sends a message and GPS DATA to the SPOT RESCUE CENTER, they then contact the local authorities.

There is also a tracking option that allows tracking via the web, this can be password restricted.

I made the boys carry it and check in by sending OK messages, and Help if they needed to be picked up in a non-emergency situation.

They carried it when they were 15, 16, & 17 years old, but feel like it is no longer necessary.....

So it can be purchased from me for $50.... you'll have to activate the service...   
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!