News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Sunday Hunting?

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 15, 2020, 20:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Ok, new Sunday rules for hunting apply to mostly private lands? Am I correct on this?

What about deer season in the  Pisgah. Is Sunday hunting allowed in the Pisgah National Forest?

Thanks...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

streamereater_101691

It's unlawful to hunt on Sundays on public lands, except that military installations under the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal government may allow hunting on Sundays.On Sundays, on private lands, the following apply:
Hunting with firearms between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. is prohibited except on controlled hunting preserves;
Hunting migratory birds is prohibited;
The use of firearms to take deer that are run or chased by dogs is prohibited;
Hunting with a firearm within 500 yards of a place of worship or any accessory structure thereof is prohibited.
Archery equipment may be used to hunt on private lands on Sunday without the restrictions applied to hunting with firearms.

Yallerhammer

Nope, only on private land.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I do not understand the ban on Sunday hunting on many public lands.  I can see no reason to continue with this antiquated puritanical blue law.  I've heard support for preserving the outdated rule from hikers, campers, horse trail riders, churchgoers, and even some anglers, but damned if I can comprehend the opposition to allow Sunday hunting on all fed and state lands.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 17, 2020, 08:48:01 AMI do not understand the ban on Sunday hunting on many public lands.  I can see no reason to continue with this antiquated puritanical blue law.  I've heard support for preserving the outdated rule from hikers, campers, horse trail riders, churchgoers, and even some anglers, but damned if I can comprehend the opposition to allow Sunday hunting on all fed and state lands.

I fully support it! It's a relief to know I can fish in the middle of the woods on a Sunday without getting shot!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 17, 2020, 15:08:09 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 17, 2020, 08:48:01 AMI do not understand the ban on Sunday hunting on many public lands.  I can see no reason to continue with this antiquated puritanical blue law.  I've heard support for preserving the outdated rule from hikers, campers, horse trail riders, churchgoers, and even some anglers, but damned if I can comprehend the opposition to allow Sunday hunting on all fed and state lands.

I fully support it! It's a relief to know I can fish in the middle of the woods on a Sunday without getting shot!

I think there are only a handful of states that do not allow Sunday hunting.

You do not fish "in the middle of the woods".  You may travel through hunting woods to get to stream X, but you fish the water passages, which are not hot spots for hunters, at least I don't think.  Most hunters likely avoid brookie stream corridors – can't hear shit when you are close to them.

A blaze orange lid will only cost you a few bucks.

Moreover, ain't you supposed to be resting on the Christian sabbath?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 17, 2020, 16:40:09 PM@Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 a cap might not be enough

Spoken like a true nonhunter.  You can wear blaze pink, if orange fails to flip your cookie, and all you need is 100 square inches.

Busting Big J – packs heat for the danger presented by others that should not be carrying a weapon (most likely illegally) and is paranoid by those that are legally and safely sporting a gun (hunters).  I don't get it!

"§ 29.1-530.1. Solid blaze orange or solid blaze pink clothing required at certain times.
A. For the purposes of this section, "solid blaze orange" means a safety orange or fluorescent orange hue and "solid blaze pink" means a safety pink or fluorescent pink hue.

B. During any firearms deer season, except during the special season for hunting deer with a muzzle-loading rifle only, in counties and cities designated by the Board, every hunter and every person accompanying a hunter shall (i) wear a solid blaze orange or solid blaze pink hat, except that the bill or brim of the hat may be a color or design other than solid blaze orange or solid blaze pink, or solid blaze orange or solid blaze pink upper body clothing that is visible from 360 degrees, (ii) display at least 100 square inches of solid blaze orange or solid blaze pink material at shoulder level within body reach visible from 360 degrees,.................."

Yallerhammer

I don't understand this mentality. Do you actually think that people who hunt just shoot randomly at people fishing? Really?

Yallerhammer

Yeah, and the hunters are actually paying money to keep those lands and their wildlife going, unlike the hikers and riders.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Yallerhammer on October 18, 2020, 09:11:05 AM

I don't understand this mentality. Do you actually think that people who hunt just shoot randomly at people fishing? Really?

It's rare but it does happen and dead is dead...

>>>Hunter Fatally Shoots Hiker
A hunter mistook a Virgina college student for a deer and fired, killing her and injuring a companion
Katie HerrelUpdated:Feb 8, 2017O riginal:Nov 19, 2009

Hunting season and fall hiking season overlap, and unfortunately that can lead to deadly accidents: A hunter in Virginia shot and killed a college student trekking through the woods after mistaking her for a deer. Senior Jessica Goode was collecting frogs for a biology class on county-owned wilderness property near Ferrum College when she was shot through the chest. The bullet ricocheted and struck her classmate in the hand; he's currently recuperating in the hospital.

Police charged a 31-year-old man with with manslaughter, reckless handling of a firearm, and trespassing. The land where he allegedly shot the students does not permit hunting, and is located only 75 yards from a paved cul-de-sac.
https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/hunter-fatally-shoots-hiker

>>>Mountain Biker Accidentally Shot by Deer Hunter

A scary accident unfolded near Hopkinton, N.H., last week when a hunter fired a shot shortly before dark. Around 4:20 p.m., a 27-year-old woman heard a gunshot then realized she'd been hit by a bullet.
https://gearjunkie.com/mountain-biker-shot-deer-hunter-new-hampshire
me -There's a season?

Big J

There are a lot of dumb people out there. If you are voting for Biden, just think, there are people out there voting for Trump. If you voting for Trump, there are people out there voting for Biden. If you are not voting, there are people out there voting for one of these two. If you live in Bath county, go to an NRA meeting. If you don't golf, go to a golf club, some of those people who enjoy chasing around a little white ball enjoy hunting I'm sure.

I had a moron friend who went on a hunt on a family friends land they were managing. It wasn't a doe day and the family told him not to take any does or bucks under 6 pts. They emphasized not taking any spikes. He came back with 2 does and a spike. There are people out there that shoot the first thing they see move during rifle season. Bow season and muzzleloader season I'm less hesitant. Rifle season makes me nervous walking thru the woods.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 19, 2020, 07:08:41 AMThere are a lot of dumb people out there. If you are voting for Biden, just think, there are people out there voting for Trump. If you voting for Trump, there are people out there voting for Biden. If you are not voting, there are people out there voting for one of these two. If you live in Bath county, go to an NRA meeting. If you don't golf, go to a golf club, some of those people who enjoy chasing around a little white ball enjoy hunting I'm sure.

I had a moron friend who went on a hunt on a family friends land they were managing. It wasn't a doe day and the family told him not to take any does or bucks under 6 pts. They emphasized not taking any spikes. He came back with 2 does and a spike. There are people out there that shoot the first thing they see move during rifle season. Bow season and muzzleloader season I'm less hesitant. Rifle season makes me nervous walking thru the woods.

Yes, I went to an NRA banquet recently.  Went with my son in hopes of bidding on or winning a new hunting firearm, and also to support our local law enforcement who was organizing the event, and to take the pulse of the passionate (Am I misinterpreting?  Could I be mistaken?).  I respect the rank-and-file, but I still will not join.

And I now play golf.

And I still hunt.

But I am not a member of The Murmuration of the Ignorant.  I am that bird that is far removed from that synchronized flight, and I still feel Sunday outdoor activities are safe if hunters are about.

troutrus

We must accept some risk in life and unfortunately accidents do occur. But the ones that involve mis-identification are particularly difficult to comprehend.
Perhaps an ID exam should be a part of hunting license application.
e.g. pick out the picture that includes deer.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Sad story
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/father-9-year-old-daughter-are-mistaken-deer-shot-death-n1110071

Phil

I was fishing in the Steele's Creek Gorge years ago and almost got shot by a hunter. I've been in combat before, so know the sound that a rifle makes when the barrel is pointed at ME, and the one on Steele's was pointed at me. It was close and the bullet hit very near me. A hunter was shooting at my sound and movement rustling in the river even though he couldn't see clearly what he was shooting at.  b';