Unlimited Everything Everglades....

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 18, 2020, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

>>Less than a year after two state agencies decided to combine forces and remove invasive snakes from the Everglades, contractors caught a record number of Burmese pythons.

The News-Press reported that the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the Southwest Florida Water Management District removed nearly 2,000 invasive pythons in the first eight months of 2020, surpassing 2019 totals. As of mid-October, the teams removed nearly 4,000 snakes bringing the total snakes removed since the program's inception in 2017 to 6,278.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/florida/2020/11/14/thousands-of-invasive-pythons-removed-from-everglades/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

I have always wondered if those snakes are good to eat  Hell ,if they have killed almost 7,000 of them ,the glades must be eaten up with them

JT

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Stone-Man on November 18, 2020, 12:15:25 PMI have always wondered if those snakes are good to eat  Hell ,if they have killed almost 7,000 of them ,the glades must be eaten up with them

JT

>>>Burmese pythons in the Everglades contain some of the highest levels of mercury found in a living creature.

"For some reason, the pythons that are coming out of here, they have mercury concentrations higher than mine waste, a mercury mine," said Everglades superintendent Dan Kimball. "According to (USGS scientist Dave Krabbenhoft), they've never found anything that has this high of mercury levels that's still alive. It is amazing."

https://www.outsideonline.com/1794941/florida-officals-dont-eat-python-meat
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Marjory Stoneman Douglas spent life defending Everglades
Marjory Stoneman Douglas is a name known nationally because of the school shooting, but she spent her life fighting to save the Everglades.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

COMING IN DECEMBER: DRAINED, A PODCAST ABOUT THE MASSIVE PLAN TO SAVE THE EVERGLADES

>>>In the final days of his administration, with the eyes of the world on Florida where the epic 2000 election recount was underway, President Bill Clinton quietly signed into law a plan to restore the Everglades. Twenty years and $17 billion later, the grandiose vision of reversing decades of environmental damage remains stuck in the swamp.

In "Drained," a podcast from WMFE and the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting, Amy Green wades into the controversy around one of the most ambitious environmental restoration efforts ever undertaken. From rivers of toxic slime to a mind-boggling plan to inject a giant bubble of freshwater 1,000 feet underground, "Drained" examines the massive plan to restore the river of grass and poses the big question about the future of this natural wonder: Can it be saved?

https://fcir.org/2020/12/01/coming-in-december-drained-a-podcast-about-the-massive-plan-to-save-the-everglades/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

DRAINED, A PODCAST ABOUT THE MASSIVE PLAN TO SAVE THE EVERGLADES

is live now....

https://www.wmfe.org/drained-episode-1-a-river-runs-dry/169840
me -There's a season?

troutrus

Too little too late?

"Race against the rise
What should planners do if, as some simulations suggest, sea level rise is already outpacing the efforts by state and federal authorities to restore freshwater flow through the Everglades?"

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/florida-everglades-freshwater-saltwater-sea-level-rise

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Florida Everglades: Appreciating the charms of the River of Grass

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>In summer 2007, the South Florida Sun Sentinel Travel section — of which I was the editor — asked readers to name "The Seven Wonders of Florida." In the state with the world's most famous theme park, an undramatic national park took top honors.

This was admirable, though it meant that I would have to visit the Everglades, in July, and write a story about it. In 18 years in South Florida — in 18 years as a travel editor in South Florida — I had never been to the park. When I told friends and neighbors of my next assignment, I discovered I was not alone. I wondered if all the readers who had voted for the park had visited it. It never lands on the list of the 10 most visited national parks, even though it's the only one that abuts an urban sprawl of 6million people. Even Marjory Stoneman Douglas, whose book "The Everglades: River of Grass" is credited with bringing the subtle beauty of the place to the nation's attention, rarely ventured past Homestead and never spent the night. "It's enough," she reportedly said, "for me to know it's there."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/explore-florida/os-exfl-tr-florida-everglades-river-of-grass-20210110-kvsnfnczqvfdfozxrfut34guzy-story.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

'It's A Little Thumb Sticking Out In The Everglades'
And It's Cost Taxpayers Millions in Flood Control

>>>On the edge of the Everglades, less than a couple thousand feet from a backdoor entrance to the national park, the Las Palmas neighborhood teeters like a forlorn scheme to conquer the marshes.

Perfectly gridded lots are filled with heavy equipment, plant nurseries and a handful of houses. Goats and dogs wander fenced yards. And after a good rain, there's water everywhere.

"I left for work in the morning before 8 a.m. and we had puddles. No big deal," resident Raul Arrazcaeta said in November after a downpour the night before. "When I got home at 5:30, I had five inches of water on my driveway. Right now, I'm sitting on my porch and the only thing that doesn't have any water is my porch."

Give the story a listen at:
https://www.wlrn.org/news/2021-01-14/its-a-little-thumb-sticking-out-in-the-everglades-and-its-cost-taxpayers-millions-in-flood-control

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Defending the sacred: Indigenous nations and Everglades advocates join in prayer walk

>>>They came from cities, reservations and everywhere in between. Toddlers and grandparents, students and professionals, united to defend the sacred: Florida's Everglades.

Those who turned out for the two-day, 38-mile roadside march hoped to bring attention to this critically important wet wilderness and the controversial handover of permitting control from the federal entities who have long held it to chronically understaffed Florida agencies

Miccosukee advocate Betty Osceola has organized prayer walks before, but this one had particular urgency for her.

Last month, the U.S. government turned over wetland permitting authority to the state of Florida, giving it control of Section 404 of the federal Clean Water Act, despite outraged reaction from Florida's native people and many who support the environment.

https://www.news-press.com/story/tech/science/environment/2021/01/15/defending-sacred-indigenous-nations-and-everglades-advocates-join-prayer-walk/6608360002/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Progress at the EAA Reservoir—moving earth to move more water south

>>>Had it not been for a unified community a couple of years ago, the landscape at the Everglades Agricultural Area (EAA) Reservoir site would look a lot different than it does now. It would still be stuck in the stranglehold of special interests who were quite satisfied with the status quo—much to the detriment of Everglades restoration progress.

Instead, the project's moving along now—one blast at a time.

What could've been.
A shady deal in 2018 would've delayed this progress, possibly by years. During a public meeting on November 7, the former South Florida Water Management District governing board granted an eight-year lease extension for sugarcane operations on 15,440 acres of state-owned land—the same land slated for this EAA Reservoir site.

For months, the lease had been negotiated in secret and was added to the agenda at 9pm the night before the meeting. Together with other shocked stakeholders, including Congressman Brian Mast on behalf of Governor-elect Ron DeSantis, we stood before the board and urged them to delay the vote until the public had the opportunity to review the lease.

They ignored the pleas and unanimously voted to approve it.

We quickly launched an awareness campaign, "Drain the District, Save the Swamp," to expose their scheme to the public and demand the resignations of the corrupt board. The unified voices of our supporters and partner conservation groups were heard loud and clear by the incoming administration.

A turning point in restoration.
Two days after Governor Ron DeSantis took office in January 2019, he signed Executive Order 19-12 Achieving More Now For Florida's Environment, implementing major reforms to ensure the protection of Florida's environment and water quality.

His first order of business? Cleaning house at the District. DeSantis immediately called for resignations from the entire SFWMD board and appointed a new governing board that fights on behalf of the public.

The lease was eventually terminated, clearing the way for construction to begin, but it serves as a reminder of the type of schemes that have delayed progress for decades—when the public is aware and gets involved, we have the power to defeat these attempts.

Now, thanks to those united efforts, the land from that lease is bustling with progress—heavy equipment, explosions, and boots on the ground are working to expedite the critical restoration project.

What is the EAA Reservoir?

Overall, it's a massive project in design and build—one that will eventually occupy a footprint the size of Manhattan—but its benefit to the overall system will be equally immense. It's a key component of the overall restoration plan and provides the greatest relief to the most affected areas, so seeing progress on its construction is exciting.

Construction of the project's two main components has been divvied up between the Army Corps of Engineers and the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD), with the Corps tackling the reservoir and the District spearheading the STA. Due to the enormity of the reservoir—it will hold water up to a depth of 20 feet for a total capacity of 240,000 acre-feet—it's currently still in the design phase, but construction on the STA is well underway.

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/eaa-reservoir-progress/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Former President Donald Trump wasn't exactly a friend to environmentalists. He weakened regulations that protected habitat and wildlife, expanded drilling and called climate change a hoax.

Yet he increased spending on Everglades restoration to over $200 million a year, pushed by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Now the Everglades Coalition wants President Biden to nearly quadruple federal spending to $2.9 billion dollars over the next four years. The coalition represents 61 environmental groups.

"When I was up in Washington and I did get a vote as to what was in the Everglades budget back then, we fully funded everything that the Corps and the water management district said they could handle. What's different now is Governor DeSantis has given the biggest boost to Everglades restoration funding in the history of the program."

https://www.wmfe.org/advocates-want-biden-to-quadruple-spending-on-fixing-the-everglades/173310
me -There's a season?