News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto, Woolly Bugger, creakycane and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

driver

I agree with Muddy on this one. I got to the river to get away from the noise.

Woolly Bugger

In his current Instagram story you can hear some CCT playing
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

With 4.5 inches of rain so far philpott lake is on the rise, up 5 feet already — ain't gonna wade that River no more, no more. No we ain't gonna wade the river no more!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

This just in from COE @ Philpott...................

"There is work needs to be done in the tailrace area Thursday requiring low flows for the majority of the day. This could be a great time for some wade fishing. The current thought is to have one low flow valve open from 0800-1600. As we get closer to that time if anything changes from that plan I will let you all know. If you will, please help spread this information to your interest groups."

troutrus

Thanks for the info Al.
Wish I had a pair of waders that don't leak. Ordered a pair online that didn't fit right and had to return. Tough shopping waders online. 🙁
Went to Sportman's Whse in GSO yesterday and found none that I liked that were in my size. Was looking for waist high type and they had none.
Anybody know of a good place to shop within 50 miles of Eden?

Maybe I'll go up and fish from the bank with minners on a noodle rod.  V:;

Dougfish

Pushing your mileage, but.... Whoris in downtown Roanoke. They have an outlet store attached to their warehouse, too. And we have a Sportsman's Warehouse, too.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

Quote from: Dougfish on December 09, 2020, 17:04:11 PMPushing your mileage, but.... Whoris in downtown Roanoke. They have an outlet store attached to their warehouse, too. And we have a Sportsman's Warehouse, too.

Thanks Doug.
Do they normally carry much inventory? I've tried the Orvis shop in GSO in the past and found they didn't offer many choices for waders/boots.

Dougfish

Small store. I'd call ahead. They have a big ass warehouse full of waders on the east side of town.
That's where the outlet store is.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

12-10-20

Gas $1.89

Since Al was nice enough to give us a "heads up" on the damn dam flows being shut down to just the low flow valve I had to make plans to get up and fish the ole gal. With all the rain and damn dam issues it's been a rare event to be able to wade her.

I let the sun come up and begin to warm the day up before I hit the road. Hit the empty parking lot at 11 and  hiked in to Sally's Pool, tried a BWO emerger until I realized it was fruitless and then went with a nymphing rig, splitcase / rs2 combo. The wild browns took the fly ever so gently and I'm certain that many strikes went undetected, but enough came to hand to keep it interesting and I was glad that I made the trip.

I wondered what the trout would be thinking after about 7 months of flows ranging from 400 to several thousand cfs suddenly being cut to 45 cfs, the previously "normal" low flow wade fishing level. Would they all hunker down and freak out at the low water? It took a bit, but I found them along the seams of fast water and in some of the deeper slower runs. It was great to be back fishing the old spots again. I did get into a pod of stockers, normally I haven't found many down this far from the stocking points, but I guess with the increased flows they have been dispersed further down along the river.

Around 3 a couple of other anglers showed up, on crashed through the woods, low holeing me, why he didn't take one of the many cut  throughs is beyond me, and then he turned around  and reentered further downstream at one of the paths. And then Roy, from SRTU high holed me, I could tell it was him by his hat. Hemmed in now I called it quites and headed back to the car for some sardines doctored up with some hot sauce,

The day sort of looked like this...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I'm jelly.  'c;
Work, work, work.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

Glad you got back and reacquainted with an old friend.

Onslow

Christmas came early!

Al

This just in from the COE at Philpott ...............

"Attention Trout Fisherman: 

The Philpott Dam Sluice Gate has been closed while both Low Flow Valves have been opened. This should provide some favorable bank/wade fishing in the Smith River. There has not been many opportunities to fish the Smith River, so get out there while you can. Flows around 80 cubic feet second (CFS) will continue through Thursday (1/14/21) afternoon before the Sluice gate will reopen. The Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources has stocked several times so there should be plenty of fish to catch. Please call the generation schedule at (276) 629-2432 for current water releases."

(FYI expect more of this in the future. COE & DWR are talking and it is looking favorable. I will try to keep you updated)

Dougfish

With the late notice, I thought I would not be able to head down today. But I slept like shit, so I got up early and banged out some work and got my weekly early AM trip to Kroger taken care of. Looked at the time, and said eff it, I'm going.
Hit the water at 11:15. Only vehicle in the lot.
Took out a beer and left my little cooler at Sally's Hole.
Hiked down a bit further and jumped in.
Euro'd. Left my camera in my haste. Got as many phone pics as I could.

Took a while to get dialed it. They did not want the 12-14 sure thing anchor flies. Or the 16-18 upper flies. Put on a chunky #6 3x long girdlebug and they ate.

Fish were strong and chunky. Missed a few, lost some more. Shitty hooksets, probably.
A lot of the casts were long, with a greased leader on top of the water. Not the best scenario.
Clarity was good to very good. Lots of gravel has moved around. Fish lies and channels have shifted. And if that was 80 cfs at the gauge....I was getting pushed pretty good.
I saw one guy stick his head in above me with his dog. We waved and he headed down below me.
I appreciated that. I heard some whooping, so he must have got into them too.

Cheeburger.

Sat down to warm up, eat lunch, and check emails.
That tuna is the tits.

Caught a couple more, wound up and hiked out.
It was worth the 1:40 round trip.
Got home and got my 4 mile neighborhood walk in.
Thanks for the heads up, Al.

:cheers

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

troutrus

Drove up into Virginia to snoop around. Went to Fairystone and walked around some. Several guys fishing and one guy catching some stocker rainbows. Pretty little lake.
Down at Smith River saw two vehicles parked at upper mirror plant. Drove up to the dam and counted seven cars parked along the road. Haven't been up that way in a couple years and was surprised to see the trailer park up at the old Hollingsworth property😳.  Nobody fishing off the wall up by the dam. Guess the low flow valve release chased them off.  Drove back down the road and stopped at the canoe launch at the lower mirror plant. One guy pan frying a couple rainbow and one fly fisherman leaving.
Nice day.
Recording indicates they reopened a sluice gate one foot =~ 500 cfs
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.