Wading boot recomendations

Started by themidge, January 02, 2016, 11:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptfranze

Quote from: Big J on January 06, 2016, 16:46:32 PM
Quote from: the_sculpinator on January 06, 2016, 16:39:26 PM
nope

I missed your reply.

Go Vibram with some Star Bite Cleats if your wanting to hike in them.  I have had no issues with traction or not getting the miles out of my Freestone boots.

My Star Bite cleats started falling out soon after I put them in.  Been having more luck, and feel like I have more traction with the Goat Head Sole spikes.  They are cheaper, they send more and I think they work better.  Realistically they are just sheet metal screws you can get at most hardware stores though.

Da Heisenberg

I'd be curious to know if those big goofy looking cleats that Patagonia makes are any good. They almost look like ice bars for mountaineering.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/foot-tractor-wading-boots?p=79150-0

Native Fisher

Quote from: ptfranze on January 07, 2016, 10:04:18 AM
Realistically they are just sheet metal screws you can get at most hardware stores though.

But the wader studs for my Chotas are stainless steel.  Standard sheet metal screws will rust like hell and wear quicker.

Dougfish

Goats are NOT sheet metal screws. They rock.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ptfranze

Doug I love Goats do not get me wrong and plan to keep buying them anytime I need studs.   

Realistically they are somewhat similar to sheet metal screws you can get at most hardware stores.  Fixed

rbphoto

hardened SS vs. carbide - either are a trade off.

I don't do spikes.

Hike in hiking boots, wade in wading boots.

Felt is still my preference, although I will be looking at some Simms boots this year and exploring options.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

driver

ptfranze

Quote from: driver on January 07, 2016, 15:01:38 PM

Quote from: ptfranze on January 07, 2016, 13:46:46 PM
Doug I love Goats do not get me wrong

I bet you do! Beastie Boy.

I'm not the one that has an animal with his dick swinging as his avatar  p;-

driver

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

B Harrison

Using a used pair of Chota's now.  Felt soles.  A couple studs would be cool, but only because I climb a lot.  I can't say anything about other boots, but these seem to be tough as they work well and were used when I got them.

driver

if you fish those Chodes hard enough you might get 6 months out of em.

Dee-Vo

As mentioned the Chotas blew out on me pretty quickly. I also noticed the other day my few month old Simms Freestones have a seam that is coming loose already on the side of the boot. I fish 'em often, but I expected more. Maybe they'll hold up. (They've been in action for 8 months)

troutboy_II

I don't work for Chota and I don't care what you wear - whatever makes you happy...

That being said, I got 4 years of  heavy use out of my STL's and only bought some new ones because somebody gave me a gift card at Kevin's shop and the felt was beginning to wear a little thin at the heal on the pair I had and I had bought a size about ½ size too small anyway, so I bought a new pair 1/2 size longer instead of having the old one's re-felted.
The new pair of STL's (bought early 2015) seem the same quality, etc. and have performed fine, however, I did not fish near as much in 2015 as usual, so they have not been vetted fully at this point.  I guess they may have changed the design, etc. that would lead to problems reported on this thread; I just never had a problem with mine under similar circumstances.  Perhaps their other boots are not as well made?  They do have 1 year return policy.
My $.02.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Native Fisher

Love my Chota STLs, but I haven't fished enough the past two years to put any wear on this new pair. FYI, I posted this awhile back. http://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php?topic=9171.0