News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Quick Trip

Started by Yallerhammer, May 25, 2019, 15:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Haven't fished much lately. Been going through a lot of health issues with my mom, and been busy as hell at work to boot, and the creeks here have been blown out more or less for months.

Finally got a few hours to hit the Smokies. I didn't take many pics, because I was trying to squeeze in as much fishing as possible in the small amount of time I had.

Creek was still pretty damn high and tough to wade and fish, but the fish I could get to were hitting good. Been awhile since I've satisfied my piscavorious cravings with murdered wild trout, so I kept a limit for supper and turned about twenty more loose. Not a bad morning out at all. Those fatter rainbows with the turbo tails put up a good fight in the high, fast current on a long, whippy rod.

You cannot view this attachment.

Yes, I'm a murderer, but a happy one:

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

I'm down with the murderin. Good to see you out about.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on May 25, 2019, 17:23:36 PMI'm down with the murderin. Good to see you out about.

I think every creek in the Smokies would benefit greatly if everyone who fished it was required to keep 20 5"-6" rainbows before they could release a fish.  ;D

Side note: I'm finally getting the hang of that 10-foot buggy whip Euro bitch-nymphing rod, and it friggin' rocks when the water is up. Gotta order me a spare spool and try dry fly fishing with it now.

Phil

Yes, you are on a roll. Fine stuff.  0:0
I have one of them new 10' Euro rods. Gotta learn how to use it. My next goal.

Dougfish

Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 25, 2019, 17:45:08 PMSide note: I'm finally getting the hang of that 10-foot buggy whip Euro bitch-nymphing rod, and it friggin' rocks when the water is up. Gotta order me a spare spool and try dry fly fishing with it now.

I've got a DT 3wt line on mine. Keep a dry fly leader handy. Swap out the euro leader for the dry fly leader and go.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dougfish on May 25, 2019, 19:45:20 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 25, 2019, 17:45:08 PMSide note: I'm finally getting the hang of that 10-foot buggy whip Euro bitch-nymphing rod, and it friggin' rocks when the water is up. Gotta order me a spare spool and try dry fly fishing with it now.

I've got a DT 3wt line on mine. Keep a dry fly leader handy. Swap out the euro leader for the dry fly leader and go.

I've got a 3 wt fly line on mine, but I've got 25' of 20 lb. test Maxima nail-knotted to it. Works great for stripping streamers. It would be a pain in the ass to switch to a regular leader, though.

Dougfish

Cut the Maxima at 6", tie a perfection loop in each end and viola, loop to loop.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

Euro nymphing does not work so please stop doing it.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: itieuglyflies on May 26, 2019, 07:46:26 AMEuro nymphing does not work so please stop doing it.

I'm not really Euro-nymphing per se, probably. I'm just modifying my usual high-stick nymphing method that I learned 35-40 years ago from the old-timers around here. (A couple old guys I knew then nymph fished with a long fly rod spooled with regular mono, sometimes with an underspin reel even, and they slayed the fish.) Everything new is just something old re-invented, I guess. I love the extra reach from the length of the 10-footer. I have been experimenting with using a colored Euro-style sighter tied into my leader, and I think it helps to detect some strikes I would miss without it. 

Phil

Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 26, 2019, 08:12:42 AM
Quote from: itieuglyflies on May 26, 2019, 07:46:26 AMEuro nymphing does not work so please stop doing it.

I'm not really Euro-nymphing per se, probably. I'm just modifying my usual high-stick nymphing method that I learned 35-40 years ago from the old-timers around here. (A couple old guys I knew then nymph fished with a long fly rod spooled with regular mono, sometimes with an underspin reel even, and they slayed the fish.) Everything new is just something old re-invented, I guess. I love the extra reach from the length of the 10-footer. I have been experimenting with using a colored Euro-style sighter tied into my leader, and I think it helps to detect some strikes I would miss without it. 

"Everything new is something old re-invented..."  I learned to "fly-fish" with a fly rod and reel with mono and a Mepps spinner tipped w/ a worm.  :embarassed:

<edit> It was a Hildebran spinner, not Mepps. The mind is going>

Woolly Bugger

Purdy pics of da fishes  d:b
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Good work, Yaller. Keep at it.