News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyFisher22, creakycane, JCB3, slats, Friar Tuck, rbphoto, Fishbug, dublhaul and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 08, 2016, 21:40:57 PM
Ha, just found the bitch!!! -0- V:;
Dam. I was about to head down there and pick me up a new GoBro

Woolly Bugger

2016-50,51
Now that the river is wadable and there are still some sulphurs around I headed up Sunday and Monday evenings. Forgot the TG-3, so strapped on the GoPro. Hiked in across the field, which felt like a desert in the heat of the afternoon. Fish were rising, might have done better with a soft hackle, but stuck with a dry fly. I relished the solitude of the quite evening, and watched the color of the water, was it blue, black, or golden yellow? Perhaps all of those colors and a million more all at the same time as it reflected the trees, sky and the clouds which were now tinted by the colors of the setting sun.

Sunday, two cars it the lot! Damn, crowds! Repeat of the day before. I fished on downstream, watched the two anglers come on up and behind me where they settled in to "see if we could learn anything" by watching me. Turns out it was Benny and his friend Roy(?) who have fished together for 30 years. They were glad to see the lower flows, but had told me that they had fished the higher flows too. Benny had wacked about 40 of the little peckerheads, he fishes a flymph, down and across and then stripping it in....

Looking at the video you would think this river would hold a lot of good sized trout. But it's running at six times it's normal flow as they continue to work of the dam. Here are a few pics and another video....

Hottest day of the year so far...

Typical pune...

Fish till dusk...

Go back the next day, if you can, just because it looks like this...

Catching these diminutive beauties doesn't hurt...

0:0

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Hell yea, Woolly. I enjoyed the vid.

Yallerhammer

Good stuff! Liked the vid, too. Those may be punes in the river, but would be solid fish in a smaller creek.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Al

Good stuff Woolly.  We are going to sample below MV on Wed and Thurs. I'll probably have some photos but may not post too many out here on public side. I will let everyone know what my impression is of the flows though.

Al

Quote from: Al on June 14, 2016, 13:41:34 PM
Good stuff Woolly.  We are going to sample below MV on Wed and Thurs. I'll probably have some photos but may not post too many out here on public side. I will let everyone know what my impression is of the flows though.

Flows are still too much for my taste - if you are in shallow water in areas where it is fairly wide you have no problem but you should be aware that the water is about a foot higher then normal all over so wading even in the easy spots is limited.

Here's the only photo you are going to get from me here in the public side from our recent samplinging

Woolly Bugger

2016 - 52

i could go to the place a million times and never get tired of it...
i may even go back again today...

0:0

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dee-Vo

swervinmervin

Dougfish

I share your opinion of that place.

Nice... V:;  0:0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

2016 – 53

While most of you fuckers were off catching bid azz carps on the surface, I had to settle for the smith river punes...  n!n  I was surprised that nobody else was fishing in this location. There were plenty of paddlers on the lower river thou. I see that DARBA now has a drone... WTF?  :;![/rant]

Having my morning coffee downtown, watching the world go by (yoga pants) and editing the video from yesterday, nothing else on the schedule. Some friends are chasing the cicada hatch, catching carp on the surface. I'm trying to get in on some of that action, but for the moment, I'm stuck on the local pune brown trout stream.

I made sure that I packed the camera today and left the gopro behind. Yeah!!

Inspiration

Across the street for a snad and some beerz, oh yeah!

Mosaic lives up to the promise!

Twisted up a few streamside

Keep 'em cool; water running at 46 degrees

I had intended to stay till half past dark, but the river just plain shut down after seven, and I was out of beer.

I wish the river would run at this level year round... I think that the river is wadable, tough in spots, but other places its really not a problem. I think it's 9 or 10 inches above the normal low flow.. I does however look like the diddymo is loving all the cool water and the rock snot is covering up the rocks. I don't know if this has any impact on the bugs or not.

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Most excellent carpage alternative.  -0-
That beer is too hoppy for me.  :o Slipped some into Aaaaron's cooler to rid myself of them.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

jwgnc

0:0  Thanks - I needed that
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Dee-Vo

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff