News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

2018 Warm Water

Started by natureboy, February 23, 2018, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natureboy

Kicking off the 2018 version of this thread with some low country action.  Chartreuse and white clouser was the ticket. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Big J

You have me hungry for a crappie fish fry now. 

natureboy

Looking to #keepemwet in a pan of hot oil.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DRIFTS

Looks good...makes me want to fry a few myself!  0:0
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

brownhunter

It's been too long since I've enjoyed some crappie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

streamereater_101691

I don't know about you guys, but this winter has been brutal here in the piedmont. I feel the warm water season getting ready to bust open after a couple 70 degree days.

driver

It's back to normal Feb. weather this week.  But I plan to check to see if the white bass are running this week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bmadd

We're looking at a possible total rainfall of 20" over the last two weeks here so my fishing is non existent. Still haven't wet a line this year. Our crappie will probably have their spawn ruined this year.

DRIFTS

Moving picture report...floating with my buddy Dr. J

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DRIFTS

Quote from: DRIFTS on March 20, 2018, 06:16:45 AM
Moving picture report...floating with my buddy Dr. J

That time again!

ryguy

I was just thinking about whether or not the Stripers were running yet...  I heard the Shad are in Richmond already.  Now I'm plotting a schedule adjustment to do a float trip.

Between this and turkey season coming up, how do we get anything done in the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big J

Well I didn't realize they were in the Staunton already.   -0-

Woolly Bugger

4/1/18

2018 -19

This is the third year that I've made a trip up to Richmond to fish the shad run with Itieunglyflies. ON the way I stop in and fish the White Bass run with Driver. Sunday afternoon might not be the best time to find solitude on the river and as I approached the river there were a bunch of spin fishermen on the banks of the river. I headed on upstream and fished some spots that had been productive in the past. Driver joined my shortly and when the spin guys leapfrogged around us with their stringers half full of 14 plus inch fish, we headed on down to where they had been as we really didn't have a lot of time to hike down to the lower sections of the river. Driver hooked up first and then I got into a couple. Not exactly on fire, I blamed the heavily stained water. The Driver had to take off so we headed back to the vehicles for a beer, he drove off to family activities and I got back on the road to Richmond.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

4/2/18
2018 -20
I checked into my hotel and then headed over the bridge and down the road to the Stone Brewery for an evening of fun. As I crossed the river I saw dozens of fishermen on the bank, bridge and in boats. A few minutes later I pulled into Stones Parking lot, unfortunately the sign said that they were closing two hours early for Easter Sunday.  I got a Tangerine IPA and took it outside. I sat down next to a couple at a picnic table and enjoyed some good conversation and laughs. The guy went back in for another round but they had invoked last call and wouldn't pour at twenty till six. He attempted to outsmart them and purchased a sixer. When there friend arrived, they handed him a bottle and he took one sip, then a beer nazi swooped and snatched it off the table admonishing them that bottled beer couldn't be consumed on premise. Then the dude that purchased the bottles was gesticulating and knocked over my IPA, damn it!  After that I headed down the road to try out Triple Crossing Brewery and grab a pizza for dinner. Strange brewery with lots of sours, most of their beers were offered in 10 or 13 ounce pours despite their low gravity. I had a Waxing Poetic – Blood Orange and Grapefruit sour 13 oz pour for $6.50, but with taxes it came to $7.36! I asked how did we get from six fifty to seven thirty six. Taxes!
I enjoyed the pricy beer and went back for a 16 oz Salinity Sour – Gose ad put my order in for a pizza! The barmaid set my pint down on the edge of the rubber mat and then knocked it over, "That's the second time tonight somebody has spilled my beer!" I cried. "It must be you," shouted two customers behind me as the barmaid poured a second pint for me.

I watched the sunset as I drank my beer and ate my pizza, leaving half for breakfast in the morning.

Back at the hotel I settled in watching a Star Wars marathon and tried to get some sleep before the 4:50 alarm went off.

I was amazed at the amount of early traffic on I-85, I made the short drive to the boat ramp and pulled in behind Itieuglyflies at a quarter till six.

The boat was launched and gear loaded in short order and we motored out into the river on a chilly windy morning. We anchored up on spot number one and bracing against the wind we waited for the sun to rise. We were alone at first but a little later we were joined by almost silent sculling teams as they worked their way down the river at the stand of the tide.
As dawn broke we cast into the ebbing tide and our flies swung down and across the channels where we imagined schools of shad holding. It wasn't long before we began hooking up with the hickory. But Fred wasn't happy with the hook up rate, we blamed the weather and everything else, but we were still catching fish, and those forked tailed anadromous fish fight well and put a bend in the rod.

It was a mixed bag and we caught herring, yellow perch, and I even caught (snagged) three gizzard shad and ITUF caught a striper.

We had a couple of doubles.

We saw an osprey chasing after a bald eagle.

Well the fishing was slow enough to leave what few fish there were to find more fish.

Kyle says, "Don't leave fish to find fish!"

We moved up the river among several other boats, some of which were leaving as we dropped anchor, indicating that it was slow there as well.
But we caught a few hickory and then I got into an American, you can tell right off the bat the power that these larger fish possess. 

Things slowed down there too and we moved on down to the American Hole as ITUF calls it. There he got to catching, first cast a hickory, second cast another hickory, third cast an Ameican! Damn.

We caught a few more and by 4 o'clock I was done and we headed back to the ramp. While ITUF was getting the trailer, two Virginia Marine Police struck up a conversation with me and asked to see my license. I told them that I didn't have it on me but they could call it in and verify that it was valid, and that I had just been checked on the Smith River a few weeks ago. They held onto my driver's license while the boat was pulled out and unloaded. They confirmed that my license was current and then proceeded to check for life jackets but never asked ITUF for his fishing license.

That's all for now....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

bd;0 Bossman getting after it.