News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Gear Reviews / Re: Gonna try again -- Euro
Last post by Phil - Today at 15:33:56 PM
Today --First couple of hours trying out the hew Echo Carbon XL 10' 3 weight Euro rod rigged with ultra-thin setup. An inauspicious first outing because the wind was blowing so hard it was lifting my nymph out of the water at times, never mind what it was doing to the sighter. Casting was nigh impossible in the wind.
That said, during the times between gusts I managed 5 trout, 4 wild bows and a brown, all small. I DID feel the bites as the sighter jiggled. Could also feel the nymph bumping rocks in the bottom. I like the Echo rod -- very sensitive tip section -- much superior to the Orvis Clearwater Euro rod I bought and returned a couple years ago. The finish on the rod is fine, it seems to be a very decent rod for $180. Thumbs up review.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Local Bands, sma...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 13:05:30 PM
Quote from: troutboy_II on Today at 08:58:19 AMWhat a cool place!  You're lucky to have it. I miss the Handlebar here in Greenville.

TB

The new owners turned the bar into a music listening venue — great sound system and about 50 new chairs that are wide and comfortable. I can't imagine how much they spent on those but I'm certain there weren't  cheap
Last post by troutboy_II - Today at 08:58:19 AM
What a cool place!  You're lucky to have it. I miss the Handlebar here in Greenville.

TB
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Nuclear Disaster...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 07:08:53 AM
First Images Inside Fukushima's Nuclear Reactor Show "Icicle-Like" Structures
Many robots have ventured into the ruins of Fukushima, but few have returned.

A snake-like robot and mini drones have ventured deep inside the irradiated reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station in Japan. As shown in their new images, the clean-up operations still have some way to go 13 years after the catastrophic nuclear meltdown.

The decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station has made progress. In 2023, they finally went ahead with their controversial plan to dump treated water from the Fukushima nuclear disaster into the Pacific Ocean, marking a significant milestone in its clean up.

However, there have been a considerable number of setbacks. In 2017, the ruins of Fukushima were dubbed a "robot graveyard" owing to the number of remote-controlled probes that had broken inside the irradiated facility.

TEPCO has said the full decommissioning of the plant will "require 30 to 40 years", but critics say this is naively optimistic.

https://www.iflscience.com/first-images-inside-fukushimas-nuclear-reactor-show-icicle-like-structures-73731
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by streamereater_101691 - Today at 07:00:24 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 16, 2024, 07:52:52 AM

Hillside work continues up at the damn dam and they are still looking to bring the damn dam back online in 2025/26, fish it while the current conditions continue 'cause once they complete the work it'll got back to an all (1400 cfs) or nothing (80 cfs) peak power generation.

1400? Keep going. With these "new and improved turbines", they are estimating 1500-1800cfs with 2 units running. We are working now with the corps, dwr, and dominion trying to never see that happen due to public safety and negative environmental effects. Amazingly, the folks at the coe are more on  mindful of the fish than ever before.
Pyscho Fly Fishers / Re: PFF V47 Shady Vally TN
Last post by yakfisher - April 17, 2024, 20:37:25 PM
Have not been to one of these in years. Been out of fishing for a while. I would love to go to this!!! Still fly fishing out of a kayak!! LOL Need to check with my significant other but should be a go.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited bear news
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 17, 2024, 18:26:03 PM
Warm Water Species / Re: Strange creatures in the J...
Last post by itieuglyflies - April 17, 2024, 15:27:04 PM
The Lampreys seem to be much more active at night...strange looking critters. We are at prespawn time for the blue cats and they are very active.
Warm Water Species / Re: Strange creatures in the J...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 17, 2024, 14:42:24 PM
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 17, 2024, 14:16:51 PM

Third Tuesday of the month brings us back to the Flat Iron in Greensboro for another Singer Songwriter session hosted by Abigail Down and featuring Martha Bassett, Jane Kramer and Jess Klein.

And Lynn Koontz and Abigail joined the trio to close out the set with Leaving on a Jet Plane