News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Floatant

Started by troutphisher, December 06, 2006, 20:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I bought some Frogs Fanny float treatment for flies last week.
Woolly showed me this product while fishing a couple of weeks ago. I saw how it was applied and it worked pretty good.

I tried this on several flies last week, all dry patterns, but It could be used on nymphs to fish the film.

This product worked very well and I like the powder brush applicator. I read the instructions, and applied it accordingly. The flies floated high on the water, even in the riffles and faster currents.

What I liked best about this, was even after the fish slimmed the fly, you could wash off the fly in the river, blow on the fly to fluff it up, then reapply the powder and your back in business.

I was using Poo Goo, witch is a silicone product, but I like the frogs fanny better.

Thanks for showing me the product Wool!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

yeah, I've pretty much given up of paste and other gooey floatants, the Frog's Ass Product works very well, but I hate spending $4.25 for 1/10 of an ounce of anything... You know that the package, marketing and profit make up 99% of the cost!!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

hmmmm, anybody try this "refill" product? How in the heck can you get the stuff into your original bottle with the brush?

http://www.kumaflyfishing.com

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

At first I thought this tread was going to be a What's your favorite Floatant or Lubricant.. but it actually turned out to be INFORMATIVE!

me -There's a season?

kuma Fish

Regarding, 'How do you get the stuff in the old Fanny bottles?',  it is a little tough and messy, but try folding an index card and use it as a 'funnel' or 'slide'. 

Frog's Fanny bottles are tough because the opening is small, but the little extra effort is well worth the savings.  You will save tons of $$ by refilling!

I like Frog's Fanny, but I usually use Top Ride or Shimazaki.  Easy to refill.  Put your fly in, shake, and you're good to go.

We are going to soon offer 'ready to go' bottles in addition to our refills.  The bottle will be exactly like the Top Ride bottle (with a locking flip top).  Look for it soon on our webpage.

www.kumaflyfishing.com

Woolly Bugger, when you receive your order, test it out.  I hope it is exactly what you want!

Thanks,

Kuma Fish

troutphisher

One other note, I forgot to mention about his product.
Unlike the silicone jells, this product does not stick the hackle fibers together.
When I use the jell products, it always managed to bind the hackle fibers to each other.

This powder did not have any of those effects. I used it on hackled flies, as well as hair wing flies, it worked equally on both types.

I also applied it to some nymphs, size 16 PTN, and it kept them riding in the film.

The application of this product was also much easier then rubbing the jell, in to the body and hackle.

I found a local dealer who offers this at $3.50/bottle
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Larry

Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Mstash

I found frogs Butt for $3.64 at a outdoor shop near me last week. Going back soon and buy all they have

Mstash

teachrtec

I have found the tip for cake decorating piping bag make great small funnels. Fairly cheap.

Brad :)
Brad  8)

Brudog

Frog Butt is good stuff.....they also claim it produces realistic air bubbles when applied to nymphs..who knows??
"...I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising! " K. Powers

flatlander

I'm a white powder addict...frog's fanny that is.  I haven't found anything that work's better on CDC.  Takes fish slime off and works wonders on getting moss off flies as well.  The only thing I hate about it is how it dries up the end of my thumb and forefinger after using it all day.

kuma Fish

Quote from: Brudog on December 16, 2006, 00:34:27 AM
Frog Butt is good stuff.....they also claim it produces realistic air bubbles when applied to nymphs..who knows??

If you haven't tried it on nymphs, give it a try.  Could be deadly when nothing else seems to be working!  The Frog's fanny with its brush works the best on nymphs, you can really work it into the dubbing.  I have a picture of a nymph underwater on my webpage.   http://www.kumaflyfishing.com/about.htm

The Frog's Fanny brush also works well with CDC flies.  The brush helps separate and re-fluff it out.  Besides nymphs and CDC's, I prefer the other bottles like Top Ride and Shimazaki.  Easier to just shake and go.  Don't have to fumble with the brush and worry about dropping it in the river. 

KUMA FISH

pmike

Some fellows on another board did a bit of research and found out that you can order the compound that Frog's Fanny is made from and it works just as good but is pennies on the dollar price wise. If interested, let me know and I'll dig up the information.

If I'm not mistaken it's a paint additive and is in fact what they call, "fumed silica".

Mike

troutphisher

Mike:
I sure would like to know!

Thanks!

TP

Woolly Bugger

We were just at the Orvis Store in Roanoke and discovered that they have a large size refill bottle athough it's rather expensive @ $27.

I'm running low on my Frog's Fanny, so I'll be testing the Kuma Fish Shortly. The winner of the PHoto Contest will get a bottle to try also...

Voting will run through Sunday.
me -There's a season?