News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadromous and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

5xTippett

I shall let ya'll take care of the river for awhile.  I'm gonna be shooting stuff!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

It will be a couple of weeks before I get back to the river.  We have 3 deer in the freezer, but on the quest for a couple more.  Off to the hills with the entire family plus the pooch – for the traditional Thanksgiving meal of squirrel, squirrel gravy, and taters, then hunting for a few days.  I think the tiny olive hatch will last.  I remember seeing it after Christmas.  Remind me that you want to go Beetle.  Can we drag Flats from his lair? 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

We are unlikely to drag Flats away from bottles and diapers but we can certainly try.   Look forward to it!

Woolly Bugger

Fun but frustrating with those super small bugs. The last couple of times I've been up there late I the day the bugs and risers have been sparse. Glad you got out and  caught a few
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

consumnfire1229

Dougfish and I met up at the mirror plant at 9 a.m. anxious to suit up and hit the water.  It was about 36 degrees when I left the house, but was closer to freezing down on the river.  We both assumed that it would be another hour or so before things started to pick up. 

Around the 10:30 mark the sun started to hit the river and the bugs started flying.  Sort of like dust floating in the air through a sun glazed window.  Tiny midges...Oddly enough, the fish just were rising.  Doug and I tried everything from tiny griffith's knats to streamers.  Nothing!

About 1 p.m.  Doug left and said he knew when he had been beaten.  Me on the other hand, I was tempted to catch a fish.  At this point I had made it back to the trestle pool.  Fish was rising sparsely and I tried my best.

Around 2:30, olive's started to come off the water in abundance.  This last maybe 10 min...After a long hard day on the river, I managed 2 fish along with another 2 that came unbuttoned.  If you were part of Big J's Christmas Swap, you will get a sample of the fly I caught the 2 on...

two measly pictures to show for it.

[attach=1]

Same fish....
[attach=2]

Until next time, chalk this one up as a win for the Smith.

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Dougfish

Ugh. A lovely waste of gas.  :;!
Hope you plugged some more venison later.

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on December 17, 2012, 05:48:56 AM
Ugh. A lovely waste of gas.  :;!
Hope you plugged some more venison later.

Now aren't you glad you went brook trout fishing last weekend   ;D

Beetle

I had a really good trip on Friday.   

I drove up to the Smith and kept on going to my bird hunting destination.   ;D

Woolly Bugger

Hit the Smith for an hour before dark on the way to REI in Greensboro for some last minute Christmas Shopping...

[attach=1]
not granddad, but better than nothing ...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

consumnfire1229

On your way to Greensboro from Winston?  Not sure how the Smith is on the way but... bd;0
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Trout Chaser

Nice detour Wooly!!  When did Greensboro get an REI?

TC

Woolly Bugger

It's not really out of the way when trout are involved...

[attach=1]
At 3:15

Honey, I'm taking the big dog and going to pick up a few items at REI, I'm going to stop by the river on the way.
They don't close 'till 9, but I'll be home by 7:30

Okay....

Fished from 4:30 to 5:45, got home at 7:45...

REI's been there for three or four years now I think....

The Shops at Friendly,where the Apple Store is, just down the road from Friendly Shopping Center,
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 23, 2012, 23:15:48 PM
It's not really out of the way when trout are involved...

Quote of the week. Good going, chief!

gamatt53

nice little detour. you were only a couple miles from my place. I have to stay away from REI for my bank account's sake

benben reincarnated

Nice play Woolly.  I've done a little bit of detour fishing before too, but not quite of that magnitude.

Quote from: gamatt53 on December 24, 2012, 14:24:42 PM
nice little detour. you were only a couple miles from my place. I have to stay away from REI for my bank account's sake

I can walk to one from work, talk about trouble...and not to mention there is an Whorvis store across the street from that.