News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

way cool... chestnut trees found in GA

Started by walt, May 18, 2006, 18:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

http://www.acf.org/

American Chestnut Foundation...

there are some chestnut trees in Stone Mountain Park too.... :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

natureboy

That is pretty cool, I used to run into a bunch of them when I was out hunting ginseng with my Dad and Brother, none of them more than a few inches in diameter though.  There is still a lot of the wood from them around in fences, barns, furniture, etc.

jamie

I saw the remains of one that was probley 2' in diameter on the grounds of WCU behind Reynolds Hall. It is a shame that there are no more big ones. I hope the project in GA is succesful.
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

flyman

If you have nuts on your chest, what do you have?......... Chestnuts

If you have nuts on a beech, what do you have?......... Beechnuts

If you have nuts on a wall, what do you have?.......... Walnuts

If you have nuts on your chin, what do you have?
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Dixie Trout

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

phg

Yeah, from time to time someone will find a tree big enough to have nuts on it, but they don't last long.  Usually in a year or two, the blight kills them.  I have had the privelage of eating some of the nuts, though.  They are incredable!