As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

goot knot for small lines

Started by flyfish_va, December 23, 2008, 08:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfish_va

anybody got a good know for 6x and smaller flourocarbon in cold weather

River Man

Try the Davey Knot.  I realy like it and it's a quick tie.

River Man

outdoorguy3

Quote from: River Man on December 23, 2008, 09:11:45 AM
Try the Davey Knot.  I realy like it and it's a quick tie.

River Man

Yep, what River Man said, my go to on hooks 20 and smaller!  From what Ive read it works on larger lines and hooks too.  Good knot!

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

flatlander

Do you guys find that knot is really as strong as they claim?  I messed around with it a few years ago after reading about it.  I did the arm chait test where you compare knots by pitting them against each other on a single piece of tippet.  I used a basic clinch vs the Davy knot and got mixed results.  I think my clinch beat it 7 to 3.  Maybe I wasn't tying it right though.

outdoorguy3

Flat,

When I first started using it I had a few knots slip and break.  After reviewing how it's tied and watching the video by Zach Matthews I haven't had a problem at all.  I've been using it a bunch trying to give it a real, on the stream test and really like the way it has preformed.  Have caught several large fish on it with out a problem.  I really like this knot for smaller flies.  It's the same knot detailed in the book Midge Magic.  You have to make sure the knot is seated properly, and lube it when drawing it tight.  I always give a tug on the tag just to make sure.

Ralph   0--0

flatlander

I'll have to try it again.  No doubt it is easy to tie and doesn't make for a bulky knot on small flies.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

outdoorguy3

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 23, 2008, 10:55:30 AM
I'm still sold on the Pitzen Knot.

http://www.deepcreekflyfishers.org/pitzen_knot.htm

Woolly,

I still use the Pitzen too.  Use that knot on larger stright eyed hooks.  Turned down eyes I use the Turle knot.  that's pretty much my system for trout flies.  Poppers and such I use a loop knot and that about covers it....four knots and I'm good ta go.

Ralph    0--0

troutfreak

Fire-Fly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 23, 2008, 10:55:30 AM
I'm still sold on the Pitzen Knot.

http://www.deepcreekflyfishers.org/pitzen_knot.htm
My grandfather showed me how to tie that knot close to 30 years ago and i use it 99% of the time.

ohiooutdoorsman

Pitzen if I'm in a hurry or have cold hands or lazy or orvis knot for when I have more time.

jkilday4

Thanks for the thread/links.  I've been looking for a lower-profile knot for <sz20's ever since I forgot how to tie what Maniac called a 'midge knot' a couple years ago.  I used the Davy on some ties on-stream today; easy tie and got away with very little waste.   ;hb  Although I can't say it's strength was tested really well by a big fish though...  :-[

glassfisher

Try the Orvis knot, it's a small knot and it's a loop knot so it does not restrict the fly.  It's also useful for tying droppers off a hook shank.

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Woolly Bugger

That Davie knot looks good, I've been playing around with it and it's easy to tie. I may give it a try on my next trip, if I remember when I'm tying on the fly....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!