News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCB3, T5Video, Woolly Bugger and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

troutfanatic

Hey Mud.

I need a better preservative recommendation. The school won't let me have Carosafe (EPA and OSHA issue). I'm currently using 70% isopropyl alcohol. This seems to denature the hell out of the internal proteins of my samples, pretty much leaving me with a chitin shuck that loses all color. Preferably looking for something I can easily and legally purchase.

Michael Toris

Formalin does wonders but it's toxic as hell.

Michael Toris

95% ethly alcohol is also a pretty good alternative

The Dude

Salt & Vinegar. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

troutfanatic

Lol John... pickled nymphs.

G, can I even find Formalin easily? I considered it, but I thought the EPA was all over that.

Michael Toris

Can you get it through the science department

troutfanatic

Nah, the department chair is real iffy about that stuff. I am pretty sure all specimens are kept in Carosafe (not sure what the hell it is, possibly formalin) but he won't let it out of school because of EPA and OSHA laws. 70% isopropyl is ruining the specimens though. I just gotta take better pics. I have more seine events on the horizon because I need lower river data and biomass.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on April 08, 2017, 16:48:40 PM
Hey Mud.

I need a better preservative recommendation. The school won't let me have Carosafe (EPA and OSHA issue). I'm currently using 70% isopropyl alcohol. This seems to denature the hell out of the internal proteins of my samples, pretty much leaving me with a chitin shuck that loses all color. Preferably looking for something I can easily and legally purchase.

Boiling in water will fix the proteins, I've heard.  Adding a drop or two of Glycerin to vial will preserve color temporarily they say.

I preserved everything in 70-75% ethanol.  I was never concerned with internal structures or retaining color.   These were bulk samples, which required removal of specimens from leaves, other woody debris, sand, etc.  However, I was a bit more careful with individual specimens used for reference collection – fresh pickling when the body juices leeched from large individuals.   Again, preserving color was not that important for the work that I did.

Addressing the proteins, I would not wish that gel-jockey shit (or whatever they're doing these days) on a broke dicked dog!  I had one very brief experience many moons ago when I tried to distinguish several populations of the Isonychia mayflies from various locations through electrophoresis.  It was for some damned worthless grade in some damned worthless insect physiology lab.  I forgot all that crap as quickly as I could; it was a fill-and-flush class and the preservative used was flushed as well.

Good luck.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutfanatic

Holy shit  :o

when you say electrophoresis, you mean you were using protein breakdowns to ID a species? Tell me that was grad school? I dig me some molecular biology, but not that much. I know VT has one hell of a molecular lab. My genetics professor (also micro for one of two semesters) went there, researched there and is still somewhat associated with them.

Fishbug

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 07, 2017, 09:06:38 AM
With all those fat caddis I'm tying up some green mop flies!

Been there, done that...
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

If you need some green, i can send you some mop hide.

creakycane

I happened to look at the temp trace on USGS Smith R in Bassett, and noticed today it has peaked about 70F.  Is this correct?

Seems kind of high for 205 CFS of water in Bassett (peaking at 70F) when 165 CFS is coming from Philpott at 49F.

Either the warm weather is really warming the water, or that is some mighty warm feeder water (Town Cr etc).   Maybe this is how it always is?

driver

That gauge has had some issues in that past.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 06, 2017, 12:39:09 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 06, 2017, 12:19:32 PM

Odd creature here, any ideas?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Asellidae = sow bug, cress bug - very cool and most excellent food item if in great numbers
Funny thing is I've been fishing a small green/brown scud for a number of years there with good success especially on some big stockers that allude others. Also have found that a small cress bug works as well. Many old timers refuse to partake because it was told to me "no scuds live here, so why fish one". Oh well, more for me i guess.

What was the deal back in the day with trying to transport some scuds from the soho? Why couldn't you just culture some..they are easy!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on April 11, 2017, 10:35:15 AM

What was the deal back in the day with trying to transport some scuds from the soho? Why couldn't you just culture some..they are easy!

There was no "deal" because I am sure there is a regulation that forbids introducing non-indigenous critters.  Plus, there's likely another law prohibiting the transplant of aquatic vegetation and critters across state lines.  None of this really amounts to much since both the Smith and the SOHO are human-made, managed ecosystems, and seem to be perfect candidates for such a scenario. 

Probably the bottom line why there was no "deal' is the fact that all of us that discussed such an action were huge chicken shits. 

Rear away, and then dump them in the Smith.  Just make sure to start with hardy individuals of a species that might work in the Smith.  If you get caught, simply tell them that you have permission from Brian Williams and Cricket.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 12, 2017, 08:01:18 AM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on April 11, 2017, 10:35:15 AM

There was no "deal" because I am sure there is a regulation that forbids introducing non-indigenous critters.  Plus, there's likely another law prohibiting the transplant of aquatic vegetation and critters across state lines.  None of this really amounts to much since both the Smith and the SOHO are human-made, managed ecosystems, and seem to be perfect candidates for such a scenario. 

Probably the bottom line why there was no "deal' is the fact that all of us that discussed such an action were huge chicken shits.

Makes perfect sense. Its all fun and games until someone gets a felony.

Quote]Rear away, and then dump them in the Smith.  Just make sure to start with hardy individuals of a species that might work in the Smith.  If you get caught, simply tell them that you have permission from Brian Williams and Cricket.

I was thinking azteca's. I use to culture them for my dwarf frogs and salamanders. I think I have a buddy who has a starter clutch in fact. Any ideas about how many would need to be introduced before they get going?