News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

troutfanatic

Sounds about right. I'm due to hit it again, preferably not in 420 CFS down low.

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 6

I was finished I tell you, finished with that project, so when I took off in the afternoon to fish puneville I wasn't worried about streeling away a couple of hours from work. Made the drive up in an hour and change only to find the usually empty lot filled with four cars, WTF on a Thursday afternoon..., I thought about heading to another spot, but popped a beer as I wasn't in a hurry, put the reel on ass backwards, snapped a photo and posted it, only to realize my faux pas a bit later... A spin / corn dunker dude came off the river and we talked for a while. "How'd you do?' I enquired. "Didn't catch any," he replied. I asked what he was using and looked at his spinners and offered up some suggestion "Them other guys, wouldn't say anything and gave me the evil eye," he told me. "I got me a fly poll, but haven't figured it out yet," he continued. I told him to get in touch with the local TU and that there was a "Fishing with friends" event that might give him some pointers on fly fishing...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

When I got to the water I realized that I had not only put the reel on assbackwards, but had posted up the pic... well at least I was drinking a beer at 1 o'clock.

Convinced that the stunted browns will still strike a streamer I tried on a small slumpbuster.

Worked the run and damn if I didn't get lowholed, so I changed directions and went up to the slough

Caught a couple of streamer eating browns and a trespassing rainbow who moved down from the stocked waters.
Then the damn phone rang. "We need you to make a couple of changes on the show!" Fuckeity fuk fuk! Trudge back to the car and make the drive back to the office made the changes and got the file uploaded before five. 

Jazz Night – beer, music, and fly tying...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

The reel was on the correct side, the line was wound on backwards.  :banana072:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on January 23, 2017, 17:08:39 PM
The reel was on the correct side, the line was wound on backwards.  :banana072:

No one, not even Dougie, I mean NO ONE casts rightie and switches hands to retrieve/wind the line with their right.  Not even a professional title-holding  wanker, who can switch hands in a single Planck length and not miss a rub, would employ such awkwardness when fly fishing!

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the Smith, but we/I can't let Doug spout BS. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Keep living under that Bath County rock, Steve-O.
When that bonefish takes me into the backing, I'll be cranking him back with my dominate hand.
Just the way I cranked those Carp in. You'll notice, I didn't have to go home at 1 for a nap.
Psst: J sets his up the same.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

LHR rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutfanatic

that's an awful lot of vehicles for that spot. I would have given him directions to where they stock the rainbows. They like them mepps n shit.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on January 23, 2017, 18:24:08 PM
When that bonefish takes me into the backing, I'll be cranking him back with my dominate hand.
Just the way I cranked those Carp in. You'll notice, I didn't have to go home at 1 for a nap.

Dominant hand is for jerking off and holding onto the rod!

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Agree on jerking off. I can hold the rod in my arm pit. If I could jerk off with my arm pit, I'd be famous. And rich.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Big J

You leave me out of this you weirdo.

driver

If it works for you then, great!

But I could not imagine fighting Albacore with my non-dominate arm. You don't need strength to reel in the fish, but strength to pull the fish in and then reel in the slack.

I'd have to agree with Muddy on this one.

Big J

Quote from: driver on January 23, 2017, 21:53:12 PM

But I could not imagine fighting Albacore with my non-dominate arm. You don't need strength to reel in the fish, but strength to pull the fish in and then reel in the slack.

If your left arm is not strong enough to  keep pressure on a frickin fish, then you may want to think about doing some curls for the girls.

#I'veneverfishedforalbies
#whereismyinvite

driver

Quote from: Big J on January 23, 2017, 21:57:17 PM
Quote from: driver on January 23, 2017, 21:53:12 PM

If your left arm is not strong enough to  keep pressure on a frickin fish, then you may want to think about doing some curls for the girls.

#I'veneverfishedforalbies
#whereismyinvite

So you're saying I should start drinking with my left hand?

by about the 5th albie I start holding the cork with my left and start pulling my rod with the right  :;!

Dougfish

"But the choice is yours. Don't let anybody tell you there is a right or wrong way to reel."

http://www.orvis.com/s/fly-fishing-reeling-technique/2853
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

Amphibians rule just ask Kermit it's good to be green!

me -There's a season?