News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wyoming Part 3

Started by Damselfly, October 13, 2007, 12:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damselfly

Saturday, I woke to breezy, unsettled weather that brought a cold rain as the day progressed. Boy was I glad my warm clothes had arrived! As I packed my things, the breeze turned gusty, and I decided this was great weather to head to Dave & Jyl's! I drove up through the Tetons into Yellowstone (Thanks ST & FG, I used the remaining time on your pass!), stopping here and there to look at thermals along the edge of Yellowstone Lake. Imagine being one of the first to see the area....
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

And it's all a huge caldera that will someday blow.....if ya gotta go, I'd rather go with such beauty than in a wreck on the Interstate.

Just past the East Gate, I stopped at a pullout on Middle Creek,

and proceeded to catch a dozen or so very enthusiastic Brook Trout in a single pool.

Just for fun, with a smile and a nod to Al, I tied on the only AllieWorm I had with me.....and I couldn't seem to keep the trout off of it! After catching one fellow twice on the same fly, it seemed too easy, so I wandered on-

As the day got colder and windier, I reached the N. Shoshone River at Pahaska Teepee, Buffalo Bill's Hunt Camp.

I'd wanted to fish here so I could imagine fishing in the footsteps of history. The gorge offered a bit of relief from the cold wind, but though I worked hard and tried everything in my box, I could only entice one leetle trout to bite.
And I'm not even sure what kind of trout it is...

Oh- and I saw a few of these and it suddenly occurred to me that I was looking at the "original" B**** Creek Fly.

Working my way back upstream I glanced at the path in the mud and caught my breath. Whoa....there be griz here! A BIG one.

And big wolves....or is this a cat? Bobcat? Mountain Lion??

And as I downloaded photos last night, I came across this one-

I could swear it looks like that track is ON TOP of mine...!! Could I have been so intent on finicky trout that I had been watched and never knew it?! My cold chill wasn't from the wind.

It's getting dark anyway- time to head for Dave & Jyl's (Irish & Toongal).
As darkness fell I pulled up across from the Wapiti Lodge/Restaurant/Liquor Store & Post Office as my cell phone beeped that I finally had service again. That weather had whipped up into a big snowstorm behind me and Dave & Jyl thought I'd been snowed in.
I finally got to Lovell, Population 2,300 +2, and had the best of times catching up with good friends for the next couple of days. I met a very friendly neighbor- who turned out to be a Mormon polygamist- and caused another neigbor to ask Jyl who that woman was who'd been staying with them....small towns- ya gotta love 'em!
We four (little grandson Nickolai was also visiting) explored the Park and Old Faithful one day and the Pryor Wild Horse Refuge the next-here are a couple of the highlights:
Old Faithful

Buffalo were "doing their thing"

Fishermen on the Firehole

Wild Ponies

Can you see the tiger stripes on their legs and the dorsal stripe down their back? How cool.....

A sod house in front of the Pryors- I swear I could live there. Wellll, except maybe in winter.......

Woolly Bugger

Strong Work! RockFish On! ;hb

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Dangnation, Damselfly. That was an excellent report with great pics!
What a trip you had!
It makes me want to chuck my jobs and head back out west.

Silver Creek

Nice photos. It brought back a lot of memories especially the pic of West Thumb. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

pelcrk

Lauri,keeps getting better. These pics help alot since I couldn't get out there the past two years.First time in twenty yrs. that I haven't .Did you get to fish any of the places on the NE side of YNP that i told you about?
Steve
It's all good drifts

brownhunter

Thanks for sharing some more with us. The pics are great.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Chaser

Spectacular  pictures and report.  Hopefully someday I'll get out there.

TC

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Damselfly on October 13, 2007, 12:06:19 PM

I'd wanted to fish here so I could imagine fishing in the footsteps of history. The gorge offered a bit of relief from the cold wind, but though I worked hard and tried everything in my box, I could only entice one leetle trout to bite.
And I'm not even sure what kind of trout it is...

Yellowstone Cut???
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

flatlander

Damselfly

I dunno Keith- it's mature but still has parr marks- I think it looks closer to the Bonneville Cutt on that certificate......
I'd LOVE to think it was- because I got the other three last trip!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Damselfly on October 15, 2007, 11:59:58 AM
I dunno Keith- it's mature but still has parr marks- I think it looks closer to the Bonneville Cutt on that certificate......
I'd LOVE to think it was- because I got the other three last trip!

Here's some comments for a broad research:

Quotedoes it have pharangyal teeth basibranchial teeth? It's all about the basibranchial teeth.
- WT

QuoteI would have swabbed its mouth for some DNA.
-RH

me -There's a season?

lipripper

These reports have been really nice. I hope you write some more.  :)

lr

rockroller

Bravo!  You make me homesick for the West.  Especially whilst I'm sitting at an office desk.   o-o

Great report!