News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

How I Spent My Morning

Started by Yallerhammer, July 18, 2020, 16:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Went out for awhile to one of my favorite creeks in the Smokies.

You cannot view this attachment.

The water was quite low and clear, but there were still fish to be had.

I caught a bunch of these:

Some of these:

And one of these:

I saw some cool stuff:

It came up a big thunderstorm, and I went home.

The end.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Oh yeah, that is one big ole boy.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on July 18, 2020, 16:32:03 PMOh yeah, that is one big ole boy.

Not huge, but a nice one. Somewhere in the mid-teens. He put up a good fight on a 3-weight. That big tail is like a Mercury outboard in fast water. The water was finally low enough that I could get a big stonefly nymph down into that deep, fast slot under that big rock that I've been trying to get to for a couple months. I knew there was something under there. I've hooked a few of those and one much bigger lately, but that's the only one I've gotten into the net. I lost a nice about 14" rainbow this morning too that jumped and threw the fly. I've caught and lost more solid 11"-12"+ Smokies rainbows this year than since back in the 90s. They just disappeared for awhile, but looks like they're coming back.

Dougfish

Pretty sweet morning.  V:;  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

itieuglyflies

greg

Outstanding. Nice fish. I spent my morning at emergency vet. You had a much better day. Glad for you.

Onslow

I don't understand the whole park scene. I've read stories of irate fisherman who made pilgrimages to Raven Fork, Enloe, only to find many others, get high holed, or whatever. There is so much damn water in this park, it seems to me, there should be enough small streams to keep a horde busy.

I'd like to see someone attempt to fish the Bunches Creek Gorge just above the reservation. That section looks so brutal.

YH, do you know of anyone who's tackled Ravens Fork gorges?

greg

I did a hike through the gorges with smoky mountain hiking club a few years ago. We started just inside reservation and got out at the old steel bridge. Took better part of day just to get through. One of guys leading the hike had fished it several times. Said they were always after dark getting out it is very rugged. I have been meaning to go back and fish but haven't yet. Seems like since park opened back up in may there have been more people fishing this year than last. Didn't mean to hijack YH thread.

streamereater_101691

Al

Good job - great pictures :bow  'c;  :bow  :bow  'c;

Phil

A mighty fine brown. Yessir, the water is low for that familiar stream indeed.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on July 19, 2020, 06:19:55 AMI don't understand the whole park scene. I've read stories of irate fisherman who made pilgrimages to Raven Fork, Enloe, only to find many others, get high holed, or whatever. There is so much damn water in this park, it seems to me, there should be enough small streams to keep a horde busy.

I'd like to see someone attempt to fish the Bunches Creek Gorge just above the reservation. That section looks so brutal.

I've done most of Bunches gorge. Once. It's rough as a cob. I don't know anybody personally that's fished the Raven gorge lately. I know it's been done, but, damn. I don't want a fish that bad.

And yep, there are plenty of places to get away from the crowds. There are a lot of folks fishing the Smokies, but a lot of them tend to fish the same places that get talked about a lot. And a lot of them don't start until almost time to quit, or quit just before time to start. And often can't fish to begin with. Seems to me like the TN side of the park is a whole lot more crowded than the NC side, but you can still find plenty of water over there.

hcrum87hc

Yup, that'll do.  That brown is a beauty.  I need to hit the park this fall.
Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 19, 2020, 15:13:07 PM
Quote from: Onslow on July 19, 2020, 06:19:55 AMI don't understand the whole park scene. I've read stories of irate fisherman who made pilgrimages to Raven Fork, Enloe, only to find many others, get high holed, or whatever. There is so much damn water in this park, it seems to me, there should be enough small streams to keep a horde busy.

I've done most of Bunches gorge. Once. It's rough as a cob. I don't know anybody personally that's fished the Raven gorge lately. I know it's been done, but, damn. I don't want a fish that bad.

And yep, there are plenty of places to get away from the crowds. There are a lot of folks fishing the Smokies, but a lot of them tend to fish the same places that get talked about a lot. And a lot of them don't start until almost time to quit, or quit just before time to start. And often can't fish to begin with. Seems to me like the TN side of the park is a whole lot more crowded than the NC side, but you can still find plenty of water over there.

I had a trip planned that tackled Raven Fork Gorge, but the Dude wussed out.  Granted what we were planning on doing was border line suicide mission.  Involved fishing up to top of Guyot Mountain (wanted to see how far up fish went) and then catching the AT down and bushwhacking down left fork of raven fork and camping and fishing along raven fork until we hike out to hyatt ridge trailhead.  I showed him the number of altitude gain and loss and he laughed and never talked to me again.

Big J

Looked up the numbers.  It was 20 miles, 5,315 ft of elevation gain, and 4,462 ft of elevation loss.  Anyone want to take the Dude's spot?