2 reels, 2 dogs and how I ended up on a family vacation that wasn't mine

Started by Jfey, August 21, 2015, 10:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

Way late on this report.  I've been busy and what ever.... This is from 3 weeks-ish ago

A strange thing happened this summer.  My wife  took the kids to go visit her family in WV and I didn't have to go which meant approx 8 days solo.  I tried to hide my excitement.   Most of the days would be consumed with work, but I would at least have a long weekend with pretty much no responsibility.  I wasn't 100% sure where I would end up and I really didn't care.  I had an offer to float the S Holston on Saturday and a place to stay that night which fit the only place I had to be.  So with that, I threw some stuff in the Explorer and headed out.

Its well documented that I  forget stuff wherever I go.   On a family trip a few weeks prior I realized that I left two reels on the front porch of the house we were staying when I was unpacking.  Its a friends house that they don't rent so unless someone was trying to break in, I was relatively sure they would still be there.   That said, I was relieved to find them right where I left them

Responsibility taken care of, I headed towards  E Tenn

Saw this on the way.  BRFFF militia must be  expanding

This sign makes me smile

So does this

I had the whole day to myself and I couldn't be happier.   I sketched out a plan to hit 3-4 streams that would hopefully lead to a slam.

First, had to make sure my troutbro selfie game was on point

Check

The butterflies were thirsty

Headed out to stream #1

What I found wasn't promising

No bueno, so I hiked into another with a similar result

Eff.   No brookies today.   Back to the car to replenish my beer supply and off to stream #3. Its hard to explain, the amount of relaxation I felt that day.  Not a care in world and no place to be is something I  haven't felt in some time.  I really didn't care about fishing.  I knew they were they and I would get a few, but it really was secondary to letting my mind wander.  With that in mind I sat streamside and let random positive thoughts run through my head.  It was wonderful.   About four years ago I gave up the cushy corporate life to start my own business.  As expected there have been lots of ups and downs but things are starting to turn the corner and I can finally see the light.  A day like this was just what I needed to re-charge and get ready to tackle the next couple of months which are going to be rough, but with good things on the horizon. So I did a lot of this:

and this

stopped to smell the flowers

Fine. I'll fish now.  Nothing exciting, but pretty steady small stream fishing

mostly rainbows, but did get this massive brown on a dry fly.

Re-charged, I headed over the mountain to the meet a buddy in Bluff City. I was in a fog of relaxation and even the stellar accommodations didn't phase me

What I didn't realize was that I was the fifth wheel on a family vacation. Wife, kids, dogs and all.   We are all good friends, so it mostly worked out.  I was pretty excited to spend  the weekend with two dogs and since it wasn't my family I wouldn't have to worry about the kids or wife not being happy :D

Low water fishing in the  morning was tough, but eventually figured it out.  Several rainbows like this one

and some small-ish browns

It was time  to float, so we got ready and waited for  the water to come.   At this point I was at zero fucks given stage.  I was looking forward to heading down the river with a couple of dogs and a good friend.  The dogs had no trouble getting comfortable

Fished a streamer most of the day because I wanted to

Did fish some drys also

Mostly did this though

The dogs had a similar plan

We did catch a few in the process

One bonus of being on a family vacation was dinner that night

I was planning on leaving Saturday night, but it was  late and  I didn't want to make the 4 hour drive.  This dog agreed with my plan

Next morning we drank coffee and played

Hooked a carp and then lost it in this feeder

Decided to fish a little longer before calling it a day

Last pic before the battery died. 

Drove home with a smile on my face the whole way.   d:b

Now I am back.  Wife and kids are home, school has started for the kids and the hectic-ness of life is creeping back in and pushing the relaxation out.  Good thing its only a fishing trip away to zero fucks given.

Yup, going fishing

bmadd

That's good stuff that makes me envious of that sort of relaxation.

sanjuanwormhatch

jealous.

i can identify with your zero fuck attitude.  It frequently gets in the way of fishing but when relaxation is basically the point....

Big J

Dougfish

'c;  Bravo!

Meh, they were modern reels. The Hardy, now?  V:;

And it's always good to sponge off others once in a while.

Jfey

Quote from: Dougfish on August 21, 2015, 11:22:36 AM
'c;  Bravo!

Meh, they were modern reels. The Hardy, now?  V:;

And it's always good to sponge off others once in a while.

Yea, the reels sat there for 3 weeks.  I would have been annoyed if they were gone, but not heartbroken like I would have been if I had lost this one:
Yup, going fishing

Yallerhammer

Good stuff. Amazing how much difference a couple days fishing can make.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

ruttness

Wouldn't Doug say you can't search for a slam on multiple drainages, guess that dosent apply to troutbros 

benben reincarnated

Quote from: ruttness on August 21, 2015, 13:35:42 PM
Wouldn't Doug say you can't search for a slam on multiple drainages

You can't.  I'll say it too. 

Jfey

Didn't know the rules.  Thanks for letting me know.   Guess I'm not much of a troutbro after all. :;!
Yup, going fishing

Beetle

"Its hard to explain, the amount of relaxation I felt that day.  Not a care in world and no place to be is something I  haven't felt in some time.  I really didn't care about fishing.  I knew they were they and I would get a few, but it really was secondary to letting my mind wander."

^This.    'c;

Did you watch that show "Alone"?  It was about the guys they dumped off on Vancouver Island to see who could last the longest.   The winner described the isolation as "total freedom".   Great report. 

NCsporksman

How'd you manage a vacation without kids and family? Good stuff all around