Hidden Valley Lake Pike

Started by thenextlevel, January 10, 2011, 09:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenextlevel

According to the state website, they stock Northern Pike in this lake.  Several citations have been caught there.  Has anyone ever fished/heard of anyone who fished there?  I would like to go up in the spring and fish when the pike come into the shallows to spawn.  But it's a 2.5 hour trek for me and I would prefer not to make the trip without some prelim info.   -0-

Friar Tuck

Assuming you mean HV Lake in Virginia, here's the most recent fish biologist's report:

http://tinyurl.com/2f4fudg

I'm hoping to take a kayak up there sometime this spring.

thenextlevel

Hmm that report says they don't spawn.  I wonder if they still get in the shallows in the spring?

Friar Tuck

Yes, they do go into the shallows in early spring, according to my source. I'm going to try to hit it this year after the ice is off the lake.

thenextlevel

Sweet!  In your opinion when is the best time to go to catch them in the shallows?  -0-

Friar Tuck

mid March if ice is off the lake and the road is passable.

thenextlevel

Thanks for the info.  Now off to tie something big with zonker strips!

p2daizo_24

I fish hv lake very often. I live less than 15 min. Away. The lake stayed frozen last year til late march early april. The fishing is very good up there. there is a very good population of bass the pike are a little bit harder to catch unless using live bait. it is a beautiful lake i would recomend the trip.

thenextlevel

Quote from: p2daizo_24 on February 17, 2011, 04:31:00 AM
I fish hv lake very often. I live less than 15 min. Away. The lake stayed frozen last year til late march early april. The fishing is very good up there. there is a very good population of bass the pike are a little bit harder to catch unless using live bait. it is a beautiful lake i would recomend the trip.

Have you ever fished the lake for Pike?  When they come shallow in the spring are they still difficult to catch?