News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Clacka or Hyde?

Started by Jfey, June 27, 2013, 15:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

A buddy of mine is going to purchase a drift boat, mainly to be used on tailwaters and The New River in WV.  He is trying to decide between a Hyde or a Clacka.  I know very little about such things so I wanted to see what you bote people think about either.  I will be one of the main beneficiaries of this purchase, so I also have a vested interest in him making a good decision. -0-

Price is not a factor, he is looking for which people consider to be better, which could also include neither.

Thanks!
Yup, going fishing

Woolly Bugger

Rod got me checking out the Lavro Drift boats, check out the first video on this page

http://lavroboats.com/media.html

I pretty sure that Rhody has a Lavro out in MT now.

I've ridden and or rowed all three, Claka, Hyde, and Lavro, but not owned any one of them and then there are the Boulder Boats! I've never turned down a ride in any of them!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tomato can

As a cataraft rower I am prejudiced towards inflatable boats.  They bounce of rocks better and do not require a boat ramp.  Here in VA the state has made a lot of ramps with bollards or fencing in front of the ramp.  Which sucks.  I was very very close to getting a DB but in the end I am glad I did not.  Because of the limited boat ramps that VA has.   I can always tie a rope to my cat and pull it out of the water and up a hill if I have too.   I have always heard that a DB is a cadillac and a raft/cat is a jeep. 

bullship

Montana boat builders dragonfly skiff, or any of them. You did say price wasn't an option. By the way, did you know that I can row and that we should be best friends?
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

bullship

Or not...they seem to be mia from google these days. I like RO's, or whatever. they're all a lot better than wading. Go SKEETER! fuck paddles. 150 hp is the only way to catch 12" trout.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.

Jfey

I think he is set on the drift boat.   I suggested a raft for the reasons TC mentioned, but he shot me down.  Either way, it's one more bote than I own. 

Bully we could be friends if you lived closer... Oh wait,  damn I suck.   
Yup, going fishing

bullship

Quote from: Jfey on June 27, 2013, 20:52:42 PM
I think he is set on the drift boat.   I suggested a raft for the reasons TC mentioned, but he shot me down.  Either way, it's one more bote than I own. 

Bully we could be friends if you lived closer... Oh wait,  damn I suck.

Nope, I am the sucker

tomato can

Well what ever he gets just remember if he plans on keeping it in the garage the wife will grow to hate the damn thing every time she sees it.  I gotta come up with some kind of rack/pulley system to get the frame out of the way and deflate the tubes.  So we can park the car in the garage.  that would make the one who must be obeyed happier.

Beetle

Had the same problem with the garage TC.  I lost

tomato can

I swear every time she sees "that raft" in the garage she hits the feedback loop of "He fishes too much". 

flatlander

Quote from: tomato can on June 29, 2013, 06:40:34 AM
I swear every time she sees "that raft" in the garage she hits the feedback loop of "He fishes too much".

My wife's view from the window above the kitchen sink:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/msrobertson3/image-4.jpg[/img]]

Stone-Man

Jeff
Have a look at a Hog Island.  Jason Reep has one and it is well laid out and tough

JT

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Flatlander on June 29, 2013, 07:39:30 AM
Quote from: tomato can on June 29, 2013, 06:40:34 AM

My wife's view from the window above the kitchen sink:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/msrobertson3/image-4.jpg[/img]]

I "hide" most of my fly fishing stuff, but Flats you are pretty screwed. The minute my shit is in her way is the minute I'm fucked.

DRIFTS

Hey Jfey, I got a boulder and loving it! I float a lot of shallow shit and it does well. It's good about sliding over rocks instead of gagging/sticking on them. Also, light as shit and I've dropped/drug her in and out of  some fucked up places. Any time ya'll want a test drive feel free to come and row me down the river  /'/
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave