News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

movin to the country

Started by bullship, October 18, 2010, 09:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullship

This is pretty off topic, but some of you guys will appreciate it...maybe. We're under contract for a piece of property in Madison county that I've basically only dreamed about until now. We moved away from the mountains about 7 years ago to come to Charlotte 'where all the jobs are'. Well....although it's been good for us, we don't have the jobs anymore and scramble to make a living as much as we did when we actually lived somewhere we wanted to be. So, we've wanted to get back and live somewhere much more rural, and with the very near approaching little one on the way, it's only accelerated that motivation.  Since we're broke(until we can sell our house), we've had to make concessions and bring in the old people with the money. We've never wanted our folks to spend their last years shitting their pants in some old folks home, and we damn sure weren't going to move them into our 1,400 square foot ghetto bungalow, so this is a good solution for everybody. We get a few years to figure out how to pay for it long term, and they get to have their asses wiped by someone they actually know. A win win....I guess?

Although we may be living in an airstream, or a teepee, or crammed into an 800 square foot house with my parents....whatever it is, I'm willing to sacrifice any current comforts for the short term so my kid can grow up with more natural world than the paved city park down the street where the pedophiles and crackheads hang out. The FB is about twenty minutes to the west on one of the curviest roads I've ever driven, and Big Laurel Creek is about 5 minutes in the opposite direction. Just to the north are about a million little blue lines that I'll be exploring for the rest of my life.

I have no idea how I'll make a living, but I'm sure it will be tough and I'll spend a lot of my time on the road, but knowing that I can come home and take a walk up to the ridge, or stop off on the way and catch a trout or two, or hear about how my little one brought a snake into the kitchen will make it all worth it. i also can't think of anything more valuable to leave my kids, although they may hate the isolation when they're teenagers....So, we're doing it. We're going to live in a county that has the same population as our neighborhood. We'll welcome visitors.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

dnakamoto

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

mecnc

John Prine Spanish Pipedream

Blow up your TV
Throw away your paper
Move to the country
Build you a home.

Go for it life's to short to have regrets.

WRector

You might just be on to something there!  Congrats on the potential change of pace!   'c;
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

Get Bent

Can't wait to see the place.. The Carp Skiff will look good in the barn, and I am sure we can plant some killer weed in that green house. Oh, lemme know when you are ready slay some deer!  :P

<-;:
Konichiwa Bitches!

diaz dassie

Hey Matt, glad things are coming together for your n your wife. When you guys are established n settled in, I will gladly bring several kegs of Schlitz, Bud Diesel and Miller "Low" life :o Just make sure you have a chunder bucket :P

Forrest6775

You'll never regret it. Congratulations.

I love John Prine

Oldman

Saturday morning I had 7 wild turkeys in the front yard. 2 of them where in the dogwoods already eating the seeds. Today I come home and there are 2 albinos and 4 normal hens in the garden eating the bugs off the turnip greens. Going to be a hard winter. God, I love the country.

croaker

Quote from: bullship on October 18, 2010, 09:13:39 AM
We've never wanted our folks to spend their last years shitting their pants in some old folks home, and we damn sure weren't going to move them into our 1,400 square foot ghetto bungalow, so this is a good solution for everybody. We get a few years to figure out how to pay for it long term, and they get to have their asses wiped by someone they actually know. A win win....I guess?

Taking care of family, old or young is what it's all about.   'c;

Quote from: bullship on October 18, 2010, 09:13:39 AM

That's a place to live worth working for
I wish the dirt road I live on had grass growing in the middle...   bd;0
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

possessed

Congrats, man.  You are doing what I hope to do in a few years.  I am happy for you and I am very envious.  Nothing is more beautiful than the mountains. 

rbphoto

We did something similar 10 yrs ago.  Unfortunately, it wasn't to the mtns  b';

I only regret it when I hear the wife bitch about the drive to town.

Pond in my front yard, stream behind it, 50+ acres of neighbors woods for the kids to explore, deer, turkey, and my own blueberry patch.

'Bout all a man could hope for . . .

except the mtns.

Wish you all the best!

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

kylemc

You will be about 20 mins from my house and the nolichucky.holler at me

Kyle

Get Bent

Hey Matt, I think you need to add this song! I fits your thread title " Movin to the Country"   d:b

Konichiwa Bitches!

bullship

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot