News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 09:15:03 AM

#24 -- 41 mild weather mid 50s to mid 60s

Looking at the USGS gauges over the weekend I thought that there was a pretty good chance that they would cut back on the dman dam release. I called the damn dam and got the "Goodby" message. Trying to plan my day I called the visitor center and asked if they knew anything, I was told, "No changes!" Well I went about my day only to realize around 11 o'clock that they in fact had cut the flow! Damn, Damn, gotta rush to get ready to go as Tues was out and Wed is iffy.

It was going to be a little windy and I was hoping for some dry fly action, so I picked a SAGE SP 9' 4wt out of the quiver. It was well into the afternoon when I geared up in an empty lot and hiked across the tick infested field. When I got to the Turtle Creek Run, I saw a lot of fish rising. I had a soft hackle rigged so I swung the fly. Eight, nine, ten grabs and no hook up. Finally I got one to hand. Fish were rising aggressively to sulfurs and caddis, so I tied on a #16 Snowshoe and targeted rising fish. I quickly caught a handful and missed an equal number before moving on down the river when the action slowed around 3:00.

Noting much was happening at the head of the Left-hand pool, so I continued on to the Trestle pool. The Bluebells have gone to seed and the mayapples are in bloom.

Fish were rising all throughout the run from the head to the tail and I easily caught a dozen or more. They were all on the small size, but it was a blast to target rising fish. I was really encouraged to see so many bugs on the water and flying about, not to mention rising trout! It's only going to get better as the days heat up and grow longer.

Local Trip Reports / Re: Reattempt 2024
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 07:40:44 AM

Y'all done good!
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Dead People; R.I...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 22, 2024, 22:32:31 PM
Peter Higgs, Nobel-winning physicist on a subatomic hunt, dies at 94
His theory, contingent on what became known as the Higgs boson, made the Standard Model of Particle Physics possible

Peter Higgs, a British physicist and Nobel Prize winner whose musings on the origins of mass launched a nearly five-decade, multibillion-dollar search for a subatomic particle — later known as the Higgs boson — that was said to hold the keys to understanding the nature of the universe, died April 8 at his home in Edinburgh, Scotland. He was 94.
The University of Edinburgh announced his death in a statement but did not cite a cause.
Dr. Higgs's ideas about the creation of mass in the universe, which he developed as a young theorist during the early 1960s, employed mathematical calculations to propose an explanation of nothing less audacious than why we all exist: how the atoms that make up stars, planets and people — everything in the universe — came to be

https://wapo.st/3W5MChz

Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - April 22, 2024, 16:57:49 PM
Many thanks for the report.  It was a memorable trip for sure.

Also, very nice photos, kudos!  I particularly enjoyed the shot of Fin holding the poke of kindling.  It appears he's developed the start of a manly paunch.  Here's hoping he will mature into my silhouette.

Peace.
Last post by Phil - April 22, 2024, 14:27:09 PM
Dang, you guys did the work and caught sublime fish in a most fine looking place. Excellent!
Last post by Onslow - April 22, 2024, 12:41:21 PM
Awesome trip!

Flagellation followed by flatulence.

Glad you all made out in one piece.  Looks mighty rough.

I wish the cascades of Bullhead creek near my house had some water flat enough to fish.
Last post by greg - April 22, 2024, 11:01:19 AM
Damn pretty fish.
Last post by Dougfish - April 22, 2024, 10:25:25 AM

#4,5 & 6

5 streams in 3 days.
Started here.

You cannot view this attachment.

The second stream was sneak preview of the target.
Little to no trail. And it also falls right off the mountain.
With lots of obstacles.

But the one we camped on was the target.
We wound the rest of the way back on 4 miles of bouncy FS roads to find a logging crew set up at the parking area.
It appeared they have been paused for a while. Lumber prices are down and that might explain it.

Greedy bastards in one small pool.

I was bushwacking around a fall.
J's in there working the pool.

Neil is going up and around. Center left.

Opps.

Signs that we weren't the only idiots to have been there.

Huge Trillium erectum.

I've fished some rough stuff.
That MFer takes the cake.
I cramped up in the middle of the night after day one.
And I cramped up twice after hiking down to the bottom of the target.
But not since then. A miracle.

Some shots Fin contributed:

Hike out and hike stream 5 on Sunday.
Colder morning. No dew! Pack up dry stuff. How novel.
Coldest stream too. Knee deep for only a few minutes at a time.

Pack was too heavy.
Meh. Whats new?
And I feel pretty good today.

:Dance

Neil wants to do it again when I hit 70.
We'll see....

:cheers

Last post by troutboy_II - April 22, 2024, 09:29:38 AM
/"\ Impressive to say the least. Not sure which was prettier, the creak, the fish, or the plants/flowers!  Great trip report. Thanks for sharing it with us.

TB
Local Trip Reports / Reattempt 2024
Last post by Big J - April 22, 2024, 09:20:45 AM
Doug and I scouted this stream about 5 years ago.  Plan was always to revisit it and make it all the way down through the gorge before fishing back up.  We attempted this trip in 2023.  A weekend of torrential downpour aligning with our tight window for this trip derailed plans and we were never able to re-coordinate it in 2023.  I didn't really have high hopes for making this trip happen this year, but last minute we got out ducks in a row between tax season, Doug moving, my family being in constant state of sickness this spring.  Neil joined us literally the week we were planning on leaving.  Weather forecast looked good.  Trip on.

We fished a couple streams close by our hike in point.  We all caught fish.  Just noted how cold the water temps still are and how slow the fish were to bite.  Got a little nervous on if we called this trip a couple weeks too early.  Did run into a bear.  Hiked down a trib and hoped in stream.  About 25 yards stream I hear a commotion just to catch a glimpse of a black blob running opposite direction thru brush.

Fog rolled in at some point.

Then burned off.

Baby woodcock if you look closely

Then fog came back as we drove to the stream we were hiking into.  Neil was happy about the bag of kindling Doug was having him hike in.

Set up camp and Doug got started with some chicken alfredo

Next morning we woke up, coffee and breakfast, then made our way 2 miles downstream with about 1,300 ft elevation loss.  Most of the loss is in a 1 mile stretch that is some of the roughest waters I've fished.

Never have seen this much trillium in my life though.

This was more common occurrence with Neil's felt boots  :laugh:

You can get a glimpse of Doug over on right side inbetween trees.

Going uphill around falls in gorge was slow going.

You can barely see Neil on left hand of stream up towards last falls.

Coffee break

Back at camp after a long day, we got busy getting firewood for the night.  Axe came in handy.  Took down a 25' dead locust for our wood for the night.  Almost fell it on an oblivious Doug and Neil who looked like the a couple of stooges scrambling into each other as they tried running away.

I made some tacos from some Peak Refuel Sweet Pork and Rice freeze dried meals.  Wasn't bad for freeze dried.

Locust sure beat the birch and beech we were burning.

Sunday we packed up camp, hiked out and hit a stream on drive back.  Caught a couple.  Nothing really note worthy.  Neil didn't even rig up a rod and just looked at plants and watched a bunch of eastern towhee fluttering in woods.

Good trip and good to get the three of us together again.  Been too long.  I think in a couple weeks that stream will have some bigger fish more active as water temps rise and hatches start up.  I was happy with the numbers caught, scenery, and I know Doug and Neil were happy with the plant life.