News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Quote from: Onslow on January 23, 2020, 05:38:09 AMBTW, did you know there were at least 300 commercial varieties of red delicious apples?  I've memorized them all.......

This has got to be one of the better statements made on BRFFF in a long time.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

hcrum87hc

Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 23, 2020, 10:50:48 AMhttps://thefederalist.com/2020/01/22/what-i-saw-at-the-richmond-second-amendment-rally/

Here is an opinion piece from someone a few of us on here know.

"Of note, because I do not suspect this will be reported: A strong number of the folks carrying ARs also had medical or first aid kits on their persons. These were not individuals anticipating offensive action; these individuals were prepared to help."

Sorry Big J, but this analysis seems odd to me.  Please explain.

I don't know Todd from Roanoke, but is this opinion transcript from the retired Presbyterian minister another nugget of religious hypocrisy? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/12/28/im-evangelical-you-cant-be-pro-life-and-pro-gun/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 24, 2020, 07:58:45 AMI don't know Todd from Roanoke, but is this opinion transcript from the retired Presbyterian minister another nugget of religious hypocrisy? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/12/28/im-evangelical-you-cant-be-pro-life-and-pro-gun/

You can find numerous opinions from various pastors stating differing views on guns and what the Bible says about self defense and killing vs murder.  In my opinion, it is an act of love to stop a fatal threat if it is to save innocent lives.  The intent and desire in the case of self defense or defense of others is not to kill someone, but to stop them from killing further. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/12/30/an-implausible-argument-that-evangelicals-must-oppose-self-defense/
Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 24, 2020, 07:58:45 AM
Quote from: Big J on January 23, 2020, 10:50:48 AMhttps://thefederalist.com/2020/01/22/what-i-saw-at-the-richmond-second-amendment-rally/

"Of note, because I do not suspect this will be reported: A strong number of the folks carrying ARs also had medical or first aid kits on their persons. These were not individuals anticipating offensive action; these individuals were prepared to help."

I don't know Todd from Roanoke, but is this opinion transcript from the retired Presbyterian minister another nugget of religious hypocrisy? 

I had a tourniquet on me Monday.  I also carry one in each of the first aid kits in our cars.  I have first aid training like a lot of people that take self defense seriously (even though I need a refresher course). I'm confused at what seems odd to you?  First aid performed quickly is one of the biggest things that can save a life in an emergency situation.  With the exception of a tourniquet, first aid is intended to be performed on another individual.  A lot of individuals believe that if you are carrying a firearm, you ought to take another step and be prepared for aftermath of an encounter.  While I do not normally carry a tourniquet daily, Monday I felt appropriate to with the elevated risk drummed up by the governor as a precaution even if I didn't think anything was going to happen.  I had a great college professor who taught the first aid class and she really emphasized the importance of at least having a tourniquet in each of your vehicles as that is the situation where trauma is most likely to occur.  I have been on top of my wife lately about taking a first aid class with me as we have a 2 yo and 4 yo who have had a couple close calls.  2 pool incidents and one choking incident.  The choking incident did require the Heimlich.  Luckily I was home and remembered the maneuver from 5 years prior for a toddler.  I fail to understand why someone cannot have a firearm for self defense and be prepared to help others medically.  Both to me are the same.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 24, 2020, 09:20:25 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 24, 2020, 07:58:45 AM

I had a tourniquet on me Monday.  I also carry one in each of the first aid kits in our cars.  I have first aid training like a lot of people that take self defense seriously (even though I need a refresher course). I'm confused at what seems odd to you?  First aid performed quickly is one of the biggest things that can save a life in an emergency situation.  With the exception of a tourniquet, first aid is intended to be performed on another individual.  A lot of individuals believe that if you are carrying a firearm, you ought to take another step and be prepared for aftermath of an encounter.  While I do not normally carry a tourniquet daily, Monday I felt appropriate to with the elevated risk drummed up by the governor as a precaution even if I didn't think anything was going to happen.  I had a great college professor who taught the first aid class and she really emphasized the importance of at least having a tourniquet in each of your vehicles as that is the situation where trauma is most likely to occur.  I have been on top of my wife lately about taking a first aid class with me as we have a 2 yo and 4 yo who have had a couple close calls.  2 pool incidents and one choking incident.  The choking incident did require the Heimlich.  Luckily I was home and remembered the maneuver from 5 years prior for a toddler.  I fail to understand why someone cannot have a firearm for self defense and be prepared to help others medically.  Both to me are the same.

Thanks.  It must be me and my skeptical, convoluted, twisted view of all things human.  The dichotomy, to me, is paradoxically confusing in this particular Virginia venue; toting an AR designed for taking life, maiming, protection from other two-legged critters, or even making a political statement while also carrying medical kits to help or save life seems peculiar, unless you're in a deliberate military-type conflict.

I've pissed away enough brain fitness trying to make sense of the mentality on both sides of this issue.  As I've said before, I would not have made a good soldier.

Peace.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

Went and practiced with my Colt LW Commander again today -- first 7 rounds at 20 yards. One flyer, but decent.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Big J

Quote from: Phil on February 12, 2020, 19:51:39 PMWent and practiced with my Colt LW Commander again today -- first 7 rounds at 20 yards. One flyer, but decent.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Did you like shooting it?  Something about 1911's are just fun to shoot at the range.  Hard to beat a crisp SA 1911 trigger.

Phil

Quoteauthor=Big J

Did you like shooting it?  Something about 1911's are just fun to shoot at the range.  Hard to beat a crisp SA 1911 trigger.

I have about 350 rounds through it so far. I really like it. Accurate, great trigger for sure. Putting it back together after cleaning is a pain, but I'll get used to it. Sure makes my other pistols seem easier to clean/reassemble! heheh. I'm carrying it IWB a lot now instead of my Shield 9.

Big J

Thought I'd mention here that with the current ammo panic buying going on right now with 5.56, .223, and 9mm, that if you want .22 for plinking or hunting buy you some now.  Everything I've been hearing from the gun talks and industry is all the ammo manufacturers are tooling up for the major calibers that have great demand right  now and better profit margins.  Prices are going up with demand for 5.56, .223, and 9mm. The profit margins in .22 lr just aren't great to begin with and it is definitely not profitable in short runs of .22lr so they are switching everything over to other calibers.  I'm expecting .22lr supplies to dry up like they did in 2012.  If you need it, get it now while you can.  With it being an election year, I expect the long term hiatus on .22lr to be a long term event.  I'm all set with all my calibers and I'm just not going to be shooting much (which local range just closed down anyways).  Just a heads up.

RiverbumCO

Big J, have you ever bought one of the "black boxes" from federal with, I think, 1000 rounds?
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Big J

Quote from: RiverbumCO on March 24, 2020, 18:58:23 PMBig J, have you ever bought one of the "black boxes" from federal with, I think, 1000 rounds?

Federal Black Pack is good to go. Bought a pack of 500 9mm back when they were running rebates on them. Say it's on par with Winchester white box. Good for plinking. Sure the .22 would be the same.