The Shad are on the Rapp

Started by Trout Chaser, April 03, 2010, 14:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Chaser

Firestick and I got another free pass this morning so we headed down to Fredericksburg for our first attempt at the shad this year. There was a definite chill in the air and the Rapp was still up and off color but we waded cautiously on the soft bottom and swift current.  The bite was definitely off.  Lot's of fisherman both spin and fly were spread out over the flats but not many doing much catching.  After about an hour with no bites we switched spots and finally hooked up with one.  The first one of the year became an LDR about 10 feet from the hand.  A little while later the first shad of 2010 came to hand.  Finished off with one more before calling it a day.  Three bites in about 3 hours and 2 to hand.  As the water drops the fishing, I mean catching should get better.

1st 2010 shad
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Firestick with #2
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

TC

Woolly Bugger

good one! that's some deep wading for your son...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

very nice..one of these days I will have to give shad a try..

croaker

Quote from: blue ridge angler on April 03, 2010, 17:50:09 PM
very nice..one of these days I will have to give shad a try..

Be very, very careful...  Them Shad can be addictive  0--0

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

OldDominionAngler

Glad to hear it TC, shad fishing on the Rapp was the birth of my fly fishing career.    I'm hoping to search up a few on the Potomac toward the end of the week...

Fishing sink tips?

Trout Chaser

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 03, 2010, 17:02:42 PMthat's some deep wading for your son...

The first spot the current was too strong for him.  This spot we had a break from an Island.  The biggest challenge so far this year is the extremely soft bottom.  Anytime down here on the bigger water he's in a life jacket.

TC

Trout Chaser

diaz dassie

Thats a good fish man! Awesome job. Since it's 80F I might check out some cricks towards Greenville or even sneak up to Weldon to fish the Roanoke ;hb