News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, Fennario, JCB3, slats, Friar Tuck, Onslow, troutboy_II, itieuglyflies, canii, skimmer718 and 150 Guests are viewing this topic.

consumnfire1229

Quote from: Phil on October 21, 2012, 15:36:02 PM
Mr. Ben 5X -- Maybe you could take a hint from Keith's pics of trout, the way he handles 'em, and stop doing the complete Death Squeeze on every fish you catch at the Smith. Jist sayin,  dude.....

Phil - Are you serious?  My goodness...

Ben - Keep posting the pics man. 

Keith - Nice pics!  I would've met up with you this afternoon on the Smith, but I wanted to try out some waters I haven't seen in a few months. 

'c;
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

5xTippett

Phil, my fish are out of the water 5 or 10 seconds tops.  I have cleared my fish handling with the biologist.  I frankly don't give a rat's rear end  whether you or anybody else likes it or not.  Go catch a fish and show us how it's done.  Better yet go catch one on the Smith and post a picture.

22midge

5X I was fishing below you last week and saw 58 dead fish floating by................maybe when you learn to catch a few you can learn how to handle them..........then teach me how its done. bd;0 bd;0 bd;0
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Woolly Bugger

I wanted to go to the SoHo on Sunday, but it just wasn't going to happen.
So I took Sally up to the Smith in the afternoon, I even tied up a half dozen
special flies. I think the dog may have enjoyed the trip more than I did, what a difference
a day can make. I got some fish to rise but missed most of  'em. The bug weren't as
prolific as there were on Saturday. Maybe my new ties weren't the ticket, but I threw
a lot of other flies as well, go figure. Glad I brought along some PBR!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Cut and paste from another forum?  ;D

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 22, 2012, 09:46:50 AM

I wanted to go to the SoHo on Sunday, but it just wasn't going to happen.
So I took Sally up to the Smith in the afternoon, I even tied up a half dozen
special flies. I think the dog may have enjoyed the trip more than I did, what a difference
a day can make. I got some fish to rise but missed most of  'em. The bug weren't as
prolific as there were on Saturday. Maybe my new ties weren't the ticket, but I threw
a lot of other flies as well, go figure. Glad I brought along some PBR!

Woolly Bugger

my bay bad, I left out the month in the url and then got distracted.... ran some errands and then saw that I hadn't fixed it,,
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Transylwader

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 22, 2012, 11:49:19 AM
my bay, I left out the month in the url and then got distracted.... ran some errends and then saw that I hadn't fixed it,,
Bollocks, I need to call the dude at Krankies and tell em you can only be served half pints and after 3PM daily.
BTW, this is the second time I have opened this thread. I have seen a vast improvement in 5X's trout handling skills. Bravo mate, asshats like me can no longer shun you :o

Dougfish

Quote from: Phil on October 21, 2012, 15:36:02 PM
Mr. Ben 5X -- Maybe you could take a hint from Keith's pics of trout, the way he handles 'em, and stop doing the complete Death Squeeze on every fish you catch at the Smith. Jist sayin,  dude.....

n!n  Just in time for the return of the endless smites.

<<<<
Note my death grip.

Woolly Bugger

11/10/1975

nothing much going on lately, took the god out for a spell, caught some fish
drank some beer..

here's some more from Friday...

/'/ -0-

me -There's a season?

consumnfire1229

Glad to see you work some magic on the Smith.  Depending on how things go tomorrow I may find my way there in the afternoon.  Did you see any BWOs?
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Woolly Bugger

Tiny BWOs size extremely small
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

WTF with the river levels? 

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv?site_no=02072000

I know divers were inspecting the dam, but that was supposed to finish up last week.

OldDominionAngler

Ah, Great Lakes.  The Oktoberfest is most excellent and the Porter is even better.   Looks like a good day to me.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

The Smith started off yesterday kicking my butt.  Rafts of tiny olive duns were covering the water, browns feeding BUT not on the duns.  After ~ 1.5 hours, finally things got dialed in and trout started taking a few duns.  Day ended well.  It was one of the best hatches of the tiny critters that I have seen in some time.  The Smith is an ideal water to polish the skills.

I saw a lot of beaver activity in the small seep/standing water that is next to the tracks, immediately below the mirror plant.  They may make that their home-base for a while.

Happy turkey day!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

Muddie,
When rafts of tiny olive duns are on the water, your best bet is to start chucking rapalas.   Jis sayin

Glad you had a decent trip and hope you have a great Thanksgiving.  Call me next time!

'c;