SoHo Sunday -- June 29, 2009

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 29, 2009, 23:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Trouble on the SoHo,

My last post showed that trash is found at most of the pull-offs along the Big Springs Road. I almost always pick up some of the litter on any given fishing trip. Hell I started our TU chapter's Stream Clean outing. It ain't hard, just do it....

Well as you might expect, landowners can get tired of this quickly and it appears to have resulted in seveal parking spots along the road. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Dlack's tresspass challanges on "navigable" waters. Squeak has posted a preliminary report which states some of the facts, but answers few questions about the legality of preventing fishermen from wading in the river.

Squeak promises more info on the situation. Until then, respect others property, don't litter

On to the report.

Late start, left home @ 8, hit the water around 10:30, no problem, waiting for sulfurs to hatch at 2:30. water will be coming @ 7 or so... plenty of time..

Hit a favorite spot on, but had to park up a ways due to closures, not a big problem, but I could cause a problem on busy days.

So I pulled out the rod and reel only to discover that I had packed the CFO II with a 4 wt line. I've been told that the limestone HDG 6 would cast a five weight, so I was thinking that it might not toss the lighter line. I started retying the tippet and discovered that my Orvis ceramic nippers had fallen apart, the second pair to do so, I bit the tippet off with my teeth, but found a quarter to half inch tag end despite my best efforts.  Not sure if it affected the bite, but mentally it had a negative effect.

Had the river to myself, second cast, hooked a bow, it jumped and then worked the current, the boo flexed and the reel screamed....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I had tied on a #18 PT and a#20 BWO dropper -- the fish were interested in the BWO pattern... I worked a riffle with some shot and managed to take quite a few bows off the bottom. It appeared that they were in front of rocks on the bottom. The water was at least 2 feed deep here and flowing strongly. I would see the fish flash on the nymph and was able to set the hook more times than not. On sever occasions the fish took off and jumped way across the stream leaving that odd visual of the fly line being pointed downstream and the fish jumping in another direction, a total disconnect, well al least for a moment until I could get the fish on the reel.

The day was cool for the end of June and an occasional gust of wind brought a refreshing chill from the cold water. A few sulfurs were popping off and I saw the occasional rise. I stuck with the nymphs for the time being, hoping for a full blown hatch.

I caught plenty of bows, several on back to back cast, but the brows eluded me for quite some time. Then I hooked into a bruiser who dogged in the fast water and made  the CFO sing.  Despite the current and 6x tippet the fish came to net in short order, I removed the fly and reached for the camer to record this 16 inch beauty, I picked the fish up out of the net and took the shot....

Damn....

Back to catching bows...

Well the hatch never got into full gear and even though I picked off a few on a CDC comparator it wasn't  exactly a feeding frenzy, and the fish weren't rising with any regularity. So I moved on up into the flat water where I hooked up with a number of active feeders. Sure I missed a few too, but that's part of the game. In the slow water, pods of fish were rising about 60 feet away, I tried to move a little closer, but as I did so, the unseen fish closer to me sent out the alert and put the risers down. I did manages a couple of spectacular hook ups on long cast to distant risers.

Well the heat of the day beat me down and by 4 it was time for a beer, so I sat on the log and had a Belgian Wit homebrew. It hit the spot!

After that I headed downsteam to find a favorite spot vacant and worked the runs, pools and riffles. I only hooked one fish, but it pulled free before it had ripped 10 yards of line off the reel. I continued to pound the water, knowing that the flood from the dam would arrive shortly. In the final minutes I managed to net a couple of rainbows as the water began to rise.

I drove out along the river road and found where to stop for bait next time

The water came up at 6:30 which was 30 minutes before I had expected it, so I drove on into town for dinner.

BEER, BBQ & BOWS!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benflyfishn

Great report WB.  0--0 I can't wait to get up there, and have a try at those fish. Oh yeah, total suckage!
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Rhody

nice day

thanks for the black diamond info last week, will try it tomorrow

wheres cooties?

i would say you suck, but after i post last a report from last weeks new river smalliethon, you might return the favor

tommyknockers, good stuff

rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Trout Chaser

As always a great report!!  I sure need to wet a line soon o-o

TC

kylemc

I have never had bbq at Cooties. Was it good?

rjs123

Great report and as always love your photos!

WoodrowCall

Great report, I wish I had the same skill on this river!