Olympus Stylus 7##SW 7.1MP
4 (36.4%)
Olympus Stylus 1030SW 10.1MP
2 (18.2%)
Other Brand
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Woolly Bugger

I've been looking for a new camera ever since my last one (Nikon 5000) took a dunking on Harper Creek last year. I've been borrowing my son's Cannon but that's not been working out. I can't find it when I need it or he's taken the batteries out to use with the Xbox!  o-o I've also been worried about rain, dropping it or otherwise getting it wet.

I was over at Walt's the other day and he's got an Olympus, pretty slick looking camera! Only major drawback is the "new" memory card style, "xd" which I don't have an adapter for and camera to computer transfers are usually slow....

I've heard that TP's Panasconic is very water resistant... ;D
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

dunked three times and still tick'in....I think it's a timex :o
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

glassfisher

The Olympus 770 is a good comera and super tough (waterproof, crushproof, drop proof up to 3-4 feet).  Kinda like a casio G-shock watch if you member those.  The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have good macro capbility.  I don't mind the memory card, I just use the attached cable to download pics and they transfer pretty fast too.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

walt

as you've seen wb, i have the olympus stylus 790sw

i purchased it for two reasons.... both of which merge into "wallyproof."

i'm slowly learning the features and it seems to work very well for normal shots.... but i can't seem to fugger out the macro....

i download the pics from the camera to the 'puter and resize.

yesterday i took four or five shots.... all scenic.... i could have taken many pics of caught stockers, but just didn't feel like doing so.

ww
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

troutfreak

Woolly,
I too am looking for a waterproof camera.  I found one on Amazon.com, not a good brand but had excellent reviews the Vivatar.  Problem I am having is when looking for a waterproof camera it pulls up alot on underwater cameras and I am not sure how that will affect the above water pic.  Let me know what you decide.
Thanks,
TF

Peddler

Quote from: walt on April 04, 2008, 07:11:24 AM
as you've seen wb, i have the olympus stylus 790sw
but i can't seem to fugger out the macro....
i download the pics from the camera to the 'puter and resize.
ww

Walt, that's a big reason some people prefer the Pentax, macro capability!
I have an old WR Pentax and bought the bride a Oly 790 for Christmas. I've played with the Oly macro and can't figure the macro out either. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Pentax.
Anyhow, having both I still reach for the Pentax.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Woolly Bugger

this is what the distructions say
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Well it looks like the Pentax may win out on the macro mode.

Pentax Macro 1cm

Olympus 770 Macro 7cm

Olympus 1030 Macro 2cm

So I can see how the Pentax will really allow for extreme close-up work and 790 might not come close (no pun intended) to matching the Optio's performance, however the newer model Olympus has a dramatic improvement in the close-up arena.

This is one thing that I've had trouble with on my son's Cannon, the macro was difficult to use and doesn't focus all that close. Great for fish but not so good on the bugs or flies.
me -There's a season?

troutphisher

That beats the Panasonic too.
The macro focus minimum distance the Panasonic DMC is 5cm., and it's not water proof. But it must have some protection, maybe a conformal coated PWB.

I have dunked this camera three times, and it let it dry out for a couple of days.
Still going strong.

The macro function is very easy to use and it has a very good OIS (optical image  stabilizer.) With the quick response  focus, I don't have to adjust the focus.

It point at shoot option is very fast.

But I might purchase the Pentax as my next camera for the water proof feature.
It it might save on dry out time... 0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

glassfisher

One thing the Olympus does have going for it is it's drop and shock resistant.  I can't say that I've really tested that too much, but it's good to know you don't have to worry about it.  I got the "silicon skin" for it so I don't need a case either.

If you look on ebay you can find em cheap (refurbished).  I got a refurb and it's worked well.  This one's $245 with shippng and 1MB card.  I think I paid $280 6 months ago without card and skin.
OLYMPUS Stylus 770 SW DIGITAL CAMERA +( 1GB XD~4 BONUS)
WATER+SHOCK+CRUSH+FREEZE PROOF~EXTRA BATERY+CASE+TRIPOD Item number: 200212881281
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

gardenboy

Wooly,

What did you finally decide? I looked at the Pentax and olympus side by side today in a camera shop. I was really impressed with the pentax picture quality and the macro was head and shoulders better. I have not looked at the more expensive olympus. I think I am going to buy the pentax. My local camera store will not match online pricing. The are selling it for $299 and Amazon has it for $232. I guess I have to decide if I want to buy local or over the internet.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: gardenboy on April 06, 2008, 17:24:21 PM
Wooly,

What did you finally decide? I looked at the Pentax and olympus side by side today in a camera shop. I was really impressed with the pentax picture quality and the macro was head and shoulders better. I have not looked at the more expensive olympus. I think I am going to buy the pentax. My local camera store will not match online pricing. The are selling it for $299 and Amazon has it for $232. I guess I have to decide if I want to buy local or over the internet.

No decision yet... I'm leaning towards the Pentax but would like to put the new Olympus to the test first...
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Went into the local best buy and took a look at the 1030 SW and the macro on it works great! quick and close-up, am looking for the best deal on it but I think I'm going to go with it. I've read a lot about problems with the Pentax and it's waterproof problems.

me -There's a season?

streamer

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on macro functions. Take a shot in standard focus mode at a reasonable distance. When you upload the photos to your computer, use a program like Picasa, etc., then crop the photo to get the close-up you want. Then you can export it to your hosting site, like Photobucket. Try it, you'll like it.

Streamer
Remember...We all live downstream.

troutphisher

I just ordered the Pentax Optio W30.
I found a package deal on the Internet. It consists of the camera, tripod, case, Simms stick, cleaning kit and 1GB mem card.

I'll check it out and see if the camera is what they claim it is.
The Macro function peaked my curiosity as well as the water proof features.