Rock Hopping with Six Legs

Started by OldDominionAngler, October 03, 2010, 23:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDominionAngler

I marked off this Saturday to head to the hills with the pup. Chip usually knows what's up by the time I've started loading gear. 
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This trickle in GW nat'l forest is not known for hearty specimens, but it holds a ton of fish. 

The boy was ready to rock by the time we parked.

Water levels looked pretty good, but hopefully we'll see a lot more rain over the next couple weeks.

The real battle was keeping beast from spooking all the fish.  When that happened, these little guys were eating whatever they saw.

I take him out maybe twice a year on a small stream like this, but the energetic little bastard can test your patience when it comes to fishing.  That said, he's in absolute heaven out there...hopping on every boulder and dead tree he can find.

He's not being impaled by a branch here.

This last pool of the day was loaded with fish.  I picked up quite a few after about six hours of fishing, but none were bigger than 8".

No brews to round out the trip, but I did have some local cider waiting in the cooler.

We made a quick stop on Skyline to catch the sun before it set, but missed it by a few minutes.

Ol' red dropped like a bag of bricks and slept hard on the ride back.  Whenever this happens, it's a reason to celebrate.  Thanks to TWader for inspiring the trip.

Al

Report with a twist - I like it. Kinda brings us back to our roots and shows what having a good outing is all about. 'c; 'c; 'c;

Woolly Bugger

Nice report ODA, you and your pal had a great time
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutboy_II

Great story and pictures - particularly the last one!  :D
Always nice to have other family members along.

Thanks for sharing.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Trout Chaser

Great Report!!  Nice to see some water finally flowing in our streams up here.  'c; 

TC

blue ridge angler

looks like your buddy had a blast..
good stuff for sure.. 0:0

diaz dassie

Heck yeah Chris,
I had good fun with my beast  a few weeks back, nice to get out onto a brookie creek with hound in tow! Awesome pix and report. Water cooled down alot up there? I may have to hit a creek in SNP before the end of this month otherwise I may just end up in the asylum in Butner... :o

HuckA1A

ncguy

That report has it all, brookies, scenery, dirt roads, possessed dog, impaled dog, tired dog. Top shelf.

Get Bent

Konichiwa Bitches!

dnakamoto

flatlander

True happiness is a worn out dog. Well done Chris 'c;

jwhop3

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

jwgnc

Nothing beats a day fishing with your best friend
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.