News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Tye River- May 24, 2009

Started by Beetle, May 26, 2009, 09:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle

We spent Memorial Day weekend in Virginia at the outlaws.  Luckily we finished our cabin on the property so we don't have to stay in the house anymore.  The weather was really nice but we did get some rain on Sunday.  It was a nice respite and getaway.  I managed to get strep throat two weeks ago and it worsened into Scarlet Fever.  The last week has been holy hell dealing with the rash and itching but it is finally starting to run its course and should be over soon. 

So rather than sit in church on Sunday and scratch- my wife suggested that I get out and do some fishing.  I have a lot of choices up there- the James, Piney and Rockfish rivers are all within a few miles of us.  With all the rain and high river levels, I chose to hit one of my favorite stretches of the Tye River off 56 just west of US 29 because it would be easier to wade.  I am lucky to have access to a lot of private water that doesn't get fished much- from Tyro and Massies Mill all the way down to Norwood where the Tye connects with the James.  But this stretch is always fun and I have never seen another person let alone fisherman while I am there.  All along the way I saw people getting the first cut of hay baled and ready.  When I reached my destination, however, the field was really high making for some spectacular scenery.

I left the truck about a ½ mile away and started through the field to my favorite position- a bend in the river that holds some fish.   

There are lots of pools, tailouts and riffles through this stretch and I have often seen some mammoth smallies holding court in their own personal swimming pools.  The water was slightly stained and high.  The weather was overcast and visibility was not the greatest so sight fishing was kept to a minimum.  Of course, I about stepped on a water snake first thing....

The Tye is generally a smallmouth stream with some trout fishing further upstream towards Massies Mill, Tyro and Montebello.   The state stocks the upper stretches and it tends to get pounded as access from the road is easy.  I was fishing a lower section of the river targeting smallmouths and the always fun to catch redhorse.  I had my 5 wt, WF line, short bass leader and a box of streamers to work over the deeper runs. 

Given the choice- I will almost always choose to fish streamers.  So I started with a chartreuse and white clouser and brought in a few dinks. 

As I worked my way around the deep pools and into the faster water, I switched to my favorite smallmouth fly- an orange and olive clouser that imitates a pumpkinseed.  I immediately hooked up with a small redhorse (probably a silver) that was chased all the way to my feet by a even smaller smallmouth that was trying to eat it.  I am continually amazed at this phenomenom- the same sized fish or smaller trying to swallow something the same size or bigger!  I caught a few smallies- nothing great and proceeded to wade deeper to access the far bank.  A cast across and stripping cross current was the ticket.  Out of nowhere something grabbed my clouser- something very familiar but out of place.  A roll and a flash brought a smile of disbelief.   A nice stocker rainbow.

Having no net and standing in somewhat precarious water- I backed off and headed for the bank.  In honor of everyone on BRFFF -I then proceeded to sling him on the bank for the proverbial "trout shot".  He was bleeding slightly from the gigantic clouser hook in his jaws but after a few seconds in the water he was fine and took off back to the protection of the rocks.

I always figured that some of the stockers washed downstream but have never caught one- much less on a honker of a clouser. 
I worked my way back downstream to some favorite runs and riffles. 

A few redhorse and dink smallies came to hand but nothing spectacular.  The smallies I did find were holding hard to rocks and not cruising at all.  I had hoped that the overcast day might bring them out to hunt but no such luck.  A hour or two more fishing didn't bring much to show.  This was perhaps the average for the day:

So I headed back to the truck and enjoyed watching the swallows and red-winged blackbirds work over the insects.

It was a slow fishing day but the outing did wonders for my psyche and took my mind off the constant misery and itching from the scarlet fever rash.   I am thankful that my wife recognized my need to get out and have "church" at my place of worship.   This final shot might give you some insight as to her way of thinking.   I'm a pretty lucky guy.

mcanders

Beautiful country out there, nothing like being alone in the outdoors doing some thinking and fishing to yourself!

And watch out for the snakes, they'll get ya. 0--0

WRector

Nice going Beetle!  Sorry to hear about your bout with the various bugs.  Dealt with a pretty bad cold all weekend myself  :-[

Your idea of church falls right in line with mine!   0--0
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

benflyfishn

Sweet report and pics.  0--0

I was at Smith Mt. Lake, and wish I had some time to myself to fish, damn boats waking every fish down, and clouding up the coves... o-o

That is my kind of church.......
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

tbird4

Way to get out and after em.  Glad to hear your starting to get better. 0--0

Boykin

Nice report but that field looks like Tick City! How many did you pull off?

mcanders

Ticks.....I'd be more worried about chiggers.....ouch!

anothertroutbum

Tye and Rockfish River are the two I grew up fishing on. We lived at Afton. :angel:

anothertroutbum

The community of Piney River used to be a moonshine haven and it was one mean as hell place. Somebody was getting shot or cut all the time.    >:D