News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

troutrus

They had enough guys out there to build a pyramid. And a couple sphinx to trim it out.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: troutrus on July 21, 2020, 16:23:04 PMThey had enough guys out there to build a pyramid. And a couple sphinx to trim it out.

No shit. And to top it all off, the minimal flow was the most unnecessary request I've ever seen. I easily wade that section at 500-600cfs, which is barely enough water to come over the dam. Some lazy fuks just want to keep their toes dry.

Woolly Bugger

riverbum talked me into going to the upper smith. he wanted to strip his boogieman and I was willing to check out the river and swing some flies.

350 cfs isn't exactly wader friendly, especially with a heavy stain. I was hoping for clear water out of the damn but the sluice is pretty damn muddy.

We found a spot fished it for a while and then left before the rain came...

that it all...

other than another half-inch of rain fell at Philpott
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fishbug

The Smith is on the struggle bus  b';

Woolly Bugger

2.5 " of rain today... I forgot to mention all of the schumtz floaing and fouling our flies...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

creakycane

Stained at 350, the fish are there below the dam, but pretty hard to fish/wade - some places just unpleasant in muddy flows....  Caught quite a few on big caddis and nymphs.  If you know stretches very well, it is doable, but unless you know every rock, it seems more ominous than it is.  Boy, am I getting old.
Just bumped to 750, so done for a while.....

Al

There will be a wading opportunity on Friday, Aug 21.

My sources tell me they will be reducing flows on Friday for about half a day so they can perform some maintenance - expect this to occur about 9:00am but nothing locked in - watch the gauges. Also be in an area where you can get back out once the flow starts back up.

Water will likely remain muddy but the fish are there and have to eat mud or no mud.

Al

Quote from: Al on August 19, 2020, 15:07:56 PMThere will be a wading opportunity on Friday, Aug 21.

My sources tell me they will be reducing flows on Friday for about half a day so they can perform some maintenance - expect this to occur about 9:00am but nothing locked in - watch the gauges. Also be in an area where you can get back out once the flow starts back up.

Water will likely remain muddy but the fish are there and have to eat mud or no mud.

Just got word the low flow has been canceled for today. Will likely occur next week. I will keep you posted if I hear anything about when it will be rescheduled.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

and another 2+ inches of rain fell at Philpott   
me -There's a season?

troutrus

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 31, 2020, 18:45:20 PMand another 2+ inches of rain fell at Philpott   

b';         😢

creakycane

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 31, 2020, 18:45:20 PMand another 2+ inches of rain fell at Philpott   

True, but it had a surprisingly small impact on Bassett flows as well as little impact in raising philpott levels.  Maybe the two inches+ was localized, and not  much in surrounding hills?

Woolly Bugger

Smifff dropped to 280 cfs

You cannot view this attachment.

Get on it!
me -There's a season?

troutrus

Still too strong for this old guy to fight with. 🙁👎

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutrus on September 10, 2020, 18:16:54 PMStill too strong for this old guy to fight with. 🙁👎

Had to go check it out... headed up in the afternoon, went to the Mirror Plant... Three anglers were comeing out across the field as I was headed in. Two men and a woman with out-of -state plates, one guy came over and we talked for a bit, he caught a couple of SRPBT (Smith River Pune Brown Trout) and the women had reported seeing some risers...

I went in at the head of the riffles below the big sycamore that hangs over the water. Well dang it sure looked muddy, I was hoping that things might have cleared up with the 280 cfs release, but it was yohoo brown.

No risers were spotted and only midges were flying around, so I sat down and drank a beer while rigging up a rusty trombone on a shortened leader.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I watched the cedar waxwings stage on the river's edge and swooping off their pearches to intercept some unseen flying insect. Several times it looked as if two birds were going after the same  bug and only averted a collission at the last moment after the bug was snatched out of the air. Midges, midges and more midges. A pileated woodpecker called in the distance and kingfishers patrolled the river.

I tossed the streamer for a while without any luck, wading wasn't too difficult except for the poor visibility and the uneven rocks of the riverbed. I shoulda took the "old man stick". I noticed that there appeared to be a lot of sediment trapped in the aquatic vegetation, I guess all the Philpott mud is making a real mess of the river, but perhaps it will provide imporved habitat or maybe smouther trout spawning gravel. I want cold clear water again.

I hooked a fatty stocker rainbow on the dangle at the end of a swing before sitting down and consuming my second beer.

I spied a few risers and hoped for some evening activity, so I tied on the fly and leader that I had severed for the streamer with a blood knot. I worked a couple of fish but they weren't looking for my fly, then I cast to one that was rising up close to the bank on the far side of the current. Decent cast, let it drift, then right as the fly was going to start to drag the fish rose and took the fly and I snapped it off on the hook set, damn it.

I think I should been tossing beetles under the rhodos on 5x but no, I had to use 6.5x on a #18bwo....

oh well. I stood in the river and waited for something to change, but all it did was get dark. Oh, there were a few #18 cream colored mayflies that came off.

The deer were out in the field when I hiked out.

Voodoo Ranger, sardenes with hot sauce, and kalamata olives for dinner again!

me -There's a season?