News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Car replacement

Started by itieuglyflies, April 30, 2017, 15:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

Time to replace Toyota  Rav 4. I favor another vehicle of this size but which one ? Another Rav, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, other? Any good, bad experiences recommendations? I might be inclined to sleep in it occasionally so size matters...at least some times as I am a little over 6 ft.

driver

What do you tow your boat with?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

itieuglyflies

I pull my 16ft Jon boat with a Toyota Rav and it does ok as the country around here is pretty flat and I don't make long runs.....anything bigger would be a concern. Something to consider for sure.

Phil

I'm a Subaru fan. Presently have 2 Subarus in our driveway -- a Forester and a Legacy sedan that both run like tops (one 10 years old, the other 14). Best AWD on the market imo. I've had at least one Subaru at a time for the past 30 years.
Never pulled a boat, though. I don't know the towing capacity of the Forester right off the bat.

BrookieHunter

Stay away from any of the 2.5 liter p;- Subarus that are known for head-gasket failures. I would recommend the Honda CRV, my My parents have had two Honda CRVs with absolutely zero problems on either of them.

Dougfish

Subaru, all the way. If you tow, go Outback 6 cylinder. Holds up in the long run. Better sleeper, too. Our Forester and WRX are too small for 6' 3" me.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dougfish

Btw, my 2.5 cars had no head gasket issues. Now, I torched the heads, turbo and more on my 200k WRX, lol. Balls to the walls has a price.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

driver

Had to replace the head gaskets on our 2.5 Forester at 100k.  From what the dealer said after the fix. That Subaru was aware of the problem. And should be corrected in all the newer models. Ours is an 07.

Get a Toyota Tacoma V6 with a camper shell. Or a 4 runner v6

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Grannyknot

I have an outback with the 2.5 and 140k miles
no head gasket issues yet, but the motor is weak af.  I wouldn't want to pull anything with it.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Phil

I gots 140K on one and 120K on the other presently with no head gasket probs. Did, however have head gasket probs on my 1999 with 170K. Traded it like a hot potato.
Subaru claims the Forester can tow 1,500 lbs. I can't imagine that's true. Their engines aren't particularly strong. The towing capacity claims are probably like a "two-man tent" or a "20 degree sleeping bag."

billythreetimes

I vote Subaru as well. My wife got an Outback last year and I usually end up driving it more than my truck, because I love it that much. Plenty of room for all of our shit, a dog, and her kennel. Seats lay flat enough to sleepy comfortably, and it's pretty fun to drive as well.

Dougfish

A neighbor has the 3.6 Outback and has towed a pop up camper all over the US with it. Started to tow with a Forester and then wised up.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

bmadd

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 01, 2017, 08:10:49 AM
no head gasket issues yet, but the motor is weak af.  I wouldn't want to pull anything with it.

I expected to see a Chrysler Town & Country recommendation from you

Grannyknot

Quote from: bmadd on May 01, 2017, 10:41:20 AM

i'd appreciate if you would delete this comment. tia
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Big J

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 01, 2017, 12:58:15 PM
Quote from: bmadd on May 01, 2017, 10:41:20 AM

i'd appreciate if you would delete this comment. tia

:laugh: Wife had this conversation with me the other day.  I told her she would be riding around with a big white Escalade with 28" rims instead.