Hammocks Beach/Bear Island camping

Started by Onslow, May 04, 2017, 19:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

So is this place as attractive as depicted in numerous pics a YT vids?  I've got the itch to go, camp, kayak, and throw a little line.

Woolly Bugger

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NCsporksman

One of my favorite places in the world and I never really even fished it. Kayak camp down on the end by the inlet. If I remember correctly the sites have picnic tables and def bring a strong tent the wind is insane.

Onslow

Can either of you all provide an assessment of the deer flies, the dreaded Tabanus nigrovittatus
, and skeeters for this locale.  I surely hope this place isn't miserable in the way Portsmouth Island is.

NCsporksman

Not an issue if I recall and I've been in June and July, if I recall the wind negates the pest problem

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Onslow

Interesting.  Do try going to Portsmouth without a bee suit, unless you plan to wade in the surf.  The first year the skeeters and deer flies were the issue.  Second year was more miserable than the first.   Green headed marsh flies were biting through clothes.

NCsporksman

Only issue I ever had was from horny ponies and ticks on Shakleford Banks...had to get my at the time gf to dig a tick out of my asscrack (she effed it up and left the head in)....i blame her if I come down w Lyme...and for ruining a great summer of my youth

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

driver

No see ums can be bad on bear island if the wind is light.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave