Can you transfer a lifetime warranty....

Started by stevewes2004, May 25, 2010, 13:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewes2004

If I bought a used fly rod that originally came with a lifetime warranty (scott, sage, loomis, TFO, etc.), can the lifetime warranty be transferred to me?  I know the policy says thats the warranty is good to the original owner but it's just a thought......

thanks, steven

Woolly Bugger

I think you've answered your own question    ::)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

stevewes2004

yea i probably did.  i just see so many people spending big bucks buying used fly rods off ebay.  IMO thats one of the main reasons to go with the name brand guys.  not only because of the quality, but because of the warranty.  i just cant see spending half price for a used sage, scott, etc. when i cant get it warrantied.  maybe this is just a rant thread ???

Woolly Bugger

From another board:

QuoteFu** T&T...

Postby ickypimp » May 16th, '10, 20:50
I picked up a T&T horizon II on ebay a little while back, T&T have a chequered history here in the uk, distributors coming and going, the rod was new but regarded as "grey market", no warranty card with it, liquidated stock due to the deal going sour (again)..

I snapped the top section lifting into a nice big brown, gutted, first fish it connected with clearly a problem with the blank.

I contacted T&T about a replacement, £144 plus $77 shipping, PLUS they want the broken section posting back before they will do a thing, once the customs and taxman have added their 25% it is gonna be a seriously expensive repair.

whats with all the bullshit with lifetime warranties, if its lifetime then its lifetime shouldnt matter if they have had a bit of paper back from you or not or if it is 1st , 2nd or 3rd hand, if they have faith in the quality of their product then it shouldnt be an issue.

sorry bitch over
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diamonddave7676

well if you buy the rod from someone you actually know you could just have them send it in since the rod is registered under their name if something happens to it.  The are some companies that still honor the warranty even if you are not the original owner.  I have a friend that bought a Temple Fork from someone they knew and the tip of it broke while fishing.  They just sent it in under their name even though the rod was warrantied under the originals owner and they never had any problems with Temple Fork.  Also I know someone who had the same thing happen with Sage.  I guess some companies are more leneant then others. 

snagaluffaguss

most of them will fix it for a very minor fee even if you are not the orignal owner.

I know St Croix will fix anything if its their fault for free for the orginal owner

If its your fault and you are the orignal owner then its something like 50 bucks

If its their fault and you are not the orginal owner 50 bucks

If its your fault and you are not the original owner  50 bucks

Pretty much 50 bucks.

diaz dassie

Thats why I have a buddy that manages an Orvis store...
Besides, what about buying new stuff of ebay? Think they care? hell no. Only company dumb enough to fall for this crap, now they bought out was Redington. Expensive as shit in South Africa, only to go to UK and find out its as cheap as Silstar or Daiwa :o

stevewes2004

i guess i'll call some places if i buy a used rod.  sounds like st. croix has a good thing going.  i've got 5 rods and have never broken one in 10 years (knock on wood) but i'll never spend much on a fly rod unless i know i can get the lifetime warranty.

Peddler

Loomis will honor their product regardless.
Winston charts their rods by the matching serial number painted on each section. They know which shop it went to and are pretty adamant about warranty service to original owners. That's not saying they won't fix it, but if it's hot they might know and even if it's legit they will charge you for the repair.
I reckon it boils down to if the rod has a serial number or not. Without it, how the hell can they tell who bought what?
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

stevewes2004

yes thats true.  im pretty sure the scott i have doesn't have a serial number.

croaker

If the rod has a lifetime warranty, it has a serial # somewhere.
That's why the rod company wants the whole rod returned for warranty
repairs...
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Silver Creek

No all lifetime warranty rods have a serial number. The only way to be sure if the warranty transfers is to read the manufacturers warranty page. Some rods come with a registration card and some don't.

Peddler has it right.

GLoomis rods have a lifetime warranty, no card to return and no serial number. Since they don't track their rods, the original or current owner can return a rod for warranty repair. Sage rods have a serial number and that's how they track which rods qualify for the lifetime warranty. All Sage rod serial munbers that start with the letter "M" or later have the unconditonal warranty. "L" and earlier serial numbers have the manufacturing defect warranty only.

Winston is extremely strict about their warranty policy, "The warranty is subject to the original owner filling in either the online WARRANTY REGISTRATION CARD, or completing and returning the warranty card within 10 days of purchase."

I would keep the purchase receipt for the rod. I think this is most important in proving original ownership.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

stevewes2004

ok, i found the serial numbers on both scott rods i have.  they were written in dark blue, over the black graphite so it was hard to see.  heck, gloomis sounds like they have a better thing going....as long as you have the sales reciept

Silver Creek

You don't need to prove original ownership with the GLoomis rods. They will even send you a brand new rod rather than repair your old rod with the Xpeditor Program. You get a new rod plus they pay shipping and insurance both ways for $50. $65 gets you 2 day service.

I've returned rods in the past to Sage and they didn't ask for proof of purchase either. Don't know what Sage's current policy is.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

stevewes2004

man that's sweet...

has anyone experienced the customer service with TFO??