News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

"They who can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Phil

Today's quick range trip. 45 rounds quick fired -- 30 (4 mags) at 10 yards, 15 (2 mags) at 15 yards.
Two misses. Durn.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Ran some rounds through the CZ 75 and Sig P365.  Around the 1,200 round mark on the P365 and still no issues.  Been carrying it more and more.  The CZ 75 is easily my favorite handgun to shoot.  It fits my hand like perfection.  Natural draw and point for me and quick follow up shots due to weight of all steel frame.  My Glock 19 may be going bye bye soon for another CZ.  Jus Sayin. 

Phil

Came across this the other day --

Why I Carry a Gun

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the World.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry; I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a whoopin' without dying.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Phil on May 22, 2019, 12:13:06 PMCame across this the other day --

Why I Carry a Gun

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

Counterpoints:

This reasoning makes sense to me but I am guilty of being a puss, sometimes.

"Why I Don't Own a Handgun"
"I don't want to live in fear. I know that sounds strange — a gun is supposed to bring peace of mind. But to keep a piece at your side is to look at the world through gunsights. It's a profoundly anti-social posture. To me, carrying a handgun is an acknowledgement of weakness, not strength. It's an admission that you're out of ideas for how to deal with people, even those — especially those — who mean you harm. It's a failure of imagination, a failure of wits and, in the case of open carry, a threat of violence to every passing person."

I guess I am often weak, and out of ideas on how to deal with coyotes, bears, and those damned invisible mountain lions, because I carry a handgun in the woods. 

https://www.texasobserver.org/why-i-dont-own-a-handgun/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

I don't give a damn about getting killed. Humans are conceived, live a few happy moments, then die.

I'm too damn lazy to carry.  Don't care about living in fear.  If someone gets in my grill, I'll bite their nose off.

Phil

Quote from: Onslow on May 22, 2019, 18:29:08 PMI don't give a damn about getting killed. Humans are conceived, live a few happy moments, then die.

I'm too damn lazy to carry.  Don't care about living in fear.  If someone gets in my grill, I'll bite their nose off.

I don't live in fear. Gotta question though -- you ever been shot? Ever had someone shooting at you? I have. Getting shot really hurts. Hard to bite somebody's nose off if they're shooting at you or holding a gun on you.

Big J

I really do get both sides of the coin.  Carrying is not for everyone.  Guns aren't for everyone.  Believe that decision should be made by an individual though. Now that I have a wife and two girls it scares the living daylights out of me knowing the kinds of people that walk among us.  That story about Jayme Closs scares me.  Random stranger finds a random girl getting off bus and decides to go in and murder the whole family and kidnap the girl.  Sure, having a gun on you at all times or in the house isn't a guaranteed measure of security, but I know it sure makes me feel better out in public with family or at sleep at night.  Humans are flawed beings.  There are some people out in society that are not "fixable".  I try and stay optimistic and give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but I prefer a to walk with a big stick just incase. I admit I am weak.  There is millions of people that can kick my rear end to Timbuktu and back.  If there is a life and death situation for my girls or someone who is weaker, I'd like to have every advantage within reason at my disposal.  When my girls are of age, I hope to instill the same in them.  Except for my wife, she can't be trusted with a gun.  Or wasp spray.  Or a butter knife.  I can't tell you how many times me or the girls have about been sprayed in the face with wasp spray because a bee or wasp got too close to my wife. Like I said, guns aren't for everyone. 

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on May 22, 2019, 18:29:08 PMI don't give a damn about getting killed. Humans are conceived, live a few happy moments, then die.

I do give a damn about getting killed.  I like it here for the most part. I care even more about my family staying alive.

I don't care for living in naivety or victimhood. I carry every day, pretty much everywhere. And hopefully never need it. But if I do, I'm not limited to biting.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

JMiller

I'd rather drink than carry.
Sorry.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Al

Quote from: JMiller on May 29, 2019, 05:46:44 AMI'd rather drink than carry.
Sorry.

I agree that is one downside to a CCP but I look at it this way while in a public place - I probably shouldn't be drinking anyway because I will have to drive home and the last thing I need is a DUI. Another thought is O'douls and the other  non-alcoholic beers taste almost the same to me so when out in public I often drink them.

Big J

Glock 19 went bye bye and sold a couple other guns and got this CZ P-01 with a Cajun Gun Works Pro Kit.  These CZ's may be hipster like but they sure do fit my hand nicely.   

Phil