News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Corona Virus

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 02, 2020, 13:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you worried, have you changed habits?

I stopped drinking Corona Beer!
I stopped eating Chinese Take Out
What Corona Virus?
One time at band camp I got a virus...

Onslow

Population density matters.  So does viral load.

Theoretically, Elkin and Surry county should be completely wrapped up with the virus.  Many here think Covid 19 is a joke.  They go to Lowes without PPE, employees rarely have PPE, people are eating lunch with bare hands after they shop in the parking area, people are talking in close proximity in parking lots, customers are standing beside barriers to talk to clerks, greasy spoon cashiers are not wearing gloves handling cash.

Onslow

I believe we're all intelligent enough to process this.

QuoteChinese scientists have found that Europe and America's East Coast have been infected by some of the most aggressive Covid-19 strains, as they discovered dozens of virus mutations. These destroy a host's cells faster than others.
The ability of the novel coronavirus to mutate has been previously vastly underestimated, a team from China's Zhejiang University, led by Professor Li Lanjuan, says in a new study. The group found as many as 33 virus mutations in just 11 coronavirus patients they examined in the city of Hangzhou.

The researchers say that 60 percent of the strains they discovered turned out to be entirely new. In a worrying development, they also discovered that the virus's mutations directly affect its deadliness. Their research revealed that the most aggressive type of Covid-19 could create a virus load 270 times greater than the least potent one.

The virus load is the measure of its quantity in a certain volume of bodily fluid, usually blood plasma. It particularly shows how quickly a pathogen could propagate through the organism and destroy its cells. Unfortunately for Europeans, one of the most aggressive strains found by the Chinese scientists appears to be similar to the one that has spread across the continent, particularly Italy and Spain, the pre-print of the study published on the website medRxiv.org revealed on Sunday.

The same strain came from Europe to New York, which has since become one of the worst affected US states. America's West Coast, however, appears to be infected by another, less deadly strain that arrived directly from China.

Nonetheless, that doesn't mean those on the West Coast have less cause for concern, as even less powerful strains can cause a serious ailment, the Zhejiang University team warns. They note that two of the observed patients, in their 30s and 50s, who contracted a weaker strain, still suffered severe symptoms.

ALSO ON RT.COM
Worldwide Covid-19 death toll soars past 170,000 – Johns Hopkins University
Most importantly, though, the scientists say their discoveries could affect the development of the much-needed vaccine, because a one-size-fits-all solution might not work in case of Covid-19.

"Drug and vaccine development, while urgent, needs to take the impact of these accumulating mutations, especially the founding mutations, into account to avoid potential pitfalls," the team says.

Globally, the novel coronavirus has thus far infected more than 2.3 million people and claimed more than 170,000 lives.

https://www.rt.com/news/486425-covid-19-mutations-deadlier-strains/

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Hallelujah!!!!  I now have optimism.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Covid19 from a NC physician's view -- everyone should read this.

"Let me introduce myself: I am a practicing ER doctor with a Bachelors degree in cell and molecular biology/genetics and a Masters degree in public health in addition to my doctorate.
COVID is not a flu. Not even a little. Here are reasons why:

1. It is a separate species. It is no more like influenza than you are like a hippo. DIFFERENT SPECIES.
2. It is an airborne virus. This means the tiny droplets can stay in the air for a full 2 hours. So if a person coughed in aisle 4 of Target 1.5 hours ago, they may be home now but their covid cloud is still hanging there just waiting for you to walk by and take a breath. Influenza is not an airborne virus. It is droplet spread- meaning someone has to directly crop dust you with their sneeze to get you sick. Covid is much more contagious.
3. Covid is more virulent. Virulence factor is a measure of how catchy something is. For example, the flu is like beer. It takes a bunch to get you drunk. Covid is more like tequila - A little goes a long way. You need to suck up a lot of flu particles to actually catch the flu; with covid, even a few particles is enough to infect you.
4. Covid has a longer incubation than the flu. When you catch the flu, you typically get sick in the next 1-2 days. This is awesome because it means you stay at home while contagious because you feel like a heap of fried garbage. Covid has a blissful 5-9 days of symptom free time during which you are well enough to head to the movies, gym or mar-a-lago while also being contagious enough to infect everyone you encounter.
5. Covid has a longer duration of illness than flu. With covid, you have a 5-9 days of blissful asymptomatic contagiousness. This then turns into about 1 week of cough and overall feeling like hell but still surviving. Week 2 is when things hit the fan and people end up unable to breathe and on a ventilator. Many stay on the vent for up to 15 days. 5 days incubating+7 kinda sick days + 15 days on a ventilator makes for 27 days of virus spreading illness, (assuming your don't just die of massive asphyxiation and body-wide collapse from overwhelming infection somewhere in that last week).The flu has an average incubation of 1-2 days and sick time of 7 days for a total of 9 infectious days. In the world of deadly viruses, that 18 extra days might as well be a millennia.
6. Covid is more deadly. A LOT more deadly. The flu has about a 0.2% mortality rate, meaning 2 of every thousand people who get sick with flu will die. On the contrary, the death rate from covid is reportedly 2%, so 10 times more deadly than flu. Ten times more death seems like a lot more death to me. Whats more worrisome is that 2% is actually incorrect because it doesn't kill kids so that skews the average. With covid, age is a major factor in survival. If we don't include people under 30, the death rate for adults is on average 4.5%. 9 out of every 200 adults that get this will die from it. Do you know 200 adults? Do you think losing 9 of them is no big deal? Since mortality increases with age in covid, the risk gets worse as you get older so if we put 100 grannies in a room with covid, only 85 would make it out alive to make pies and tell great stories of the old days... and that just sucks.

I hope that helps to clarify why covid is in no way a flu, why you are in no way a hippo, and why staying home is the only way for non-essential people to do their part while I spend my days at work covered in a plastic poncho, sucking air through a stuffy respirator mask, leaving my scrubs in my driveway, showering the covid off at 4am when I get in, and thinking to myself "now do u still think it was just a flu?" as I risk my own life with my face 2 inches from their highly contagious, gasping mouth while I slide the plastic tube down their throat and start up the ventilator."

troutrus

So I noticed in the video above that trumpsky did suggest that the internal organ cleansing with disinfectant should be done by a medical doctor. Guessing he's concerned that some of his disciples may try it at home, like the guy that took the fish tank cleaner after shithead recommended chloroquine.
So see, he is learning.

Woolly Bugger

Gov Cooper: State parks to reopen in phase 1. Rangers: It's 'weird' without people around.

if all goes well in the fight against coronavirus, North Carolina state parks can reopen May 9

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article242261136.html
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Rules from NJ when they open the parks on May 2!

Going to be a Real shit show with closed bathrooms!

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

troutrus

You cannot view this attachment.

Al

Quote from: troutrus on April 24, 2020, 07:10:17 AMSo I noticed in the video above that trumpsky did suggest that the internal organ cleansing with disinfectant should be done by a medical doctor. Guessing he's concerned that some of his disciples may try it at home, like the guy that took the fish tank cleaner after shithead recommended chloroquine.
So see, he is learning.

Might be more to it than him just drinking fish bowel cleaner because Trump suggested it

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/homicide-cops-looking-into-death-of-arizona-man-who-drank-chloroquine-to-ward-off-coronavirus-report.html?fbclid=IwAR3AZYfnHbPQVCyowRKg_y4O-0WF545tXwBiOMJsSy6M1PCfo313a0hZ0VI

Al

troutrus

Let's call it a push Al. We are too old to be bickering about some dumb ass drinking aquarium chemicals. I gotta go see if I can find a place to fish, and I'm sure you have more important things to do as well.
Take care and stay safe. ✌🏼

Woolly Bugger

A new short film by a Wilmington ad agency encourages Delawareans to show resolve and see a better future beyond the coronavirus pandemic.

The film is called "Greater Wilmington, April 2020 - See Togetherness, See Resolve, See the Future." It was produced by NuPOINT.

https://www.delawarepublic.org/post/enlighten-me-wilmington-ad-agency-produces-short-film-showing-emptiness-during-covid-19
me -There's a season?