News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Corona Virus

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 02, 2020, 13:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you worried, have you changed habits?

I stopped drinking Corona Beer!
I stopped eating Chinese Take Out
What Corona Virus?
One time at band camp I got a virus...

greg

Damn I just puked a little.

greg

Just saw where John Prine has passed away. This sucks.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

rbphoto

I rather focus on the good that is happening in our community:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/food-for-the-frontline-upstate-sc?utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2C6YHEgrKPt9sVm2dC5wQfMXdn0Yao-XsQ6Aqcq7MoJ7sm6QAen-8UO40

I get the rest of the story from my healthcare family & friends.  Some good, some not so good.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

jwgnc

Is anyone else using Instacart? 

We tried our first delivery yesterday from a CVS after a 3 day wait. Just a few things to see how it went:  ice cream, eggs, nuts, soup, candy. 

Prices are higher than in the store, and we tipped 15%, but ... I have some health issues, and I'm not wanting to mingle in the stores.  It worked well for us. 

Big order from the grocery scheduled to arrive Friday 5 days after the order.  A friend said not to expect a full order; he had several items that were out-of-stock on delivery day.  We'll see how it goes.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Dougfish

Going to do our first Kroger pickup order tomorrow.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

I did a Lowe's Food pick up the other day. Worked out pretty good. Made an instore beer run and picked up some other stuff today. not many customers at all. No face mask on cashier.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Who the heck knew Goldfinger was still together playing? Blast from the 90's Posser Skateboarding days.

Onslow

Feelings of optimism are not welling up at the moment.  Corona viruses of all varieties are tough to nail down, and these facts are tough to come to terms with. Being hunted by a potentially lethal common cold appears to be the new norm from my perspective.  The whole vaccination hope appears to be a pie in the sky.

Perhaps someone more informed than I can make a different and compelling case for what is ahead of us all.

rbphoto

I'm differently informed than you, but not in my mind any better informed.

The old adage about lies, damned lies and statistics stays in my mind most days.

I think there is faster learning about the spread of this virus than anything we have ever experienced, which is why things are changing with such drama and frequency.

The peak dates by state range wildly because they look at death rates, daily infection rates, hospital usage rates, etc.

Then there is the entire discussion about mitigation, isolation, stay-at-home, hammer & the dance, etc.

Testing has only hit about 1% of the US population with about a 19% infection rate among those tested - source:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2wK_16lPoui2DZ2ZhNVMIRDGpHtyBxIUbK1VUGUjaxqTvsVTbz_740QLM#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It seems like lower population dense areas are faring better than higher ones.  Makes sense to me.

I think this visual is very telling:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/?fbclid=IwAR2Tir_IgB47wPzQDTUu4FRGjQBiNdJySP24iXaJCc2vFZZ3C6mZQEhYfDQ

I think the wisest approach moving forward is going to be some form of the hammer & the dance strategy.

I just hope it isn't a 12-18 month long process.

I know I have fished twice in the last couple of weeks and plan to do a lot more in the coming weeks.  My sporting clays shooting is greatly reduced since only one local club is still operating, albeit with significant restrictions. 

My fly tying is getting better!

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Woolly Bugger

Just looking at maps, I noticed that there are ZERO cases in four Boroughs in New York City

Richmond
Kings
Queens
Bronx

How is this possible?

You cannot view this attachment.

Never mind -- reporting errors
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

As people hold out hope for a vaccine:
"Two of the world's largest vaccine manufacturers - Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline - collaborate to speed up corona virus vaccine work."
"They said in a statement that they aim to complete all of the work required to file for regulatory approval by the second half of 2021."

The Cliff notes version? Remember the HIV vaccine we were promised? This will not be quick. Or painless. If you have elderly or compromised family and friends, this could be rough. My wife has some blood pressure and respiratory issues. And our 80+ mothers are locked down in assisted living. I'm resigned to losing some family and friends. Sigh. Big socially distant hugs, my friends.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

The common cold is probably the most well know corona virus.  Ain't no vaccine for it.  Some mastery over the influenza virus (corona) has been attained. If humans are struggling with the older aforementioned corona viruses, how in the heck to do we expect clear dominion over Covid 19?

Fauci stated we would never shake hands again.  I think we are struggling to come to terms with the new reality.

What really causes me heartburn is the seemingly complete inability for the "superpower" to manufacture simple PPE for the its own citizens. We were profoundly sick long before Covid 19 exposed the real sickness.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on April 14, 2020, 14:11:03 PMThe common cold is probably the most well know corona virus.  Ain't no vaccine for it.  Some mastery over the influenza virus (corona) has been attained. If humans are struggling with the older aforementioned corona viruses, how in the heck to do we expect clear dominion over Covid 19?

Fauci stated we would never shake hands again.  I think we are struggling to come to terms with the new reality.

What really causes me heartburn is the seemingly complete inability for the "superpower" to manufacture simple PPE for the its own citizens. We were profoundly sick long before Covid 19 exposed the real sickness.

QuoteThere are now 70 vaccine research efforts underway, according to the World Health Organization. Even with the resources of the two pharma giants, the world is likely to need multiple vaccines to meet the unprecedented global demand for a coronavirus vaccine, GSK executives said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-vaccine-sanofi-and-gsk-collaboration-timeline-details-2020-4
me -There's a season?