OBX blackout: Mandatory evacuation, state of emergency on Ocracoke Island

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 28, 2017, 07:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article164046057.html

Thousands were without power on Ocracoke and Hatteras islands on Thursday and officials were unsure when it will be restored.

The Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative said on Thursday that it could take several days or even weeks before power can be restored on Hatteras and Ocracoke.

A state of emergency was issued Thursday, according to Hyde County officials, and visitors to Ocracoke were told to evacuate so work could proceed on restoring power.

PCL Construction, the company building the new Bonner Bridge, told CHEC that at about 4:30 a.m. on Thursday, its crews drove a steel casing into the underground transmission cable running between the south end of the bridge and the overhead riser pole, causing the outage.

======================

:o somebody fuked up!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Pansyman

Ooops  shoulda called One-call to get that locate........somebody should be fired
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Woolly Bugger

https://ocracokeobserver.com/2017/07/30/back-up-power-working-in-ocracoke-officials-seeking-additional-portable-generators/

All three cables have been severed or damaged..

I think the contractor should have to pay for loss income and wages for the islanders, this, to me, appears to be way beyond stupid... how could the not know the cable was down there...   n!n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

they had a map showing where the cables came out from under the bridge. Dumb ass shit

Grannyknot

steel casing into the main electrical line for an entire island.
bet that made a little spark.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

rbphoto

Quote from: Grannyknot on July 31, 2017, 13:32:55 PM

I would not be surprised if it fried whatever piece of equipment they were using to drive the casing.

My brother worked in the golf course industry for years and was on the install crew for Greg Norman's course in West Palm.  He tells how an operator smoked two brand new excavators by hitting a main power line 2x within a week of each other. 

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Aka

Quote from: rbphoto on July 31, 2017, 14:39:39 PM
Quote from: Grannyknot on July 31, 2017, 13:32:55 PM

I would not be surprised if it fried whatever piece of equipment they were using to drive the casing.

My brother worked in the golf course industry for years and was on the install crew for Greg Norman's course in West Palm.  He tells how an operator smoked two brand new excavators by hitting a main power line 2x within a week of each other.

That just doesn't seem like something you should get a chance to repeat...