Poppin the cherry (tr)

Started by buddy_25_99, May 25, 2016, 21:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddy_25_99

While waiting on a few books. I've been doing a little research online. Came across what sounded to be a perfect creek to get started with some exploring. Creek said it held wild Browns and occasional stocked bow that would swim up. The head waters was suppose to have a good supply of brookies.

So I started my journey. Coming up on the 1st productive looking hole. I drifted a nymph. Hooked up on a huge ass brown. This fucker rolled once on top and shot by me. I was so in the moment I may of had it minutes or seconds I'm not sure. Watching my little 5wt taking a beating I expected it to snap any time. Then the line gave...FUUCCKK. Rigged back up hooked in to another brown
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Happy to restore a little confidence. Cause the next few hours was pretty dry. As I made my way up some beautiful scenery Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Making my way up to the headwaters in search of some brooks. Followed this bitch where it was 30 foot wide to a trickle. Threw everything I owned in some way. Just couldn't seem to make it happen. Walked over shit, under shit, and threw shit. Was almost completely suspended from the shit at one time.

At some point...the shit tore a hole in my waders.
The day has been a blast but not turning out to be very productive. On my way back down. Seen a fish come to the top in a nice deep hole. So I tied on a dry fly and dropped an emerger off it. Did a drift and nothing. So I planned to bounce it back to the top. Picking it up moving it up 8 to 12 inches and setting it back down. Trying not to pull my emerger out. Them "occasional" stocked bows lost their shit.

I got 7 and lost 3 almost in a row. With numerous blow ups. Great way to finish after miles of walking. With little results.

any one know what this is? Eel looking body with a mouth was like a sucker. Found 5 dead from something.

All in all an amazing day out. Hate I got to work the next 6 days, but gives me time to plan my next adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Interesting format you chose, my friend.

Pretty sure that's a lamprey. That exploring gets addictive, you'll see. If and when I ever bless that neck of the woods with my southern-self again we need to hit some good shit up in there.

Get them waders fixed. Can't you wet wade up there yet?

Michael Toris

That is a lamprey, probably a Brook lamprey. What drainage?

Don't use that glove shit to handle trout; it fucks up their slime coat and they are more susceptible to disease.

Dee-Vo

Forgot to mention the glove. It's becoming a trend here.

buddy_25_99

Good to know. I got big in to steelheading over the winter. The glove was a go to. Dropping them was worse on them. So you needed to be able to hold on and a net big enough for some of them to fit in is tough to drag long in the places I would go. 1st trip out to water with some wild fish. Won't make the mistake again!! And thanks for the fish identity. I've never came across one.

Woolly Bugger

Sux about the waders, patch em up! If / when mine dry out I'll be aquasealing a few more pinholes

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Damn. You beat me to the Michael thing.

troutfanatic

we'll have to chat about where you encountered that Lamprey and ditto on the gloves. Gloves are for bros or heavy stripping on salt. Ditch that shit airborne.