Back in the saddle again...

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 24, 2011, 12:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I headed out to visit the local beer store for their Saturday sampling of Brown Ale, but Sally and I were turned away at the door, no dogs allowed anymore, guess I'll find another place to shop. Plans were to head up to Philpott's field and run the dog and maybe do a little fishing and perhaps snap a few pictures. The summer crops had been turned over and there were only a few small patched of peppers and greens. Sally ran the field sniffing out rabbits and other critters on the way to the river.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

There were plenty of midges coming off the water along with the occasional yellow drake. These large bug float for 40 or 50 feet before taking off, this gives the trout plenty of time to eyeball them. Only about half of them made it to flight. A few trout may have also been rising to the midges or one of the other mayflies that were coming off sporadically. I went large and fished a green drake/coffin fly with an extended body which was the closest thing in my fly box to those big yellow drakes. I got a trout to rise but missed it, and then I lost the fly in a tree and had to switch over to other patterns that the trout unfortunately showed zero interest in.

I decided to drink a stream cooled beer and enjoy the scenery and take some photos before running the dog on the way back to the car.

Pizza and beer at Poppa's Pizza is a great way to end the day. When I got home, it wasn't long before I was in the shower and off to bed.

Up at 6 the next morning I headed off to the SoHo to meet up with TroutPhisher and Mike. The day started off with chill and bright skies. I picked off a few bows in skinny riffles on the way up to my main run. Karl and Mike were about an hour late and joined in on the catching. Nymphs were the order of the day although they could be had on the surface as well.

I hooked into a large brown that immediately porpoised  like a nuclear submarine breaching the surface. The fight didn't last long as the #20 mercury midge popped loose. I went back to that run after giving it a two hour rest and hooked that brown again! This time it ping-ponged left, right, up, and down driving me all around the pool, I never had any control over that fish. Once again the hook came loose.

Plenty of smaller trout were caught although it was slow in the middle of the day, but that could be expected with the brilliant blue skies. Later in the evening the action picked up again and some decent fish were caught by
all. 

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Get Bent

No dogs is BS, if they allowed them before why turn them away now. I would definitely take my business elsewhere.

The lose of the big brown will be a scenario that will play over and over in east Tenn. With thoe toads on the move, there will be tons of hook ups some landed, but more lost. Way to stick em twice!

I will look for the corrected pics....

0:0
Konichiwa Bitches!

Transylwader

Damn good photo's. I thought I was still jrunk, seeing them twice!

Woolly Bugger

fixed....

I left the camera in the car in the afternoon, Karl got some shots... maybe he'll post them, if Mississippi has internet... -0-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

franzenangler

Awesome shots and nice fish! Cool to get the big guy to eat again. 'c;
"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I AM THE TRANSYL WADER!"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

OldDominionAngler

Doesn't look like you missed a beat.  Great photos. 0:0

AL trout bum

Awesome pics/report as always. I went to the South Holston for the first time ever this past Saturday. Left Huntsville at 2am, drove straight there, tried to ahead of the water coming. It arrived around 11am and drove me off. Waited a while and went back out. Caught one small brown, but on a dry at least. That river was humbling. I left and made the long drive, with a feeling of failure. I really look up to you guys that consistently catch there!  0:0
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

benben reincarnated

Nice report Woolly.  Your pictures never cease to amaze me.      bd;0

Rod Champion

That backside of the island picture is beautiful, Keith.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

troutphisher

Ole Miss does have the intertweeb, but I have to climb the telephone post to use it.......

It was good to get back on the water again, even though it was a long drive, it was just what I needed.

Mikey was a little late, but we met up at 8:30 and headed to the water. Keith called said he be there by 9:30 and I told him where to meet us. We got on the water and Keith was already into a few, so I headed up stream to a favorite run.

Started off the day fishing a size 18 ptn flashback, and dropped a bwo emerger about a foot off.
In short time it was donkey kong. I had a blast catching fish for the first time in a couple of months, and even though they small fish, it was still fun.

Later we moved around and went down river and I fished another run, but I was lazy from the "pure Belgian yeast" Mikey decided to brew up......good god ...it was like eating a dummy biscuit......

After I regained my composure, I had a blast catching a few on drys, bwo's and sulphurs both size 18.
The rainbows were in full color, with deep rose stripes and cheek plates.

End of the year, and I'm back to full time fishing!

Here are a few more pic's of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

The Dude

A-1 reportage.  And those rainbows were looking absolutely stunning.  I reckon that stream is going to be getting some more pressure now that the wild streams are slowing down and anglers are looking to scratch that itch.  maybe this will be the year i finally go fish it...........
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

gamatt53

Nice pics I almost went up to to the smith saturday too but figured it would be a midge affair with the clear skies and high pressure. Got spoiled on a bwo smorgasbord last time up so I'll ill just wait for some clouds.

I need to make it to the Soho one of these days....I just don't like fishing crowded water so I may wait until the weather is shittier. I figure the smith is good practice though until then

kylemc

Thanks for the call guys. Oh wait, I was on another river catching 6# bows and 3# smallies.

Suck it Wooly ;D

Holmes

Nice work you guys,, glad to see everyone was having a solid weekend on the water bd;0

valley996