News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Cork Repair?

Started by Phil, July 05, 2018, 07:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Has anyone here tried filling a hole in cork grip with wood filler? Do I need some kind of sealer after drying and sanding? Does it work worth a durn, or should I send it back for warranty repair?
Sorry if it's a dumb question -- I've never built or repaired any rods before.

Dougfish

Get you a tube of Duco cement. Drink a bottle of wine. Lay out a piece of 60 grit sandpaper and sand down the cork. Collect the cork dust/bits. Using a sheet of paper as a mixing pad and a mixing stick, mix dust and cement into a paste and smear into cracks/voids. Let dry overnight. Sand with 150/200 grit paper. Repeat if necessary. Fish as is when done, or use U-40 Cork Sealer to add durability.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Jfey

Quote from: Dougfish on July 05, 2018, 07:26:25 AM
Get you a tube of Duco cement. Drink a bottle of wine. Lay out a piece of 60 grit sandpaper and sand down the cork. Collect the cork dust/bits. Using a sheet of paper as a mixing pad and a mixing stick, mix dust and cement into a paste and smear into cracks/voids. Let dry overnight. Sand with 150/200 grit paper. Repeat if necessary. Fish as is when done, or use U-40 Cork Sealer to add durability.

That's how its done.   I've done this a few times also on some older rods and it works.
Yup, going fishing

Phil

Thanks, Doug! I'll try my hand at that. Have to let my wife drink the wine, though. I don't drink anymore.  ;D

Big J

Quote from: Jeff Fey on July 05, 2018, 07:47:47 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on July 05, 2018, 07:26:25 AM

That's how its done.   I've done this a few times also on some older rods and it works.

Jfey

Ha, just  noticed that.  Don't recall changing it.  Wooly must be trying to out me to the public :D

Edit-- Jfey is now restored d:b d:b d:b
Yup, going fishing

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Jfey on July 06, 2018, 08:57:23 AM
Ha, just  noticed that.  Don't recall changing it.  Wooly must be trying to out me to the public :D

Edit-- Jfey is now restored d:b d:b d:b
Not me, could be your tapacrap credentials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!