News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Well, I figured I’d ask…. Sorr...
Last post by troutboy_II - March 18, 2024, 12:49:51 PM
First off, I know and support the unwritten (written?) rules about sharing specific creeks, etc.  :bow

That being said, I find myself with knee surgery finally being rescheduled to April 9th and Trout_girl and I are looking for a stream that is currently accessible to me with my worn out knee, but something different than what we have fished over the last twenty years in WNC. So, big ask I know, if anyone has any suggestions for interesting streams that are fairly close to parking and would be willing to pass them on to us, we would appreciate it.  Not looking for your honey holes or obvious choices (Davidson as an example or most DH spots), but somewhere off the beaten path that you found interesting but still not what you would consider "private".  I don't think this will be a last hurrah or anything dramatic like that, but clearly I will be on the bench for a while after the surgery and it would be cool if we could have one more interesting adventure before the robot goes nuts on my knee.

I figure I am currently good for 1/2 mile or perhaps a little more round trip to stream - probably depends on elevation change more than anything. Deeper streams offer cooling on joint so that adds to options. Some days are better than others, so not sure. Looking for spot within an hour drive of Mills River.

So, if you would like to offer a suggestion, please PM me or post here.  If you don't want to contribute, I completely understand. After all, it's not like I have a terminal disease or anything like that, fortunately. So, if you have a throw away that fits the above, please throw it our direction.

Thanks.

TB
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by JCB3 - March 18, 2024, 10:01:44 AM
Smith River / Road Clean Up

April 20th 9am-12..!!!

Meet at the Bassett Boat Access,
271 Trent Hill Dr.
(Off Route 57 E. In Bassett)
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 18, 2024, 08:38:33 AM

#24 — 26 a bit cooler with a few clouds,gas $3.18

Gotta fish when you can, even on a Sunday. I got to the lot just after noon and there was only one vehicle there. As I got ready the angler came out and I asked if he was done already. "It's too windy, I only fish dry flies and the wind is terrible. The weatherman said 10, but he was wrong! You've got the whole river to yourself now."

I left the euro in the car and headed out with just the 2 wt and some soft hackles.

The wind was brutal, with hold onto your hat gusts the rippled the water. There was no way to euro or tight line nymph let alone cast a dry. However, swinging the wet was the ticket.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Eight or nine were caught, which I thought was a decent number under the conditions. I found a jar of salmon eggs at the Trestle Pool Creek where the spin guy had been yesterday and added it to the "Trash Pile" behind the TP Bench. I need to remember to take a trash bag in to carry it out next time!

Not that they necessarily need a recommendation, but MRFC is legit.  First heard of them probably 15 years ago when they had a contest to win a Scott G-2 and damn if we didn't win it!  Trout_Girl immediately claimed it and it has been her go to 5 wt ever since.  Out of a sense of obligation I followed this shop on line thereafter and have bought from them over the years, always with good service and prices.

So, check them out.

That is all.  -+;

TB
The Gravel Bar / Re: What a game!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 17, 2024, 06:50:48 AM

That was awesome!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 16, 2024, 22:38:19 PM

#24 25 72 blue skies

I just happened to check the river gauges and saw that the flow had been cut to the new low normal, so I made a hasty exit and drove on up. I had the river to myself for a while, then got low holed at the trestle pool by a spin guy and his dog, while two trout bros came down into the tail of the left-hand pool.

But before that happened, I swung up a few trout and as I was fishing, I heard a crashing sound behind me and as I turned, I saw an osprey fly off clutching a trout in its talons. Pretty cool!

Bluebells are getting ready to pop, the trout lilies are at peak as are the bloodroot.

There was a mixed hatch during the day they brought fish to the surface.

Half-price beer for the win!

DSFK

Towards the end of the day there were tremendous swarms of small caddis  flies on the water.

The Gravel Bar / What a game!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 16, 2024, 07:07:43 AM
NC State stuns Virginia after last-ditch 3; will face UNC for ACC crown

d:b  d:b  d:b

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by trout-r-us - March 15, 2024, 07:45:25 AM
Beware, the Ides of March are upon us.

You cannot view this attachment.
Local Trip Reports / Re: finally on the board in 24
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 14, 2024, 09:11:41 AM

#24 -- 24 70s sunny Gas $3.12

With the Smith flowing high for a while longer I headed out to a small stream with the 2wt Superfine Glass rod and a box of dryflies looking for some brookie action. I hiked it about 3/4 of a mile and began fishing a couple of spots where I've found fish before. No luck to start out but I finally got on the board with a pune rainbow. I worked my way up to the homestead and after not getting any love on the surface I tied on a dropper and hooked a couple of pune brookies who wriggled away before photos. The two weight will fling flies up into trees on missed hooksets just as well as a 9 foot five wight. Rigged with another dry, I fished a log jammed run where there had to be a fish. After 4 or 5 most excellent drifts I saw a fish rise right in front of a snag. A few cast later I got the drift right and the fish smashed the fly, but my reflexes were too quick and peppery and that 12 inch rainbow only felt the sting of the hook.

The forest floor was littered with bloodrook, a few blue bells were out and dutchman's britches will follow soon. The trees are budded out but the is no shade and rays of the sun hit with full force. I should have wet-waded but didn't prepare properly and had the wrong boots. 

It was slow going for me and I was done after three and a half hours.

DSFK

Tearing up mountains to 4 lane 58...
https://www.vdot.virginia.gov/projects/salem-district/route-58-widening---lovers-leap-in-patrick-county-ppta-project/