Football season is upon us (that's the one with the oblong ball, Tranny)

Started by flatlander, August 14, 2012, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on August 14, 2012, 14:32:47 PM
QuoteWhat ye say, VT boys...fowl or just foul?  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/virginia-tech-now-fowl-feet-helmets-231659811--ncaaf.html 

I really like the turkey track helmet, but I've still got a lot of hayseed blood in me.  As long as VT continues to humiliate those cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys from C,ville, I don't care; they can wear pink helmets with roses on them.  No apologies to any Hoos aboard.

I give the helmets a thumbs down. I'm not a fan of uniform tinkering. But the kids like it, and Nike $$$'s are sweet, so there it is.
I'm still wondering what they drink in Hooville since they took Zima off the market.  n!n

Transylwader

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on August 14, 2012, 13:00:08 PM
Granny, that IS INDEED football mate!  I can't wait for the scousers to get their arses kicked by the Gooners
Fixed :-*

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Dougfish on August 14, 2012, 15:06:54 PM

I'm still wondering what they drink in Hooville since they took Zima off the market.  n!n

Four Loko

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

QuoteThe coaches from UVA are recruiting players from France?

No, but considering the failures of Sally Hemings University against VT in football the last few years, the coaches could have very well recruited French footballers and done just as well.

Someone, somewhere a few years back equated UVA to the French, and their propensity for surrendering under pressure. It seemed to fit at the time and continues to have merit.

The rivalry, if you can call it that, is/was a good one.  I have the utmost respect for The University of Virginia. It is a top notch institution, but it is a hoot to jab at them.  Their day will come when they will again beat their instate rival, and all those Hoo fans that suffered coronaries when VT joined the ACC will rejoice. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

5xTippett

Mud, I would very much appreciate it if you or some other Hokie (what ever the heck that is) would explain to me how you let Clemson beat you, not once, but twice.  South Carolina beat their brains out the last game of the regular season and West Virginia beat them in the Orange Bowl by a score of 220 to -15 or something like that.  That may not be the exact score but it is close.  I shall be anxiously awaiting you to enlighten be.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Ben, there is a simple explanation.  VT did not score more points than Clemson in either game.  I can stomach losing to Clemson, NCState, any of the Land Granters.  But it is grim when the ACC elite bluebloods get the best of you.  WRector and I have a bet on this year's Clemson/VT game.  Fun times ahead. 

As for USC-east and WVU beating Clemson, I am certain the Old Ball Coach cheated and WVU's coaches, players, cheer squad, band, and fans did not shower for 3 weeks before the Orange Bowl.  It all makes sense.  No one could play in that kind of stench.   

AL trout bum

I'm obviously an Auburn fan. The SEC is going to be tough again this year. LSU will still have plenty of depth even without the honey badger. Alabama will be strong, although I hate them. Georgia would be if they could keep their players out of trouble. Remember, they gave LSU all they could handle in the SEC Championship last year. I think they will take the East, unless South carolina has a surprise or two. As for the West, who knows. I have no idea of Texas A&M, or how the power battle between LSU and Alabama will play out. Unfortunately for my tigers, I think we will be a hell of a lot better on defense, but offense is still a mystery. New OC, no named QB yet, very young O line, it ain't looking pretty. Of course, as long as we beat Alabama, the rest doesn't matter!  :P
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

WRector

Quote from: 5xTippett on August 14, 2012, 21:38:19 PM
Mud, I would very much appreciate it if you or some other Hokie (what ever the heck that is) would explain to me how you let Clemson beat you, not once, but twice.  South Carolina beat their brains out the last game of the regular season and West Virginia beat them in the Orange Bowl by a score of 220 to -15 or something like that.  That may not be the exact score but it is close.  I shall be anxiously awaiting you to enlighten be.

Ben to answer your questions about the USCe and West VA beatings of Clemson, I will provide this insight.  Kevin Steel, former DC for my beloved tigers, couldn't stop a read option QB or any QB that had decent foot speed for that matter, if his life depended on it.  See Maryland and GaTech's god awful triple option also...  Steel, was however, very good with scheming against traditional offenses, ala VaTech.

I'm not one to make excuses, but it also didn't make matters any better that Sammy Watkins and are starting right tackle Landon Walker, a walk-on mind you, were both injured in the USCe game.  Our defense was going to give up 20 points a game no matter who we played last year, so the offense had to be clicking.

Dabo, better have his boys right to play this year or 4 losses in a row to USCe isn't going to sit very well with the Tiger faithful.
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

AL trout bum

Quote from: WRector on August 15, 2012, 21:14:33 PM
Dabo, better have his boys right to play this year or 4 losses in a row to USCe isn't going to sit very well with the Tiger faithful.

Clemson is fo real. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm worried about that starting game
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

5xTippett

Rector, I was picking on Stephen and I am still waiting on a satisfactory answer.  So far all I can give him is a C+.  By the way my wife went to Clemson as did my uncle on my mother's side.  I went to Wofford as did my daddy and his two brothers.  His sister and most of my first cousins on daddy's side went to SC.  Football season is fun. I can pick on who I want to and pull for whoever I want to.  Shoot, my grandmother's granddaddy Yancey graduated from UNC.   If they are winning I can pull for them and if they start cheating again I will disown 'em.  In the meantime I will stick to Wofford and SC, just don't tell my wife and mother about the SC part.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I heard one kid drove through the UNC campus spring semester and received a B+ in some class.

The chickens always come home to roost.  That snobbish UNC prof should have muzzled her comments back in the early 2000s when she questioned the behavior of VTs athletics.   I hope State beats you guys like a rented mule.  Flats and Beetle, pardon me. 

Dougfish

Quote from: 5xTippett on August 15, 2012, 22:06:34 PM
Rector, I was picking on Stephen and I am still waiting on a satisfactory answer.  So far all I can give him is a C+.  By the way my wife went to Clemson as did my uncle on my mother's side.  I went to Wofford as did my daddy and his two brothers.  His sister and most of my first cousins on daddy's side went to SC.  Football season is fun. I can pick on who I want to and pull for whoever I want to.  Shoot, my grandmother's granddaddy Yancey graduated from UNC.   If they are winning I can pull for them and if they start cheating again I will disown 'em.  In the meantime I will stick to Wofford and SC, just don't tell my wife and mother about the SC part.

Ben,
I'll pick up where Bugsy left off. Besides getting outplayed, there has been the conspiracy theory floated about. Beams and his staff does a very poor job of disguising their signals. Some folks think the addition of Danny Pearman, who was a disgruntled  cast off from the Hokies staff in 2009, gave them the signal stealing edge. This is not the first time the theory has been thrown out there. Beyond that, my boys sure are predictable to me. Hell, I can predict about a third of the plays looking at down, distance, field placement and formation. I'm pretty sure the other staffs can too. Clemson just did a better job of stopping our O than anyone else....whatever the reason.
PS: They are going to run a lot of plays from the pistol formation this year. And look for a new signaling system.  Should be a fun year. And we can't wait to be champs of NC again, too!

Beetle

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on August 16, 2012, 05:57:33 AM
I heard one kid drove through the UNC campus spring semester and received a B+ in some class.

The chickens always come home to roost.  That snobbish UNC prof should have muzzled her comments back in the early 2000s when she questioned the behavior of VTs athletics.   I hope State beats you guys like a rented mule.  Flats and Beetle, pardon me.

No worries.  It's fun to watch the state fans get their jollies over beating UNC.  Meanwhile they cant beat Wake forest.    At least our players drive cars and not Massey Fegusons. you're just in love with their big goofy QB Glennon.    Why didn't he go to Tech?   

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quoteyou're just in love with their big goofy QB Glennon.    Why didn't he go to Tech?

He had no idea of how to properly mount his tractor, he was ham-fisted as hell at collecting bull semen, he couldn't spit more than 3', both of his legs are the same length, his girlfriend is a vegan, he crosses his legs like his vegan sweetheart, he doesn't own a flannel shirt, pair of jeans or work boots, he wears sandals, and probably would wear a Buff, if he fished.  All are major character defects, BUT the oddity that made him absolutely unacceptable and dashed his opportunity to be a Hokie was, he could not bring himself to establish romance with the females of the flock.  If a gorgeous ewe doesn't flip your cookie then you can't be a Hokie.   

The Dude

Quote from: AL trout bum on August 15, 2012, 21:33:09 PM
Quote from: WRector on August 15, 2012, 21:14:33 PM

Clemson is fo real. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm worried about that starting game

:D

http://www.youtube.com/v/YWCnuJXVC7A
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.